ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by deristrong »

Do you do half their loops to get you home at a reasonable (ish) hour or do it properley and claim extended every day?
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by leolion855 »

deristrong wrote:Do you do half their loops to get you home at a reasonable (ish) hour or do it properley and claim extended every day?
extended unless you really need to get home that day, its the only way itll flag up to the dom.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by deristrong »

You're right. People tell me not to do it but I don't need / want extended. Manager's think he's "getting there" but he simply isn't.
Chalky13
Posts: 155
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 05:29
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Chalky13 »

I had it recently (only been postie myself a few months) but the guy is never going to get it. Told the line manager the walk we’d been put on was the hardest in the DO. Cut off for 2 days, then cleared it with another guy by going over an hour.
We then went out on our own on each walk (always paired walks) and I completed ok, he stayed out 3 hours to finish, even though it was the shorter of the 2 by a long way

A month later and he’s still not improved and no sign of him being moved on
officernopants
Posts: 13
Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 06:48
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by officernopants »

Moved on? Are you suggesting these guys should lose there jobs!
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by LaggyBand »

I love getting paired with a new starter. Means you can really take your time, making sure you cover everything they ought to know, and spend less time outdoors.
Chalky13
Posts: 155
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 05:29
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Chalky13 »

officernopants wrote:Moved on? Are you suggesting these guys should lose there jobs!
Unfortunately if they’ve been fully trained, been there 6+ months and still cannot tie up, do a walk or have issues doing the job, then I’m aftaid with any job, it’s unlikely they’d be kept on. Harsh as it sounds, it’s how probation periods work and although I don’t agree with it, it’s how life is nowadays
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Smith1212 »

Chalky13 wrote:
officernopants wrote:Moved on? Are you suggesting these guys should lose there jobs!
Unfortunately if they’ve been fully trained, been there 6+ months and still cannot tie up, do a walk or have issues doing the job, then I’m aftaid with any job, it’s unlikely they’d be kept on. Harsh as it sounds, it’s how probation periods work and although I don’t agree with it, it’s how life is nowadays
Sounds harsh I mean usually it’s the full timer moaning because there waiting around.But have been in the office over hour or so more lol,also if anyone questions me at worn just check my pda actuals,some people take longer than others to adapt to the job in my view :Very Happy
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Postie45 »

deristrong wrote:Do you do half their loops to get you home at a reasonable (ish) hour or do it properley and claim extended every day?
do it properly, if youre back to the van long before the other person you either help them out or do oversized packets (if youre driver). If you do help them its still eating into overall delivery time, so youre not going to complete. If you choose to cut off then you just have to explain to the manager that you were helping out your partner so much that it meant you couldnt finish, i wouldnt feel bad about saying this, its factual and you only have to be honest about it.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Seymour Buts »

This is always difficult. There is a lady in our office currently, who is lovely, but she just isn't gonna grasp it. I've been with her a few times and cut off; she's now been paired on a regular walk to try and help her out but still no luck. She's paired with another lady who is also a saint, she's been clearing upto now but with Xmas pressure building it's becoming too much. They're leaving a quarter everyday (half a walk) and still going over hours and hours. Nobody likes to be mean, but she's just not up to it.

The difficulty is I find you work twice as hard, coz you're working around them and doing everything. I've even done loops for people before now on top of oversized. I'd just do it by the book and cut off.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by postslippete »

Everyone works at their own pace but best bet is to ask for a few loops off before you even start prepping. There are some posties who were just born slow I'm afraid and to me there is little point in helping them out by doing their own loops. If you are helping them out on their loops whilst doing yours and finishing at a reasonable time, then the manager aren't going to stop them working with you are they?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Pancake123
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
Gender: Female

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Pancake123 »

I am a newbie,working nearly 6 weeks in the company.I am trying to do my best,honestly,but the only one day when I finish on time (or a bit earlier) is Tuesday.I can see that management changed tactic right now, they have stopped moaning about my speed.But Day by day I am on different duties,different frames,walks,van’s colleague...I think I dont have a chance to get faster doing new walks daily...But I dont mind,as long as I dont have to listen complains it is fine.Apart from that,I hope I will have a chance to get transfer to MC or Distribution Centre after 26 weeks completed in DO :crazy: Hopefully MC are better place to work... :roll:
Chalky13
Posts: 155
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 05:29
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by Chalky13 »

That’s a fair point and should be taken into account

My experience with the new guy was based on him doing the same walk for a month and still getting lost.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by jd9442 »

I wonder if the newbie is using a trolley and taking a break and partner is running around and not taking breaks
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

paired with (relative) newbie who's never gonna get it.

Post by scoobydo79 »

We were all new to the job once!!!