ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
I have had my name put on to do this list without any consultation with myself.
The hours they want me to work are 14;00 -20;00, so very little opportunity to make any good money over the Xmas period, this being on a 30 hour contract over 5 days, at the moment I am barely struggling to make ends meet at the moment and was going to rely on OT to get my head above water. Probably going to have to start looking for another job as it is near impossible to survive on a basic 30 hour week, which is a shame as I really like the job.
You can rest assured that other people will be coining it in over the Xmas period, and there will be some struggling to make ends meet.
I will be speaking to my DOM tomorrow to see if this can be changed. The main reason I became a Postman was to get away from driving vehicles for a living, which I explicitly told the DOM on my interview for the job.
Where do I stand with this?
TIA
The hours they want me to work are 14;00 -20;00, so very little opportunity to make any good money over the Xmas period, this being on a 30 hour contract over 5 days, at the moment I am barely struggling to make ends meet at the moment and was going to rely on OT to get my head above water. Probably going to have to start looking for another job as it is near impossible to survive on a basic 30 hour week, which is a shame as I really like the job.
You can rest assured that other people will be coining it in over the Xmas period, and there will be some struggling to make ends meet.
I will be speaking to my DOM tomorrow to see if this can be changed. The main reason I became a Postman was to get away from driving vehicles for a living, which I explicitly told the DOM on my interview for the job.
Where do I stand with this?
TIA
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Just take your name off the list !! Also surely your office ask all part timers to go full time over the Xmas period.
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
I'll find out tomorrow whether I can or not.Smith1212 wrote:Just take your name off the list !! Also surely your office ask all part timers to go full time over the Xmas period.
The management in my office never tell me about anything, I always here stuff 2nd hand from other posties.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Do a walk every day 630 till 1400 loads of docket
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Easy to do 30-40 hours a week docket from now till xmas. You just have to be smart about it
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
And then drive round delivering parcels in the dark and rush hour till 20;00? No thanks.arnold cheshire wrote:Do a walk every day 630 till 1400 loads of docket
I'm wondering if this will be the case on Saturdays, 14:00 till 20:00?
Good to see the P/T who need full time work are the ones f****d over as usual, whilst 90% of F/T have said they will be cutting off everyday over Xmas.
Could quite easily earn more money doing multidrop (Something I never want to do again) than sticking with RM to do basically the same job.
The fact that they don't offer F/T contract to new starters is a f***ing joke, and is less likely to help with recruitment in the future or encourage people to stick with the job, as time for most people is a luxury that most people rarely have when it comes to paying bills.
A job is supposed to give you security not make you anxious as to whether you are going to be able to work enough hours each week to make ends meet.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Care to elaborate?number one wrote:Easy to do 30-40 hours a week docket from now till xmas. You just have to be smart about it
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Xmas is always the time of year you can ask for crazy hours to do extra.hendrixstrat wrote:Care to elaborate?number one wrote:Easy to do 30-40 hours a week docket from now till xmas. You just have to be smart about it
Row extra-3hrs
Half a walk - 7hrs
York of packets 4hrs
Day off 12hrs
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
I understand your frustration, part timers get used and abused. It's the ones that they know want the extra hours (money) that get shafted the most. Because they can as most will put up with it.
Can i ask why did you apply for this job, knowing you'll be contracted 30 hours if you need more than the basic salary?
Can i ask why did you apply for this job, knowing you'll be contracted 30 hours if you need more than the basic salary?
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
How do you feel about getting 12 hours pay to do a day's work when others are getting only 7.48 for the same work?number one wrote:Xmas is always the time of year you can ask for crazy hours to do extra.hendrixstrat wrote:Care to elaborate?number one wrote:Easy to do 30-40 hours a week docket from now till xmas. You just have to be smart about it
Row extra-3hrs
Half a walk - 7hrs
York of packets 4hrs
Day off 12hrs
I mean, fair enough, RM should now be making overtime more attractive by offering higher pay, but individual posties (usually those with experience do this) setting their own rates is hardly fostering any collective sense of goodwill between workers, is it?
