ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Children friendly

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lightweight andy
Posts: 36
Joined: 06 Feb 2014, 18:57
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by Lightweight andy »

Hi I worked for Royal Mail for 8 years now, I've just,split from wife and and I don't get to see my kids until Sunday because my wife has to have her mum look after the kids in Derby from Friday night through till saruday night because she has increased her hour at work due to seperation, my question is can royal Mail give every sat off to look after my children and get to see them more not just on a Sunday.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by DrSatan »

Royal Mail say they are family friendly, but actions say otherwise. I very much doubt you'd be able to get permanent Saturday's off unless signed and offered that set working pattern. Sorry to be blunt but If you need free weekends, I'd recommend finding another job.

By all means put in a request. However recently we've seem people leave because they can't get childcare on the Saturday and they won't allow them to have them off.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by spen »

Iv known 2 guys at our place got every Saturday off,, one for childcare,, n the other cause he ran his own business
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by LaggyBand »

I asked the DOM about a year ago whether my hours could be altered slightly to accommodate child care, with a suggestion of how it could be done at no extra cost or inconvenience.

I was told No, and when I suggested that RM purported to be family friendly and that I have child care to work around, the DOM simply said “that’s not the profile we’re looking for”.

The brain and arsehole to this machine are really far away.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by jd9442 »

I have every Monday off for childcare
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by Postie45 »

think it has to be more of an absolute necessity to even have a chance.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

I haven’t got kid friendly but I work to my hours every day because need to pick my kids up from school.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Children friendly

Post by Seymour Buts »

Smith1212 wrote:I haven’t got kid friendly but I work to my hours every day because need to pick my kids up from school.
They're your agreed hours though, 6 till 2 like ours I'd imagine. We all also agreed to work Saturday's. Like anything there's nothing lost by asking, but I can't see them agreeing. Our office would go into uproar with virtually everybody asking for the same agreement I'd imagine!