ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waterproof trainers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
silver_fox
Posts: 110
Joined: 27 Jan 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by silver_fox »

Old YDS were good , but discontinued, so I got a pair of Bandera trainers with michelin soles. They are comfortable but after a few months the front has split apart and a hole appear in the big toe area.
These are also discontinued now.
This leaves magnum shoes, easyflex clown shoes and anvils available.
All of which I found uncomfortable. Magnum shoes heavy and high heels, anvil if I remember were very narrow and squashed toes. Easy flex I tried and found uncomfortable.
Anyone got any ideas? My feet are getting soaked in these dodgy (but comfortable) banderas!
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I tried ordering the banderas again (best trainer they have had) and ended up getting the anvils. Wore the anvils for a day and my feet was killing me. They don't support the foot, I keep rolling my ankle in them because they are too narrow. So I've gone back to my banderas which have no tread left but still grip better than the brand new anvils. Not tried the other ones and I won't be seen dead in the clown shoes.
td2011
Posts: 7
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 18:23
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by td2011 »

Has the same experience with the banderas. After a few months the front came apart. Ordered the new red ones, wore them twice, feet in agony! So a bit of clear silicone to repair the banderas and good as new lol
scotboyblue
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by scotboyblue »

I got sick off RM footwear . Never seem to be comfortable or decent fit . Ended up buying a pair of Reebok Sawcut off M and M direct for £26.99 . Grudge paying out for footwear but they are lighter and comfortable to wear. Goretex as well. Problem is only go up to size 8.5 at moment larger sizes sold out.
silver_fox
Posts: 110
Joined: 27 Jan 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by silver_fox »

Those Reebok's looks good value what is the sizing like? My banderas are 8 but YDss was 7. Merrell I'm 8 also. Thanks for advice.
scotboyblue
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by scotboyblue »

Sizing pretty decent size 8 should be ok .
jacks
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 16:12
Gender: Female

Waterproof trainers

Post by jacks »

Just been on Dimensions website and Magnum Banderas are back in stock :nana
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by Rapidryan88 »

jacks wrote:Just been on Dimensions website and Magnum Banderas are back in stock :nana
Are they any good? I’ve got the red and black waterproof shoes atm but they are really tough on the sole so I just use my normal trainers tbh. Don’t like how clunky and big the Royal Mail footwear is.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by HTPostman »

Thanks for this thread, found it really useful as I'm after some new waterproof trainers.

For the first 2 weeks I wore my own - no problems.

Within a day of wearing my newly arrived black and red RM trainers, I'm getting blisters all over, to the point it looked like I was getting infections and was bleeding on my soles (yuck). I've run half marathons in baking feet with less foot problems!

I send them back and order magnums on the advice of one of the line managers who says they are really good, and return to wearing my trainers. My feet clear up, blisters disappear.

Magnums arrive, I last 2 days before I'm hobbling about in excruciating pain with each step. Start getting blisters.

Back to my trainers, blisters have gone.

I know I'm not the only one struggling. Have been advised by the line manager I'd need a doctors note if I wish to continue wearing my own footwear (really???) but I think that's the least of their problems right now.

My trainers are just about done and I refuse to wear RM ones anymore so I'm looking to buy some more trainers before the snow arrives.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
jacks
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 16:12
Gender: Female

Waterproof trainers

Post by jacks »

Rapidryan88 wrote:
jacks wrote:Just been on Dimensions website and Magnum Banderas are back in stock :nana
Are they any good? I’ve got the red and black waterproof shoes atm but they are really tough on the sole so I just use my normal trainers tbh. Don’t like how clunky and big the Royal Mail footwear is.
I previously preferred the YDS ones but they were discontinued. I think if you were ok with the YDS ones it seems to be a good indication that you will be ok with the Banderas. I've not tried the red and black 'clown shoes' cos they looked too flat on the soles for me. I need a lot of cushioning underfoot and I find the Banderas are really good for this. I've had no problems with the Banderas, but one person in my office said they were really painful for him. However, I am usually a size 5 but in the Banderas I find a size 6 to be more comfortable, so you may want to consider ordering a size up from your normal size. I know what you mean about the clunky aspect of RM footwear and unfortunately the Banderas are also quite clunky, but for me the pros outweigh the cons on them. I found that I can wear them from new with no rubbing or blistering, and my feet feel well supported in them. I hope this info helps you :thumbup
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Waterproof trainers

Post by Rapidryan88 »

jacks wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:
jacks wrote:Just been on Dimensions website and Magnum Banderas are back in stock :nana
Are they any good? I’ve got the red and black waterproof shoes atm but they are really tough on the sole so I just use my normal trainers tbh. Don’t like how clunky and big the Royal Mail footwear is.
Thanks for the reply :) the clown shoes are so flat and I only wear them to walk my dog when it rains lol they really make my feet hurt.
I previously preferred the YDS ones but they were discontinued. I think if you were ok with the YDS ones it seems to be a good indication that you will be ok with the Banderas. I've not tried the red and black 'clown shoes' cos they looked too flat on the soles for me. I need a lot of cushioning underfoot and I find the Banderas are really good for this. I've had no problems with the Banderas, but one person in my office said they were really painful for him. However, I am usually a size 5 but in the Banderas I find a size 6 to be more comfortable, so you may want to consider ordering a size up from your normal size. I know what you mean about the clunky aspect of RM footwear and unfortunately the Banderas are also quite clunky, but for me the pros outweigh the cons on them. I found that I can wear them from new with no rubbing or blistering, and my feet feel well supported in them. I hope this info helps you :thumbup
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Waterproof trainers

Post by NewPostieUK »

silver_fox wrote:Old YDS were good , but discontinued, so I got a pair of Bandera trainers with michelin soles. They are comfortable but after a few months the front has split apart and a hole appear in the big toe area.
These are also discontinued now.
You are in luck. They are back. Not sure of it's still a trial, but you can get them now, and they are the best thing since Dr Martens. I don't know about waterproof,

I don't see how any footwear can be waterproof, except maybe wellies. I only have two concerns when it copmes to footwear, they have to fit and they have to have grip in the wet (and ice and snow). Docs and Banderas are the only shoes that fit the bill for me. I just hope they bring out a boot version.