ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
At my office they get the 'learning' walks, the walks take longest to complete, have thee most parcels and are the longest to travel to and back from with a HCT trolley!
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Of Course they do.... Why? I hear you ask. It's because Managers know that they can take the pish, confuse , belittle, bully, coax, undermine and overwhelm new starters as they are very likely to be submissive, pliable, lack knowledge, obedient, un-argumentative - obviously they want to keep the job so they suck it up and do what they are told, then they get stuck in the habit and continue in the same vain.
I think Managers will always try and employ individuals that will do what they say and just do what they want. Unfortunately for them in my office they thought they could get that with me - the soon found out different and still are and will as time goes on. I am no mug, idiot or ass licker.
I think Managers will always try and employ individuals that will do what they say and just do what they want. Unfortunately for them in my office they thought they could get that with me - the soon found out different and still are and will as time goes on. I am no mug, idiot or ass licker.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
There's no training walks at our place. If they're any good they're quickly thrown anywhere like the rest of us reserves, if they're struggling they'll try and find them a regular duty for a few months.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
yeah especially when they have these probation periods, new workers feel intimidated to make sure they complete no matter how busy it is for no extra OT.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
I think it all depends what your Dom and Lino are like,favouritism seemed to rule a lot in my old office,whether you had been there 1 week,1 month, 1 year or even 10 or 20 years. 
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2056
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Maybe your just not as good coz your new 
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Unfortunately being a reserve and being a duty holder are two different worlds.
Being messed about, doing walks blind, fighting just to know what your day off is next week, fighting for extended delivery OT, getting grief for not doing “favours” for customers like the duty holder does, being made to feel slow at prep, getting the worst door to door bit to do, head spinning trying to learn new areas sometimes every day - all things not experienced once you’re on a set duty.
This job became so much different when I went from one to the other. That’s why I do what I can to help the reserves. You’ll find that the better a reserve you are, the more youlll be messed about. Also you’ll hear senior folk say things like “I was a reserve twenty years ago”. True, but being a reserve back then was very different to being one now, I speak from experience. Now it’s dog eat dog.
Being messed about, doing walks blind, fighting just to know what your day off is next week, fighting for extended delivery OT, getting grief for not doing “favours” for customers like the duty holder does, being made to feel slow at prep, getting the worst door to door bit to do, head spinning trying to learn new areas sometimes every day - all things not experienced once you’re on a set duty.
This job became so much different when I went from one to the other. That’s why I do what I can to help the reserves. You’ll find that the better a reserve you are, the more youlll be messed about. Also you’ll hear senior folk say things like “I was a reserve twenty years ago”. True, but being a reserve back then was very different to being one now, I speak from experience. Now it’s dog eat dog.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Being a reserve now is a lot worse than it was say 10 years ago , having your own walk is alot better obviously. Over time your seniority will increase and you will get your own walk.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Being a reserve is the crap of crap. Like a few have said, it's totally different now being a reserve than it was on years gone past, but being a postie has changed so much also. Now your a , postman, postman driver, phg locker, ect when in the past these all attracted extra allowances. You should take a few minutes a day to show and help the newbie as we have all been there when everyone has just about left and your still sorting with 2 or 3 have still to throw up and most, back in the day, would have been bumped into the drivers. I know that theirs COACHES who get an extra £32 per week, but if their not doing their job, just help your OPPO out. 
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Things were certainly different in 2004 when i started now in my office most have there own duties (good one too) and I'm a reserve full time.
-
Blinkboy44
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
It’s really not that bad being a reserve..
I hated it at first, all I wanted was stability and to know what I was doing in advance. but if your office is like mine and you get put on a different walk every single day, as soon as you know them all it gets easy, and you have a much better day doing a decent walk that you wouldn’t usually be seeing for 15 odd years. VS being on a horrible duty every day.
Yes you do get messed around by management, but as long as you stick up to them and use the cut off procedure if you know the walk you’ve been put on is one of the longer and busier duty’s, I don’t see the issue with it! Plus you get a variation of duty’s, Think id get bored doing the same walk every day!
Only downside is you don’t get long weekends like duty holders, which i still don’t understand
I hated it at first, all I wanted was stability and to know what I was doing in advance. but if your office is like mine and you get put on a different walk every single day, as soon as you know them all it gets easy, and you have a much better day doing a decent walk that you wouldn’t usually be seeing for 15 odd years. VS being on a horrible duty every day.
Yes you do get messed around by management, but as long as you stick up to them and use the cut off procedure if you know the walk you’ve been put on is one of the longer and busier duty’s, I don’t see the issue with it! Plus you get a variation of duty’s, Think id get bored doing the same walk every day!
Only downside is you don’t get long weekends like duty holders, which i still don’t understand
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Absolutely 100%. Look upon it as a period of darkness before the (semi) light! I have noticed an increase in those who only last a few days more recently, something is wrong in how we treat new posties now for sure.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Yes. it is a disgrace, but yuo wil be your own wost enemy.
-
nowt on the wireless
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 27 Mar 2010, 19:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
Depends if they're prepared to be boss's yes person then juniorority rules
What A Smashing Blouse You're Wearing
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Do new posties get the bottom of the barrel at your office?
I don't mind being a reserve to be honest, this job can be quite boring, at least it's something different now and again. I know virtually every walk in our office now anyway.Blinkboy44 wrote:It’s really not that bad being a reserve..
I hated it at first, all I wanted was stability and to know what I was doing in advance. but if your office is like mine and you get put on a different walk every single day, as soon as you know them all it gets easy, and you have a much better day doing a decent walk that you wouldn’t usually be seeing for 15 odd years. VS being on a horrible duty every day.
Yes you do get messed around by management, but as long as you stick up to them and use the cut off procedure if you know the walk you’ve been put on is one of the longer and busier duty’s, I don’t see the issue with it! Plus you get a variation of duty’s, Think id get bored doing the same walk every day!
Only downside is you don’t get long weekends like duty holders, which i still don’t understand