ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
If they are desperate and ask you to stay over, can you 'bargain' with them? tell them you want 5hrs pay for 3hrs work (example). I've seen it mentioned on here before but wondered if most posties do this or do they just accept the flat OT rate?
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Some people do bargain still, I believe. It used to be widespread, sometimes managers would even offer, say, 3 hours for what they knew would be less than two hours work. However them days is meant to be over and 'ghost overtime' frowned on by both union and management.
Personally i don't think the current overtime rate gives much incentive to do more, except perhaps doing your day off, but I don't haggle. I either do the overtime at the rate offered or decline it.
Personally i don't think the current overtime rate gives much incentive to do more, except perhaps doing your day off, but I don't haggle. I either do the overtime at the rate offered or decline it.
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Happens in my office all the time
I wonder what will happen if i say I’m leaving a bag in but will do it for an hour and a half overtime
I wonder what will happen if i say I’m leaving a bag in but will do it for an hour and a half overtime
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
It’s called ghost docket. It’s meant to be dead. It ain’t. PDA tracking and integration with pay systems may end it for good.
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
whats the going rate for a Sunday?jd9442 wrote:Happens in my office all the time
I wonder what will happen if i say I’m leaving a bag in but will do it for an hour and a half overtime
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
at the end of the day the DOM wants the office clear as a priority if it means paying someone an extra hour or 2 hes probably going to do it, he knows the person wont take that long to do it so PDA data wont be an issue as theres no one there to flag it. I dont see it as bribery by the postman asking for it either, hes just setting his own price for what he values his time is worth.LaggyBand wrote:It’s called ghost docket. It’s meant to be dead. It ain’t. PDA tracking and integration with pay systems may end it for good.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Managers are desperate and I’ve seen guys paid 2 hours for 45 mins work cause there’s no one to take it.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
The argument I would use is that working after 3pm is more difficult and tiring than the same work at 9am so shouldnt be paid the same
If you are doing two extra loops from another walk after your own walk it is harder work than if you were ONLY doing those two loops that day and nothing else
Thats why it annoys me when managers get sent out to do loops or bits of walks and they come back saying 'thats easy, it doesnt take the time such and such says'
Yes because thats ALL you have done that day. Not the 5 loops that came before it too.
If you are doing two extra loops from another walk after your own walk it is harder work than if you were ONLY doing those two loops that day and nothing else
Thats why it annoys me when managers get sent out to do loops or bits of walks and they come back saying 'thats easy, it doesnt take the time such and such says'
Yes because thats ALL you have done that day. Not the 5 loops that came before it too.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Yep I haggle all the time with my overtime. Depending how desperate the DOM is then you can earn good money. In the past I’ve had 4hrs for a row and 5hrs for a york of packets. Currently getty30-40 hours a weeks overtime. Even in the quiet summer months I never get less than 25hrs OT. There’s some days I finish at 15:00 but getting paid till 21:00
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
For the DOMS favourites, they get to do a deal of the century, e.g 3 hours for a walk's row on overtime. For the rest of the staff, they just get what it will take them :-(
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Nobody puts a gun to their head, they can say nogreengiant wrote:For the DOMS favourites, they get to do a deal of the century, e.g 3 hours for a walk's row on overtime. For the rest of the staff, they just get what it will take them :-(
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
I've been thinking about this recently (25 hr reserve). I take a round out, go over anything from 20 mins - 1 hr and a half Weds - Fri and get plain time overtime. Half of me thinks that's fine,I don't mind going over and it's better than the poor buggers whose DOM's shaft them and don't pay them ANY OT. The other half of me thinks about the F/T staff who are either not going over at all (ie ghosting) or going 20 mins or whatever over and getting paid 2hrs OT. Am I a mug? Not sure if I am or not!jd9442 wrote:Happens in my office all the time
I wonder what will happen if i say I’m leaving a bag in but will do it for an hour and a half overtime
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
Nope,if we finish late,we tell him the next day,he says we’ll get it back at the end of the week,which of course we we don’t,blah blah,so no bargaining involved what so ever,we did think about simply starting later the following day or saving the late finishes up and simply not turning up and having a day off in leu if he’s going to be bloody minded as ever,yet they throw money at these late tracked and early exmas sorting,,yet another cock eyed system
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
We DO NOT bank hours!!! If you go over you book overtime!! NEVER EVER work for free!!robbertwhitton wrote:Nope,if we finish late,we tell him the next day,he says we’ll get it back at the end of the week,which of course we we don’t,blah blah,so no bargaining involved what so ever,we did think about simply starting later the following day or saving the late finishes up and simply not turning up and having a day off in leu if he’s going to be bloody minded as ever,yet they throw money at these late tracked and early exmas sorting,,yet another cock eyed system
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Do you bargain with your DOM with regards to OT pay?
We’ve been here before with this debate,and been told we’re idiots working for free,and the banking of hours ,he’s oblivious to all this,and ignores us,and the constant battle and conversation is tiresome,,but I do take your point and agree with you,we smaller units seem to be a soft touch,number one wrote:We DO NOT bank hours!!! If you go over you book overtime!! NEVER EVER work for free!!robbertwhitton wrote:Nope,if we finish late,we tell him the next day,he says we’ll get it back at the end of the week,which of course we we don’t,blah blah,so no bargaining involved what so ever,we did think about simply starting later the following day or saving the late finishes up and simply not turning up and having a day off in leu if he’s going to be bloody minded as ever,yet they throw money at these late tracked and early exmas sorting,,yet another cock eyed system