ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by crimson king »

Had a phone call from HR today regarding problems I've been having with management and the overrunning procedure. I found the person a bit confrontational to be honest, which was both surprising and not surprising, if you know what I mean?

Anyway, several times they chucked the phrase "expected Level of flexibility" at me and I asked each time what exactly they meant by that and didn't get an answer. I asked if it meant that I'm expected to go over my hours every day or what. No answer. I asked if it meant I can't finish at my contracted finish time. No answer and conversation steered elsewhere.Toward the end of the conversation they said I could ask my manager for a clear, definitive answer ...to which I laughed and said there was no way I wanted his definition of that phrase!

So, my question is,well, is this an actual Royal Mail thing? If there is, then is there a clear definition? I ask because if HR are bandying it about at this early stage, I'd like to be prepared if it pops up later on in a room with management.

Any advice or thoughts greatly received and thanks in advance
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by leolion855 »

you have a contract.... :Very Happy
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Ask HR for descriptions of terminology in writing
Chalky13
Posts: 155
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 05:29
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by Chalky13 »

At our DO, it’s been classed as going over if needed during your first 6 weeks. Paid, of course, but youre considered flexible during that time, so may have to stay out to complete

However a manager did tell staff that they’re expected to stay out longer and their review may be adversely affected if you don’t
Union didn’t really want to know apart from saying the rights thingsto appease the staff who said that’s bullying
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by yubin282 »

flexibility - just bend over and take it up the .....
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by hans solo »

the answer to that is feck all
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by chickenwittle »

I can be as flexible as they ask , right up to my finishing time , then I go home .
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by postmanzach »

This place baffles me highly. We got guys booking as little as 5 mins or 2 hours if they go over. What’s this flexibility?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by LaggyBand »

“Expected” is a dodgy word in RM. lots of things are “expected”. it’s purposely used because it’s a way of saying, “we really want you to do this, but we’d struggle to compel you to contractually”.

When they say we “expect you to” do whatever, simply respond with “am I allowed to say no?” Or, “what will happen if I do not do this thing you ask for”?

Asking for the consequence of answering how you want to answer is a great technique.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by worktotime »

you have a finish time and overtime is voluntary if you want it and o/t is NOT compulsory . and funny enough you have a contracted finish time .
Raggedy Man
Posts: 12
Joined: 19 Sep 2017, 16:01
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by Raggedy Man »

As long as your following cutting off procedure anything else could be seen by outsiders as them attempting constructive dismissal.
Last edited by Raggedy Man on 20 Nov 2018, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by Smith1212 »

worktotime wrote:you have a finish time and overtime is voluntary if you want it and o/t is NOT compulsory . and funny enough you have a contracted finish time .
Exactly work your contracted hours I’m shocked how people see this as a problem,any other job has start and finish time end of story.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by picture123 »

I think my contract says that there is a reasonable requirement for flexibility/overtime therefore I’d interpret that to mean that I work over my time once a week or so to complete or complete as much as I can. If I can work it more than once a week fair enough, if not I believe I’ve fufulled my contractual obligation of being flexible.
Startingover
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by Startingover »

lcook282 wrote:flexibility - just bend over and take it up the .....
Not with my back!
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Expected Level Of Flexibility

Post by crimson king »

Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty much confirmed what I thought...RM using terminology to suit themselves. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Just wanted to confirm it though, just in case I was missing something. You know how it is, you think you've got it and then a manager or someone says something and suddenly you start doubting yourself. Psychological warfare or some voodoo :nervous

I'm just glad I've stuck it out and been here for a while and don't have to worry about probation periods and stuff.

Anyways, thanks again...don't know what I'd do without this forum. It truly is a godsend. :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.