ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by crimson king »

As some of you may or may not remember, there is something about working for Royal Mail that brings out the poet in me as I'm sat in the car waiting for half nine to roll around.

I've been playing around with this for a couple of weeks, reflecting on my first fifteen months with the company and finished it this morning. Anyway, thought I'd share it. If it makes anyone smile or think, yeah, I empathise with that then that's great. If you detest it and think it's s**t, then that's cool too. It's poetry. All poetry is s**t.

And hey, I'm a postie, not a poet...

They Haven’t Bought My Soul

Hey, hey, look at me,
Got a job delivering the post,
Big firm, fresh air, proud history,
Proud as punch, but I’m not one to boast.

But hey, hey, look at me,
I’m going to be a happy, go lucky OPG.

Induction man says it’s all second to none, see,
But a few weeks in and I’m having some doubts,
Two day’s training, hi-viz and it’s ‘hey, you’re a postie!’
Here’s your partner, he knows what it’s all about.

Full timer, seen it all, he’s a crafty old sot,
‘Come in early for free,’ he says, ‘everyone does.’
‘We’ll rush ‘round, no break, bash it out,’ I wonder if he’s losing the plot.
I ask ‘why work for free?’ He shrugs and says ‘because.’

Overtime daily, never finish at my time for three,
Too much work, too little time, every single day the same,
Learnt to claim for it though, so many working for free,
Seems it’s the Royal Mail way, it’s a pretty one sided game.

Now I got another partner, a smiler; he’s a man of the Union,
He shows me the light, a path to a better way,
Start time, finish time, don’tcha work for free, son.
Take your breaks, stand and fight, never ever sway.

Seems like the DOM don’t like me now,
‘You can’t complete? Flash and Dash can and they lapse.’
‘Yeah, yeah,’ I sigh, ‘and I know how.’
‘They come in early, run and take no breaks, the job wrecking saps.’

I’m in the office now, feeling the heat,
Performance questions, facts and bollix, world on my f***ing shoulders,
‘But I’m doing the job properly, yet you got me beat.’
‘Don’t you get it, son, properly ain’t no good for the shareholders.’

I feel so sad and lonely, dark and depressed,
Managers glare and Flash and Dash whisper and stare,
Can’t wait to get out, fresh air and on my own, it’s just the best.
Out on the streets, the people they still smile and care.

Hey, hey, look at me, I’m still a happy, go lucky OPG.

I’m whistling and smiling, still proud to be a postie,
I chat to the old people, sometimes I make their day,
I belong; a timeless seam, a fabric of the community,
A blue shirt, doing his best as he shoulders his burden and proudly makes his way.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by glenfiddich »

Nice one :thumbup
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by LaggyBand »

That’s great, thanks for sharing!
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by Jpro747 »

I think you summed up the good and bad sides of the job very well. Keep it up :thumbup
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by crimson king »

Thanks, guys :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

They Ain't Bought My Soul

Post by scoobydo79 »

Your good :thumbup