ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
-
Pancake123
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
- Gender: Female
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Hello everyone.
I am new postie,need some advice from you guys.
This is my week number 4. I was on my first duty last 3 weeks,everytime ( apart from last Tuesday) I brought mails back to the office.It is about 1-2 loops ( I mean my loops, I dont know about driver’s) ,management started moaning and pushing me to do more,I am not able to...I do my best,walk as fast as I can,didnt take proper breaks ( yesterday I started to do this) ,I need to write a lot of Red Cards cause 90% of people is out ,I dont know What do do...It is hardly to believe that I am the only one postie from 200 who always brings mails back.
Yesterday had another „ nice conversation” with managers,they decided to out me on „ easier duty” to check results. I didnt know the frames,Streets there etc...
I ve never been there before in my life,dont know the area,there is a lot of shops/garages etc,I got lost,I was slower than ever...Finished my work 1 hour later than I should and brought 2 full loops back...
Today I am expecting another complaining how slow I am and how much money they have to spend for me...
Is it normal in other offices? Everyone needs to finish before/on time from first days of work?
I am new postie,need some advice from you guys.
This is my week number 4. I was on my first duty last 3 weeks,everytime ( apart from last Tuesday) I brought mails back to the office.It is about 1-2 loops ( I mean my loops, I dont know about driver’s) ,management started moaning and pushing me to do more,I am not able to...I do my best,walk as fast as I can,didnt take proper breaks ( yesterday I started to do this) ,I need to write a lot of Red Cards cause 90% of people is out ,I dont know What do do...It is hardly to believe that I am the only one postie from 200 who always brings mails back.
Yesterday had another „ nice conversation” with managers,they decided to out me on „ easier duty” to check results. I didnt know the frames,Streets there etc...
I ve never been there before in my life,dont know the area,there is a lot of shops/garages etc,I got lost,I was slower than ever...Finished my work 1 hour later than I should and brought 2 full loops back...
Today I am expecting another complaining how slow I am and how much money they have to spend for me...
Is it normal in other offices? Everyone needs to finish before/on time from first days of work?
-
Jamiechelt
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
I was the same. Don't try hard to be fast because you'll make mistakes. It comes naturally. 9 months in and i am one of the fastest and can adapt to most walks. You'll see eventually that they all follow similar sequences. There are loads of tricks you pick up too.
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
You using a trolley?
-
Pancake123
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
- Gender: Female
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Yes I do.I use a troley,not all the time, but some of the loops have 2 bags.I know it makes me slower but I am not going to kill my back,I can see a lot of people use trolleys too.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
All newbies take quite a while to get up to speed , don't stress over it try to relax , it makes it easier. Don't worry about what the Dom says they are all brain dead morons. Remember you only have to work your contracted hours they can't make you go over your time , if you feel pressurised by management go to the union about it . JOIN THE UNION. Don't start early , make sure you take your breaks. If you put your foot down now he will get the message , don't let them bully you. Use the equipment provided. Don't doorstep. Good luck my friend.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
First of all make sure you have joined the union and speak to your rep in the DO or Area Rep. Don't be shy about it either, that's why they are there. Did you get any training on these rounds?
Contrary to what some say, there are not really any shortcuts in this job. If you are walking at a steady pace, not reading mail as you walk, using your trolley, not cutting over gardens, taking your break's, trying neighbours when possible and writing out dockets fully.
All of this is fully endorsed as the way to do the job correctly by the Royal Mail and CWU. It is those that choose not to do this that mess it up for everyone by making it look like you can do the job quicker somehow. But this can only happen really if: a) you jog around or/ and b) you do not follow the methods as above correctly.
Believe me, cutting over gardens - not using the trolley, not correctly filling out dockets, rarely trying neighbours, not taking a break will quicken you up maybe by an hour or more. I can testify to that!
But it is a pointless counter productive obsession by posties to for some reason expose themselves to reprisal. Macho-ism, pride, habit or ignorance or stupidity. If you slip with a bag on your shoulder, it's your fault. If you recieve complaints of walking on gardens - it's your fault. If you slip on a garden or verge - it's your fault. If you make a mistake on a docket, it's your fault. If you trip whilst reading as walking with a bag on your shoulder and break your wrist - it's your fault. If a customer tries to say they didn't receive a parcel and you doorstepped or left it somewhere without inputting the correct info into the PDA and left a docket - it's your fault.
Management bank on those who are new being intimidated, naive, coerced into just getting the work done no matter what - ignorance is bliss to them. Until something goes wrong or you injure yourself- then it's your fault.
So, carry on doing what you do, take your breaks, ask the manager to come out and show you what else can be done to speed up (he/she won't), ask them for a look at the PDA actuals - with a union rep with you as well. Start on your time - not early. Oh, and make sure you are familiar with the cutting off procedure. Tell them before you go out that you are likely to struggle to finish on time and you do want want to finish on time. Then put the onus on them "What would you like me to do?" is the question and don't take the classic " I want you to finish", because that is not an answer to the question you have asked. Just say again " I need to finish on my time, am unlikely to finish the round as I am new and doing the job correctly, what would you like to do?" SIMPLE
Stand your ground and don't get into the routine of 99% of the rest - too scared to do the job correctly and just grumble quietly. Management rely on these posties to earn their bonus! Set out your stall from now - not a mug or pushover. They get the message eventually - but will need reminding occassionally. Like yesterday I had a bag drop less than an hour before I was due to finish - so I said to the driver tell the Line Manager I will be bringing it back if I can't finish - what happened? He sent someone to take some of the mail from me to complete. LOL
I'm sure your DO also has it's favourites who finish early everyday - they have the shortest/ easiest rounds, therefore they can cover it until they are supposed to finish.
