ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Signing for vacant duties
-
Owlangel9704
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 07:38
- Gender: Female
Signing for vacant duties
Hi, I was just wondering where I stand regarding signing for a vacant duty. I am currently employed on a part time 22.5hr contract and have been part time for over 10 years (no chances at full time!!!) I am also currently on long term sick (recovering from cancer,all treatment hopefully finished now!) there have been jobs come up while I’ve been off that I was unaware of and others have obviously got them, I’m not bothered by this as I was focusing more on getting better. I’m now close to going back to work on reduced hours and building up to my usual contracted hours. Am I entitled to sign for a full time walk while I’m on phased return or do I need to be back to full duties? The walk that is coming up is the worst in our office and I know not a lot of people will want to sign for it so I would probably be the most senior part timer.(probably most senior part timer anyway now!) any help is appreciated, thank you
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Signing for vacant duties
Angel - glad to hear you're recovering well, not sure about the technicalities of signing for another duty with more hours and I appreciate you are graduallyOwlangel9704 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering where I stand regarding signing for a vacant duty. I am currently employed on a part time 22.5hr contract and have been part time for over 10 years (no chances at full time!!!) I am also currently on long term sick (recovering from cancer,all treatment hopefully finished now!) there have been jobs come up while I’ve been off that I was unaware of and others have obviously got them, I’m not bothered by this as I was focusing more on getting better. I’m now close to going back to work on reduced hours and building up to my usual contracted hours. Am I entitled to sign for a full time walk while I’m on phased return or do I need to be back to full duties? The walk that is coming up is the worst in our office and I know not a lot of people will want to sign for it so I would probably be the most senior part timer.(probably most senior part timer anyway now!) any help is appreciated, thank you
building up your hours but wouldn't it be wiser to make sure you are fully fit to do your 22.5 for a prolonged period before considering more hours??
From what I've seen the culture in RM has not become all soft and fluffy since last years vote......
-
Owlangel9704
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 07:38
- Gender: Female
Signing for vacant duties
Thank you for replying. I understand what you are saying and I am concentrating on getting better, Would I be considered though as surely someone who is full time and also on light duties would be getting paid full time hours whilst building themselves back to full fitness, am I not considered equal to them or would I have to miss out on my opportunity to become full time because of illness? I’d be happy to stay on part time pay until I was back to full fitness I just don’t think I should lose out on a full time duty to someone less senior just because I have been ill.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Signing for vacant duties
If you are well aware of the additional workload that you will be taking on which in your words is the worst duty in the office while you are still recovering will be your decision and that of the management.Owlangel9704 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering where I stand regarding signing for a vacant duty. I am currently employed on a part time 22.5hr contract and have been part time for over 10 years (no chances at full time!!!) I am also currently on long term sick (recovering from cancer,all treatment hopefully finished now!) there have been jobs come up while I’ve been off that I was unaware of and others have obviously got them, I’m not bothered by this as I was focusing more on getting better. I’m now close to going back to work on reduced hours and building up to my usual contracted hours. Am I entitled to sign for a full time walk while I’m on phased return or do I need to be back to full duties? The walk that is coming up is the worst in our office and I know not a lot of people will want to sign for it so I would probably be the most senior part timer.(probably most senior part timer anyway now!) any help is appreciated, thank you
There is nothing to stop you from applying for this F/T duty and your application should be given due consideration in line with resourcing polices even while on a current phased return work plan.
As your illness is within the Equality Act reasonable adjustments could be considered if your application is sucessful on merit.
If a union member I would involve your union rep and H&S rep for guideance.
Your health should be your first consideration.