Do the work for the pay rate offered to all or decline it.
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
I was hoping I'd be able to make the hours up everyday, which hasn't proved to be the case. It's not the case of not wanting to work extra hours to bring my take home up. All the O/T gets snapped up by the regulars, and always ends up with nothing left,DrSatan wrote:I understand your frustration, part timers get used and abused. It's the ones that they know want the extra hours (money) that get shafted the most. Because they can as most will put up with it.
Can i ask why did you apply for this job, knowing you'll be contracted 30 hours if you need more than the basic salary?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
you dont really have anywhere to stand, youre on 30 hr contract, they can pretty much offer you any hours in that week.
If you have a legit reason why you cant do those hours you may have a case to say that the hours are unreasonable and someone else should do them - not being able to do enough OT isnt a good reason why you cant do those hours on its own im afraid.
Maybe you can explain to a manager that you`ll be willing to do extra OT and doing those hours will make that impossible, and they may move you to a different shift where they know you`ll be helping them out with the OT.
If you have a legit reason why you cant do those hours you may have a case to say that the hours are unreasonable and someone else should do them - not being able to do enough OT isnt a good reason why you cant do those hours on its own im afraid.
Maybe you can explain to a manager that you`ll be willing to do extra OT and doing those hours will make that impossible, and they may move you to a different shift where they know you`ll be helping them out with the OT.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
You have to look after yourself after all nobody else is going to step in and pay your bills for you. Wait till the DOM is struggling then say you’ll come in for 12 hours.DGH wrote:How do you feel about getting 12 hours pay to do a day's work when others are getting only 7.48 for the same work?number one wrote:Xmas is always the time of year you can ask for crazy hours to do extra.hendrixstrat wrote:Care to elaborate?number one wrote:Easy to do 30-40 hours a week docket from now till xmas. You just have to be smart about it
Row extra-3hrs
Half a walk - 7hrs
York of packets 4hrs
Day off 12hrs
I mean, fair enough, RM should now be making overtime more attractive by offering higher pay, but individual posties (usually those with experience do this) setting their own rates is hardly fostering any collective sense of goodwill between workers, is it?
Do the work for the pay rate offered to all or decline it.
If people are willing to work their day off for 7hrs then thats up to them. Everybody has got a price
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
Last year I was doing full time for 6 solid months then all of a sudden without warning, I was on my minimum for 2 months. The odd few hours here and there. That was a bit of a shock to the bank balance. Lesson I've learnt is to live on the basic and treat any overtime as saving/fun money. May be different for others i appreciate.hendrixstrat wrote:I was hoping I'd be able to make the hours up everyday, which hasn't proved to be the case. It's not the case of not wanting to work extra hours to bring my take home up. All the O/T gets snapped up by the regulars, and always ends up with nothing left,DrSatan wrote:I understand your frustration, part timers get used and abused. It's the ones that they know want the extra hours (money) that get shafted the most. Because they can as most will put up with it.
Can i ask why did you apply for this job, knowing you'll be contracted 30 hours if you need more than the basic salary?
Do you have a 30 hour contract and no set times? Or are the hours fixed or flexible between these hours?
-
hendrixstrat
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Late Parcel Deliveries Over Xmas
My contracted hours are 08:00 -!4;00, The mere fact that they haven't even consulted me on this decision to work outside of my contract hours is already a case of them not applying the correct procedure when they are the ones making such a request. Have they even considered that my missus works early evenings so I have the kids to look after or maybe my budget will stretch enough for me to pay for a babysitter 5 days a week. With no O/T I'm guessing I'll end up just leaving the kids to run amok whilst the missus and I are both out working in the evenings.Postie45 wrote:you dont really have anywhere to stand, youre on 30 hr contract, they can pretty much offer you any hours in that week.
If you have a legit reason why you cant do those hours you may have a case to say that the hours are unreasonable and someone else should do them - not being able to do enough OT isnt a good reason why you cant do those hours im afraid.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu