ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
theres no rules against it. Different OT is allocated to different tasks.
The manager will likely question why you didnt complete your own on OT.
The manager will likely question why you didnt complete your own on OT.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
I'm sure your manager will find someone else to the other ot rather than let you do it after cutting off. I would if I was your manager!FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Then the answer to your question is no as they have increased your contracted hours then your first priority is to finish your walk within these hours. Had they held you to your P/T contracted hours then you couls have cut off and you are at liberty to seek additional hours from a different function. You would not have been popular with the delivery manager but hey ho tough s**t.FirstPost wrote:yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Doesn't matter if they have been made up to ft hours or not, at this time of year very few duties can be completed in the allocated time.rehabron wrote:Then the answer to your question is no as they have increased your contracted hours then your first priority is to finish your walk within these hours. Had they held you to your P/T contracted hours then you couls have cut off and you are at liberty to seek additional hours from a different function. You would not have been popular with the delivery manager but hey ho tough s**t.FirstPost wrote:yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
For an example a HCT duty may require multiple bag drops and an extra !hr + to complete walking in the cold/wind /rain but there's also the option of doing an 1hrs overtime doing afternoon IPS sitting in a nice warm office, which would you rather do?
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
You must have soft managers in they'd give you the option! No manager I've met in royal mail would offer indoor overtime starting at duty end to a person who has cut off, they rather do it themselves than give it to someone who has cut offA2B wrote:Doesn't matter if they have been made up to ft hours or not, at this time of year very few duties can be completed in the allocated time.rehabron wrote:Then the answer to your question is no as they have increased your contracted hours then your first priority is to finish your walk within these hours. Had they held you to your P/T contracted hours then you couls have cut off and you are at liberty to seek additional hours from a different function. You would not have been popular with the delivery manager but hey ho tough s**t.FirstPost wrote:yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
For an example a HCT duty may require multiple bag drops and an extra !hr + to complete walking in the cold/wind /rain but there's also the option of doing an 1hrs overtime doing afternoon IPS sitting in a nice warm office, which would you rather do?
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Or the other opinion could be that you have let managers get away with walking over you?citypostie wrote:You must have soft managers in they'd give you the option! No manager I've met in royal mail would offer indoor overtime starting at duty end to a person who has cut off, they rather do it themselves than give it to someone who has cut offA2B wrote:Doesn't matter if they have been made up to ft hours or not, at this time of year very few duties can be completed in the allocated time.rehabron wrote:Then the answer to your question is no as they have increased your contracted hours then your first priority is to finish your walk within these hours. Had they held you to your P/T contracted hours then you couls have cut off and you are at liberty to seek additional hours from a different function. You would not have been popular with the delivery manager but hey ho tough s**t.FirstPost wrote:yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
For an example a HCT duty may require multiple bag drops and an extra !hr + to complete walking in the cold/wind /rain but there's also the option of doing an 1hrs overtime doing afternoon IPS sitting in a nice warm office, which would you rather do?
Overtime has to be allocated fairly, if the manager picks and chooses who gets overtime your office needs to get it sorted
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
There's no rule against it but as part of the cutting off procedure you would have to give a reason why you didn't want to work over.
If that reason is that you wanted to work your contracted hours which you're obviously entitled to do then you're going to look bloody stupid then asking for more overtime.
If that reason is that you would rather somebody else did the shitty work while you helped yourself to some easier overtime I think any sensible manager would tell you to do one.
If that reason is that you wanted to work your contracted hours which you're obviously entitled to do then you're going to look bloody stupid then asking for more overtime.
