ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tracked items question
-
rodtheplod
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
I have asked at my office and no-one seems to know the answer.
When scanning a tracked item does every single one then send a text message to the recipient?
If so could that text message not be used in place of a Notice Left card for collection from the DO?
If some do and some don't can the PDA not recognise this from the scan and alert the postie.
This way those that do have text messages sent wouldn't need a card thus saving the postie time from writing one out.
Or am I forgetting this is RM and IT are about 10 years behind.
When scanning a tracked item does every single one then send a text message to the recipient?
If so could that text message not be used in place of a Notice Left card for collection from the DO?
If some do and some don't can the PDA not recognise this from the scan and alert the postie.
This way those that do have text messages sent wouldn't need a card thus saving the postie time from writing one out.
Or am I forgetting this is RM and IT are about 10 years behind.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Tracked items question
Not every one sends a text some send emails and others nothing as it all depends on what info the sender has on you
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Not everyone gets a text message, some do, some dont. You still need to leave a 739.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Some do some don’t. It all depends what details the customer (sender) has included on the tracking system. It’s nothing to do with Royal Mail
-
goneaway
- Posts: 314
- Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Bear in mind as well that some buyers put in a fake mobile number or email address on sellers websites. People lose their phones or update their numbers and emails and forget to change the details on the seller's website. And many people still don't have a mobile or email they can access on a phone. Or have trouble working them!
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Is cutting off mail to deliver tracked a standard thing in this company?
I know specials obv need done before the time limit.
I had to bring back a ton of letters and untracked parcels the other day, on a duty I have never been on AND had to throw into the frame, in favour for the tracked stuff.
Ofc manager said I would have plenty of time to finish... Did I bugger #yawn
I know specials obv need done before the time limit.
I had to bring back a ton of letters and untracked parcels the other day, on a duty I have never been on AND had to throw into the frame, in favour for the tracked stuff.
Ofc manager said I would have plenty of time to finish... Did I bugger #yawn
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
normal where i amGoingPostal86 wrote:Is cutting off mail to deliver tracked a standard thing in this company?
I know specials obv need done before the time limit.
I had to bring back a ton of letters and untracked parcels the other day, on a duty I have never been on AND had to throw into the frame, in favour for the tracked stuff.
Ofc manager said I would have plenty of time to finish... Did I bugger #yawn
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Every time you click the submit button to say a tracked item has been delivered the customer will get sent a message by text or email to say it has been delivered. It will specify if the item was handed to the recipient, left with a neighbour and their details, or left in a safe place and details for that. Therefore problems can arise for instance you mark an item down as delivered to recipient but the item was left with a neighbour instead.rodtheplod wrote:I have asked at my office and no-one seems to know the answer.
When scanning a tracked item does every single one then send a text message to the recipient?
If so could that text message not be used in place of a Notice Left card for collection from the DO?
If some do and some don't can the PDA not recognise this from the scan and alert the postie.
This way those that do have text messages sent wouldn't need a card thus saving the postie time from writing one out.
Or am I forgetting this is RM and IT are about 10 years behind.
It's probably too much to ask for the PDA to know if and which customers have access to a mobile phone and/or a computer or the internet. Not everyone will have access to these even nowadays. So leaving a 739 card or a card to say where an item has been left such as with a neighbour or safe place is still best policy and avoids complaints and hassle later.
Making sure you hand 739 items back into the callers office or place them in the correct place in a office storage area rather than left in a mail pouch or in the van etc is also a good thing to do.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
If nothing else gets delivered the SDs and Tracked items have to be delivered each day. This is standard policy even if everything falls apart and whole walks cannot be delivered. RM already knows these kind of problems are going to arise this Christmas so non parcel type mail items will be set aside completely or given second priority this year. Last year was bad -this year is going to be much worse in terms of cards being delivered way after Xmas day.GoingPostal86 wrote:Is cutting off mail to deliver tracked a standard thing in this company?
I know specials obv need done before the time limit.
I had to bring back a ton of letters and untracked parcels the other day, on a duty I have never been on AND had to throw into the frame, in favour for the tracked stuff.
Ofc manager said I would have plenty of time to finish... Did I bugger #yawn
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Tracked items question
No Royal Mail do not send anyone a text unless the sender has provided an email or mobile phone number. The sender links the tracking number and customer details and when we scan the item as delivered a text/email is automatically sent.rodtheplod wrote:I have asked at my office and no-one seems to know the answer.
When scanning a tracked item does every single one then send a text message to the recipient?
No but there is a Royal Mail phone app that allows the addressee to book a redelivery.rodtheplod wrote:If so could that text message not be used in place of a Notice Left card for collection from the DO?
There would be privacy issues and GDPR implications if we were alerted to whoever had or had not registered at a particular online sale site to receive alerts. You need a lawful reason as to why people can access the data, and I am afraid of making our job easier by not writing out form lefts would not be an acceptable use of the data. Also as there has to be informed consent from the customer, to allow the business to use any Data, we can do that if our Customers get the residents permission when they register/order, but Royal mail has no way of getting that express permission directly.rodtheplod wrote:IIf some do and some don't can the PDA not recognise this from the scan and alert the postie.
This way those that do have text messages sent wouldn't need a card thus saving the postie time from writing one out.
No RM is quite savvy in this area, it is the laws and regulations, and the sheer complexity of providing a universal notification service that is the stumbling block.rodtheplod wrote:IOr am I forgetting this is RM and IT are about 10 years behind.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Tracked items question
If a recipient gets a "delivered to your safe place" text, does it now include a copy of the photo that the postie has taken ?
We're all here because we're not all there
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Don't know if the text does but if you check through the RM Track and Trace facility on the website you get the photo. Might depend uponGT85 wrote:If a recipient gets a "delivered to your safe place" text, does it now include a copy of the photo that the postie has taken ?
your mobile text messaging settings whether you get the photo.
-
Biker Mouse
- Posts: 543
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
Ina word, no.yellowbelly wrote:Don't know if the text does but if you check through the RM Track and Trace facility on the website you get the photo. Might depend uponGT85 wrote:If a recipient gets a "delivered to your safe place" text, does it now include a copy of the photo that the postie has taken ?
your mobile text messaging settings whether you get the photo.
It’s only visible to rm managers.
-
Mezza
- Posts: 405
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
- Location: West London
Tracked items question
Biker Mouse wrote:Ina word, no.yellowbelly wrote:Don't know if the text does but if you check through the RM Track and Trace facility on the website you get the photo. Might depend uponGT85 wrote:If a recipient gets a "delivered to your safe place" text, does it now include a copy of the photo that the postie has taken ?
your mobile text messaging settings whether you get the photo.
It’s only visible to rm managers.
It certainly isn't only visible to RM management.
I've dealt with customers in the callers office that have showed me photos of items supposedly left, that they are claiming were not there.
They've got these photos from track and trace.
-
Biker Mouse
- Posts: 543
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
- Gender: Male
Tracked items question
I believe they have to request to see the photos and they are emailed to them.Mezza wrote:Biker Mouse wrote:Ina word, no.yellowbelly wrote:Don't know if the text does but if you check through the RM Track and Trace facility on the website you get the photo. Might depend uponGT85 wrote:If a recipient gets a "delivered to your safe place" text, does it now include a copy of the photo that the postie has taken ?
your mobile text messaging settings whether you get the photo.
It’s only visible to rm managers.
It certainly isn't only visible to RM management.
I've dealt with customers in the callers office that have showed me photos of items supposedly left, that they are claiming were not there.
They've got these photos from track and trace.