ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

trolley job..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by leolion855 »

first time ever im doing a hct job, what to expect?, i know i dont take oversized but what about specials/tracked. Do i take a mail bag with me or do i just do it bundle by bundle?
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by hans solo »

you should have received appropriate training
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Postie45 »

or receive it tomorrow, which of course wont happen
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Glp28357 »

leolion855 wrote:first time ever im doing a hct job, what to expect?, i know i dont take oversized but what about specials/tracked. Do i take a mail bag with me or do i just do it bundle by bundle?
I am very often on a HCT walk and take everything I can get into the HCT, including specials and tracked. If I can't fit it all into the HCT, I take a bag full with the stuff for the first part of the walk.

I find a bag invaluable for streets with packets or more than one bundle of post, which I wouldn't be able to carry otherwise.

I just put it all in the bag and leave the HCT locked to a lamp post or similar, at the end of the street.

It works for me.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

trolley job..

Post by doorstepped »

don't forget you can only leave your HCT for 10 minutes at a time and that ALL specials MUST stay on your person at ALL times.

if you were to do it by the book you would be bringing at least one loop back a day.

just make sure you prep your HCT properly, I have taught newbies to put a RM sack between loops to help when out on the road with what goes with each loop etc.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Glp28357 »

doorstepped wrote:don't forget you can only leave your HCT for 10 minutes at a time and that ALL specials MUST stay on your person at ALL times.

if you were to do it by the book you would be bringing at least one loop back a day.

just make sure you prep your HCT properly, I have taught newbies to put a RM sack between loops to help when out on the road with what goes with each loop etc.
I've found that HCT walks don't really have loops, like van share walks do, as it's just one street after another.

I keep my specials in the bag, which stays with me until it's empty and then it goes inside the HCT.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by HTPostman »

The biggest problem I've had when doing HCT duties I'm not familiar with is finding the right bundle/parcel in the trolley, they all get jumbled about.

This is my solution, I've been told by a few of my colleagues it's silly and doesn't make sense but it works for me.

So normally, you'd number the bundles 1, 2, 3, 4. Then bag 2 you'd have another set of bundles numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. Thats all well and good but once they get jumbled around in the trolley, suddenly you've got 6 bundle 1s all over, 6 bundle 2s etc.

I decided to number bundles in the first bag 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D. Any packets for that bag I'll write 1 on...if I have an extra couple of minutes while prepping I'll write on the 1st bundle how many packets there are I'll write on the parcel when I will need to get it out of the bag (eg parcel is for 50 King Street which is in bundle 1C, so I write 1C on the parcel).

Bundle 2 follows the same process: 2A, 2B, 2C. And so on.

Saves me a lot of time going through the trolley figuring out what goes with what and on busy days I can simply stack all the bundles one end and all the parcels at the other. Simples

Again if I'm doing a van share and neither of us know the round I'll do the same method, confuses the life out of my van partner but to me it saves us having to constantly go through all 18bags in the back of the van finding the right one.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Glp28357 »

HTPostman wrote:The biggest problem I've had when doing HCT duties I'm not familiar with is finding the right bundle/parcel in the trolley, they all get jumbled about.
How do they get "jumbled about"?

Surely, if you pack your HCT properly, that doesn't happen. It's never happened to me. Just pack the bundles in order.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by HTPostman »

Glp28357 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:The biggest problem I've had when doing HCT duties I'm not familiar with is finding the right bundle/parcel in the trolley, they all get jumbled about.
How do they get "jumbled about"?

Surely, if you pack your HCT properly, that doesn't happen. It's never happened to me. Just pack the bundles in order.
Lucky you, always happens with me, especially when you're pushing the trolley half way round and you get a parcel out for an address, you have to move a bundle out of the way or you advise one then it gets mixed in with the rest.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by jd9442 »

doorstepped wrote:don't forget you can only leave your HCT for 10 minutes at a time and that ALL specials MUST stay on your person at ALL times.

if you were to do it by the book you would be bringing at least one loop back a day.

just make sure you prep your HCT properly, I have taught newbies to put a RM sack between loops to help when out on the road with what goes with each loop etc.
This true? I’ve done a hct duty twice and it’s filled with about 6 bags, trolley underneath, take bag out, walk around with trolley, takes half an hour, then return to hct
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by A2B »

You take out a HCT and a LWT? Why?
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Glp28357 »

HTPostman wrote:
Lucky you, always happens with me, especially when you're pushing the trolley half way round and you get a parcel out for an address, you have to move a bundle out of the way or you advise one then it gets mixed in with the rest.

It sounds like you need to pack your HCT in a better way, such as putting the packets to the left and letters to the right in each half of the HCT.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by Glp28357 »

jd9442 wrote:
This true? I’ve done a hct duty twice and it’s filled with about 6 bags, trolley underneath, take bag out, walk around with trolley, takes half an hour, then return to hct
I can't believe that you take a LWT out as well as a HCT!

What's that all about?
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

trolley job..

Post by jd9442 »

No idea lol
Was when I first started
Lwt was under the hct