ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

sickness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Islander
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by Islander »

How is it possible to get over an illness in this job... four weeks ago I had a kidney infection and an infection/ swelling in my leg I had to take the week off { part timmer on 25 hrs no sick pay} after a week of antibiotics the kidney infection had gone, swelling in my leg was still there and painful. Went back to work the following week by the time I finished my round the leg was very painful, lucky tuesday was my day off managed to see doctor and was told I had cellulitis was given two weeks of antibiotics and she tried to give me a sick note for a further two weeks off, I couldnt afford to have any more time off so she said I had to do light dutys.

Went into work the following day spoke to union and manager there was no light dutys for me so I either had to work or go home ..... i went home. Went back to work the following week still not well but I could not afford to take more time off, the swelling in my leg has gone down but still on the antibiotics. during that week as my imune system was scewed up with three weeks of anibiotics I caught the flue // cold. I still feel very ill and am getting slower on my rounds, each day is an ADSO so unknown rounds ysterday I had to cut, will probably have to cut again today I am feeling very ill but here is no rest from this job.

I have not had my return to work interview from either sickness and I now guess I will be on a stage one. I f i could afford it I would walk away from this job today
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by hothothot »

Up to 7 days self cert , then you need a doctor's fit note. If your not capable to work go sick and stay sick untill fit to work. If your long term sick usually over 28 days you should be refferd to o h assist , then you would have a proper rehab plan. Back to work interviews should be done as soon as possible when your back at work. You will be put on a stage one after 14 days sick.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

sickness

Post by twoloops »

Islander wrote:{ part timmer on 25 hrs no sick pay}
Can I ask why you think your not entitled to sick pay being a part timer?
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by Tomolo208 »

New starters dont get sick pay for first 12 months
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by Mobey »

Haven't you been getting statutory sick pay?
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

sickness

Post by General Mannerheim »

Went into work the following day spoke to union and manager there was no light dutys for me so I either had to work or go home ..
Do these muppets have a standard bullshit card to come out with s**t like this?
How come when your off sick they have people in for a `chat` about their absence and go on about how the business can help you blah blah and if you just comeback they can find you some sort of work be that light duties or modified duties?
It seems that when it suits them they can magically have people in on light duties but when people like the OP actually needs them he gets to feck off. f***ing crazy. :roll:
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by Celgar »

Your health is more important than going in and delivering letters. Your illnesses sound serious so I would not go in until you are well again. Its one thing to go in with a cold or even the flu but you have serious conditions.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by The Postman »

Surely your being paid for your second week off? If your manager has sent you home because there is no work for you to do, then your entitled to full pay. This should have been explained by your rep. However I would have imagined you would have been told to report to base every day? If not, you should have been receiving statutory sick pay after your third day unpaid.

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

If your second absence is related to the first it will be discounted if it eventually leads to a stage 3, I think a stage 1 is issued automatically though. So, don’t worry about it too much and keep notes and any evidence you may need to provide later down the line.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by cpsteve »

Hope you get back to being 100% asap.
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

sickness

Post by Bernardson »

We have four people on light duties at the moment. All fighting to throw of D2D's :left:
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

sickness

Post by Interested-seeker »

Sounds like a nightmare. They should be accommodating you. Time to get talking to your area rep if your local rep is not helping.
Islander
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
Gender: Male

sickness

Post by Islander »

Thank you for the replys

Yes I get statutory sick pay as I have not been there a year yet.
I went in again yesterday but didnt manage to finish again so cut off two posties came out and took some of the work off me but by the time I got back to the office there was no one there to speak to, not wanting to make myself even worse I have rang in sick today and will try to see a doctor today or monday.