ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Notice period

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Blue432
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 19:55
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by Blue432 »

What's the notice period for a newbie (10 weeks)?
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Notice period

Post by Interested-seeker »

Hi there, the notice period for new starters is now 4 weeks.
Blue432
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 19:55
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by Blue432 »

Ah, ok thanks
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by terry2972 »

If you want to leave just leave as you wouldn’t get much of a reference either way have you something else lined up?
Blue432
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 19:55
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by Blue432 »

No, I haven't got the ball rolling yet. Just needed to know the notice period before I do.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by jd9442 »

You legally don’t need to work any notice lol
Do management deserve it?
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by rubberbond »

jd9442 wrote:You legally don’t need to work any notice lol
Do management deserve it?
No they don't in all honesty, but better to keep the moral high ground. You never know but yiou may want to return.
Blue432
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 19:55
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by Blue432 »

rubberbond wrote:
jd9442 wrote:You legally don’t need to work any notice lol
Do management deserve it?
No they don't in all honesty, but better to keep the moral high ground. You never know but yiou may want to return.
I wouldn't just leave - I would work the notice period.

Some days I like the job, but I'm fed up of going over my hours. I don't want to cut off as I'm on probation still. Even when I've said that I won't finish on time, and been told I'll get paid for the extra I do, I haven't seen any difference on my wage slip.

Seems like a worthwhile job in which you can earn a fair amount, according to what I've read on here, but as 25hr reserve, I don't know if I'll experience any of that lol.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by panch1989 »

Blue, claim your overtime. It's usually a sheet hidden in your doms office under his coffee cup.
pex
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by pex »

As Panch1989 has said, ask anyone where the excess hours daily sheet is located, and claim for every five minutes worked plus 15mins break (+15MB) if you haven't taken your breaks.

One thing Royal Mail is bad at is communication, but after 9 months I have found most posties will help if asked with the day to day info that we should be informed off in the first week.

Fortunatly, my office will pay without any problems if you have done any excess time.

If it helps, the job physically gets a little better after several months as you body gets used to the routine, and spring/summer is great.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Blue432
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 19:55
Gender: Male

Notice period

Post by Blue432 »

If I get this sheet and put in my extra time, would I automatically get payment, or does it have to be agreed first with the manager?

As I'm having to do some of the prep etc, I'm not getting out 'til an hour after start time but I don't want it to be seen as a 'performance issue' as I'm on probation.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Notice period

Post by Interested-seeker »

Blue432 wrote:If I get this sheet and put in my extra time, would I automatically get payment, or does it have to be agreed first with the manager?

As I'm having to do some of the prep etc, I'm not getting out 'til an hour after start time but I don't want it to be seen as a 'performance issue' as I'm on probation.
Technically you shouldn't be prepping anything as I am assuming you are only part-time. Part-timers really "should" only be delivering.