Put simply - if you are doing the job correctly and as swiftly as you can safely, they cannae do shite really.
Contrary to what some say, there are not really any shortcuts in this job. If you are walking at a steady pace, not reading mail as you walk, using your trolley, not cutting over gardens, taking your break's, trying neighbours when possible and writing out dockets fully.
All of this is fully endorsed as the way to do the job correctly by the Royal Mail and CWU. It is those that choose not to do this that mess it up for everyone by making it look like you can do the job quicker somehow. But this can only happen really if: a) you jog around or/ and b) you do not follow the methods as above correctly.
Believe me, cutting over gardens - not using the trolley, not correctly filling out dockets, rarely trying neighbours, not taking a break will quicken you up maybe by an hour or more. I can testify to that!
But it is a pointless counter productive obsession by posties to for some reason expose themselves to reprisal. Macho-ism, pride, habit or ignorance or stupidity. If you slip with a bag on your shoulder, it's your fault. If you recieve complaints of walking on gardens - it's your fault. If you slip on a garden or verge - it's your fault. If you make a mistake on a docket, it's your fault. If you trip whilst reading as walking with a bag on your shoulder and break your wrist - it's your fault. If a customer tries to say they didn't receive a parcel and you doorstepped or left it somewhere without inputting the correct info into the PDA and left a docket - it's your fault.
Management bank on those who are new being intimidated, naive, coerced into just getting the work done no matter what - ignorance is bliss to them. Until something goes wrong or you injure yourself- then it's your fault.
So, carry on doing what you do, take your breaks, ask the manager to come out and show you what else can be done to speed up (he/she won't), ask them for a look at the PDA actuals - with a union rep with you as well. Start on your time - not early. Oh, and make sure you are familiar with the cutting off procedure. Tell them before you go out that you are likely to struggle to finish on time and you do want want to finish on time. Then put the onus on them "What would you like me to do?" is the question and don't take the classic " I want you to finish", because that is not an answer to the question you have asked. Just say again " I need to finish on my time, am unlikely to finish the round as I am new and doing the job correctly, what would you like to do?" SIMPLE
Stand your ground and don't get into the routine of 99% of the rest - too scared to do the job correctly and just grumble quietly. Management rely on these posties to earn their bonus! Set out your stall from now - not a mug or pushover. They get the message eventually - but will need reminding occassionally. Like yesterday I had a bag drop less than an hour before I was due to finish - so I said to the driver tell the Line Manager I will be bringing it back if I can't finish - what happened? He sent someone to take some of the mail from me to complete. LOL
I'm sure your DO also has it's favourites who finish early everyday - they have the shortest/ easiest rounds, therefore they can cover it until they are supposed to finish.
Put simply - if you are doing the job correctly and as swiftly as you can safely, they cannae do shite really.
Last edited by azza30 on 06 Nov 2018, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Good post, should be stickied at the top of the forum
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Hear hear, awesome post.jd9442 wrote:Good post, should be stickied at the top of the forum
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
What a refreshingly well worded post my friend,concise and to the point,and not one swear word to be seen,it’s easy to shout loud on here when you care passionately about the job,but a well delivered well worded reply speaks volumes,
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Thanks to all of you who have commented on my post, it's good to know it's appreciated.
I hope it empowers newbies and experienced Posties to take back control of the situation which seems to be blighting RM at the moment.
I hope it empowers newbies and experienced Posties to take back control of the situation which seems to be blighting RM at the moment.
-
Pancake123
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
- Gender: Female
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
Thank you Guys for all responses.Your support means a lot to me, I am feeling more confident now.I have joyned the Union already,will talk to one of rep soon if Dom calls me to the office again.I like the job but I am suprised by the behavior of the management....Thank God my colleagues from work are friendly and helpful 
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
You are making a fundamental mistake here, do not go into the office without your Rep, it is absolutely vital, you could end up agreeing to almost anything.Pancake123 wrote:Thank you Guys for all responses.Your support means a lot to me, I am feeling more confident now.I have joyned the Union already,will talk to one of rep soon if Dom calls me to the office again.I like the job but I am suprised by the behavior of the management....Thank God my colleagues from work are friendly and helpful
Furthermore,so what if you're not up to their version of speed, they keep banging on about safety first, so keep to that, rushing around only makes accidents and mistakes more likely.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
You have RMTV telling you to deliver to neighbours but the manager says no and wants you to not go over
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
This really is simple - just hold your nerve, deliver to neighbours and claim the overtime. If he refuses to pay it start a grievance immediately - no chances.eastie wrote:You have RMTV telling you to deliver to neighbours but the manager says no and wants you to not go over
I will tell you this, when RM start analysing Actuals specifically to see if neighbours are being tried and your office is given a telling off, it will come back to the posties as usual.
So do the job correctly as RM and the union say, not whaat the arrogant little franchisee wanabee in a local office thinks should be done. He just hasn't got the nerve to go to his boss and tell him why he will need extra hours in the office.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Newbie bringing mails back to the DO
i so dont envy anyone starting into this job now, best advice is join union, get to know union rep, any problems see them first.