If that reason is that you would rather somebody else did the shitty work while you helped yourself to some easier overtime I think any sensible manager would tell you to do one.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
As a pure numbers game it does.Overtime has to be allocated fairly,
As far as the type of overtime well try going to an Industrial Tribunal and arguing that somebody got "better" overtime than you.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
Ha ha. I'd love to see someone cutting off because it's raining ask to do some cushy indoor sorting. I've never had a manager walk over me, but if I was daft enough to think I could not complete my duty because I'd rather do some easy indoor work I'd expect a manager to tell me to do one and then be funny with me for evermore.A2B wrote:Or the other opinion could be that you have let managers get away with walking over you?citypostie wrote:You must have soft managers in they'd give you the option! No manager I've met in royal mail would offer indoor overtime starting at duty end to a person who has cut off, they rather do it themselves than give it to someone who has cut offA2B wrote:Doesn't matter if they have been made up to ft hours or not, at this time of year very few duties can be completed in the allocated time.rehabron wrote:Then the answer to your question is no as they have increased your contracted hours then your first priority is to finish your walk within these hours. Had they held you to your P/T contracted hours then you couls have cut off and you are at liberty to seek additional hours from a different function. You would not have been popular with the delivery manager but hey ho tough s**t.FirstPost wrote:yes, 6;24am startrehabron wrote:Have you been made up to F/T hours over Christmas?FirstPost wrote:Can I do this? Cut off my walk at my contracted time but then do OT in the office rather than stay out and finish my walk?
For an example a HCT duty may require multiple bag drops and an extra !hr + to complete walking in the cold/wind /rain but there's also the option of doing an 1hrs overtime doing afternoon IPS sitting in a nice warm office, which would you rather do?
Overtime has to be allocated fairly, if the manager picks and chooses who gets overtime your office needs to get it sorted
I can't believe anyone would try and say someone should be able to cut off then do other overtime straight away! I'd actually love to see a rep try and argue that it's in anyway acceptable.
So according to you it would be acceptable for me to cut off at this time of year, maybe bring 2 loops back but say to the manager here's my mail I can't do but I'll go load up to yorkies of parcels and do them on overtime because it's easier?
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
You never know it is possible there is some postie who would lap up some extra walking in the dark and cold instead of some cushy indoor work. Possible but highly IMPROBABLE.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
[quote="citypostie]
Ha ha. I'd love to see someone cutting off because it's raining ask to do some cushy indoor sorting. I've never had a manager walk over me, but if I was daft enough to think I could not complete my duty because I'd rather do some easy indoor work I'd expect a manager to tell me to do one and then be funny with me for evermore.
I can't believe anyone would try and say someone should be able to cut off then do other overtime straight away! I'd actually love to see a rep try and argue that it's in anyway acceptable.
So according to you it would be acceptable for me to cut off at this time of year, maybe bring 2 loops back but say to the manager here's my mail I can't do but I'll go load up to yorkies of parcels and do them on overtime because it's easier?[/quote]
So you put your name down on the overtime rota to do Callers Office, IPS, Packets or whatever and are allocated for example a Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday turns out to be horrendous delivery wise and you have no chance of completing before you are due to start your afternoon/ evening overtime. I will be back at the office at my finishing time ready to start the overtime i have been allocated (usually 30mins after my duty ends), it's down to the DOM to sort out the cut off which i would have prewarned about
Ha ha. I'd love to see someone cutting off because it's raining ask to do some cushy indoor sorting. I've never had a manager walk over me, but if I was daft enough to think I could not complete my duty because I'd rather do some easy indoor work I'd expect a manager to tell me to do one and then be funny with me for evermore.
I can't believe anyone would try and say someone should be able to cut off then do other overtime straight away! I'd actually love to see a rep try and argue that it's in anyway acceptable.
So according to you it would be acceptable for me to cut off at this time of year, maybe bring 2 loops back but say to the manager here's my mail I can't do but I'll go load up to yorkies of parcels and do them on overtime because it's easier?[/quote]
So you put your name down on the overtime rota to do Callers Office, IPS, Packets or whatever and are allocated for example a Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday turns out to be horrendous delivery wise and you have no chance of completing before you are due to start your afternoon/ evening overtime. I will be back at the office at my finishing time ready to start the overtime i have been allocated (usually 30mins after my duty ends), it's down to the DOM to sort out the cut off which i would have prewarned about
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Cutting off from walk but then doing a different type of OT?
right at the end of the day its still work not completed, its up to the manager to sort out which bit gets preference and who should do it.A2B wrote:
So you put your name down on the overtime rota to do Callers Office, IPS, Packets or whatever and are allocated for example a Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday turns out to be horrendous delivery wise and you have no chance of completing before you are due to start your afternoon/ evening overtime. I will be back at the office at my finishing time ready to start the overtime i have been allocated (usually 30mins after my duty ends), it's down to the DOM to sort out the cut off which i would have prewarned about
It may be most cost efficient to send the person who cut off over to do their OT and get someone else to pick up the cut off.