ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
-
pakuszta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 16:13
- Gender: Female
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Hello,
I have researched online about the annual Holiday Policy in Royal Mail. I have found an article/document that showed, as of 2014, "the process used must include all employees on an equal basis, whether full or part-time, and must not systematically favour certain employees, such as those who are more senior." However when I asked my union rep about booking my annual leave, he said that I couldn't as the people that worked longer got priority. That really annoyed me as I only have a few day window in the year where I can go on holiday to my family because I have to match it with my husband's. Is what he told me breaking the rule I have stated before?
To add to that, is there a specific deadline by when workers need to know their set holiday dates? Because I couldn't choose my dates, I asked him by when he would tell us, to which he said "whenever I have time". Should I go up to him and inform him of the regulations around Holiday leave?
Thank you for any help in this matter
I have researched online about the annual Holiday Policy in Royal Mail. I have found an article/document that showed, as of 2014, "the process used must include all employees on an equal basis, whether full or part-time, and must not systematically favour certain employees, such as those who are more senior." However when I asked my union rep about booking my annual leave, he said that I couldn't as the people that worked longer got priority. That really annoyed me as I only have a few day window in the year where I can go on holiday to my family because I have to match it with my husband's. Is what he told me breaking the rule I have stated before?
To add to that, is there a specific deadline by when workers need to know their set holiday dates? Because I couldn't choose my dates, I asked him by when he would tell us, to which he said "whenever I have time". Should I go up to him and inform him of the regulations around Holiday leave?
Thank you for any help in this matter
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Good luck with that, I'm still waiting for mine too and ours is done by seniority. Rep doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it either.pakuszta wrote:Hello,
I have researched online about the annual Holiday Policy in Royal Mail. I have found an article/document that showed, as of 2014, "the process used must include all employees on an equal basis, whether full or part-time, and must not systematically favour certain employees, such as those who are more senior." However when I asked my union rep about booking my annual leave, he said that I couldn't as the people that worked longer got priority. That really annoyed me as I only have a few day window in the year where I can go on holiday to my family because I have to match it with my husband's. Is what he told me breaking the rule I have stated before?
To add to that, is there a specific deadline by when workers need to know their set holiday dates? Because I couldn't choose my dates, I asked him by when he would tell us, to which he said "whenever I have time". Should I go up to him and inform him of the regulations around Holiday leave?
Thank you for any help in this matter
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Seniority should not apply with holiday picks.
-
pakuszta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 16:13
- Gender: Female
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
I know about it ,but in my office they still going follow this .Thanks for confirming .
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
you're manager will tell you anything, as long as it makes things easier for him/her and not for your benefit
-
pakuszta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 16:13
- Gender: Female
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
lcook282 wrote:you're manager will tell you anything, as long as it makes things easier for him/her and not for your benefit
I know ,so I trying to find official documents with booking of anuual leave rules and show them .
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Your rep needs educating, Show him/her the policy and put a disagreement in.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Simple seniority mustn't be used.
We used to have a list that when it first started ran in seniority order.
The next year the six or so at the bottom, who had last pick moved up to the top and got first pick, then the next year the next lot moved to the top.
We now have a board with a spread of the available A/L weeks. We get told to go pick your first two weeks, when that's done and everyone has picked their first two it's pretty much a free for all for the rest.
If more people want a particular week than there are spaces for I think it would end up being decided by seniority; but because it's all up for everyone to see and there aren't too may a**holes at my place people simply pick what's available. Nice and civilised
That said, if someone with a decent week leaves...then the hunger games begin.
This hasn't provided you with the exact information you are after but I'm sure someone can provide a link. But might give you an idea of how it could be done.
If all else fails go above your office reps head and seek advice from your branch.
Annual leave should all be picked by now. But as it stands I've only picked my first two....Only in royal mail would you have to use up two full weeks to accommodate a 7 night holiday.

We used to have a list that when it first started ran in seniority order.
The next year the six or so at the bottom, who had last pick moved up to the top and got first pick, then the next year the next lot moved to the top.
We now have a board with a spread of the available A/L weeks. We get told to go pick your first two weeks, when that's done and everyone has picked their first two it's pretty much a free for all for the rest.
If more people want a particular week than there are spaces for I think it would end up being decided by seniority; but because it's all up for everyone to see and there aren't too may a**holes at my place people simply pick what's available. Nice and civilised
That said, if someone with a decent week leaves...then the hunger games begin.
This hasn't provided you with the exact information you are after but I'm sure someone can provide a link. But might give you an idea of how it could be done.
If all else fails go above your office reps head and seek advice from your branch.
Annual leave should all be picked by now. But as it stands I've only picked my first two....Only in royal mail would you have to use up two full weeks to accommodate a 7 night holiday.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Booking leave at RM has to be one of the worst things about the job
Are there any offices that book their leave online yet? DOM says it's on it's way, sooner the better!
Also are most offices on the annual leave in hours system now?
Are there any offices that book their leave online yet? DOM says it's on it's way, sooner the better!
Also are most offices on the annual leave in hours system now?
-
pakuszta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 16:13
- Gender: Female
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
I get both daily and hourly ,I hope that online holiday booking will come soon .A2B wrote:Booking leave at RM has to be one of the worst things about the job![]()
Are there any offices that book their leave online yet? DOM says it's on it's way, sooner the better!
Also are most offices on the annual leave in hours system now?
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
You'd think we were all brain surgeons with the difficulty of booking days off 
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
Said it would be done through the PSP ? I believe it's part of the RM plan to reduce management roles and rely more on the work place coach to run the office.97gaz wrote:It won't happen. Royal Mail Must have the exact amount of staff available daily. You're never going to be able to go online (or walk into the office) and book any week you want. I know many offices are playing fast and loose with leave at the moment. Leave is supposed to be planned a year ahead. By that I mean that everyones annual leave should be allocated for next year. Everyones . There should not be any spaces on the office leave calendar.pakuszta wrote:I get both daily and hourly ,I hope that online holiday booking will come soon .A2B wrote:Booking leave at RM has to be one of the worst things about the job![]()
Are there any offices that book their leave online yet? DOM says it's on it's way, sooner the better!
Also are most offices on the annual leave in hours system now?
As for all annual leave being booked, since i've worked for RM i have always kept days unbooked for emergencies.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Problem with booking annual leave HELP!!!
It can show how many hours of AL are booked for a given shift and the maximum allowed hours off for a shift and the available hours97gaz wrote:Oh and I don't think PSP has the capability to show how many are off each week.