ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mental Health and Bullying

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Maccas40
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 09:27
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by Maccas40 »

How do you feel Royal Mail handles mental health issues?
Do you think there is a link between poor mental health within RM and bullying?
Do Healthy Minds really matter?

As someone who suffers poor mental health (caused and exasperated by Royal Mail), I just wondered what other peoples experiences were.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by hothothot »

I recently retired on ihr with back problems and mental health issues , I worked for RM for over 20 years , never had mental health problems before I started with RM. I'm not saying working for RM caused all my problems but constant bulling and being harassed made them hell of a lot worse. Management are clueless when you have any sort of health problems. I was off with severe mental health issues caused by management bulling me , they even continually harassed me at home when off sick, untill the union and the bullying and harassment helpline stepped in and put a stop to it. Now I no longer work for RM I don't have any problems at all !
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by azza30 »

Maccas40 wrote:How do you feel Royal Mail handles mental health issues?
Do you think there is a link between poor mental health within RM and bullying?
Do Healthy Minds really matter?

As someone who suffers poor mental health (caused and exasperated by Royal Mail), I just wondered what other peoples experiences were.
Simple answer:

Most definitely.

They are very well trained in passive bullying techniques.

Why - bonus culture.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by tommyrep »

hothothot wrote:I recently retired on ihr with back problems and mental health issues , I worked for RM for over 20 years , never had mental health problems before I started with RM. I'm not saying working for RM caused all my problems but constant bulling and being harassed made them hell of a lot worse. Management are clueless when you have any sort of health problems. I was off with severe mental health issues caused by management bulling me , they even continually harassed me at home when off sick, untill the union and the bullying and harassment helpline stepped in and put a stop to it. Now I no longer work for RM I don't have any problems at all !
I agree with your views entirely.
At DO level - and this may sound like I have pity for them - the DOMS are on a loser with these problems, with no clout to think for themselves. They are in fact are on the receiving end of as much intimidation as the posties are subjected too.
The DOMs have no training on dealin* with mental health issues, they are only focused on clearing mail as cost effectively as possible, directed from above by people only focused on bonus related objectives.
They have NO interest whatsoever in staffs welfare whatsoever! Period. Any other impression they may try and portray is a bare faced lie. The bullying, harassment and intimidation is proof of their own agenda - to achieve the bonus carrot dangled by modern day business methods, hence the welfare of staff is a very low priority.
I relate to the points you raised, almost a carbon copy of my situ. We are not isolated instances unfortunately.
Royal Mail are s**t employer with a license to treat staff as they like with impunity. That is sadly the case even with a big ( numerical ) Union based influence, it is far too common to be seen as isolated cases. No one really cares at Union level, so the horrible treatment of RM staff continues unabated. You are left isolated and unsupported by DOMs, colleagues and Union and RM are happy to see you you go, to replace you with younger naive workers who know no better - or get supported - and people in delivery continue to slide down the slippy pole with many older long term staff oblivious and selfish towards the treatment of others. CWU ? Hang your head in shame. RM ?, continue to treat staff like s**t, you know you can with impunity. Armageddon awaits, unfortunately!
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by scoobydo79 »

If I’m honest I have seen more managers crack under the strain than postman.And far worse :hmmmm
Maccas40
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 09:27
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by Maccas40 »

I awake at 3am most mornings worrying about work.
by 4.30am I am normally thinking of my own death.
By 5.30am I get up tired and anxious, go to work and try and make it through the day.
Life of a depressed postie.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by hothothot »

If your feeling that low go and see your GP. Your health is more important than a crappy RM job.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by crazyshrew »

Probably shouldn't post this but I saw the pages of comments that were released from the employee survey have attached one that kinda hits the an on the head

I didn't write it, but I was the employee being screamed at, being asked "WTF is wrong with you" and told "I'm not going to deal with you if you're going to act all spasy"

There were also a few more comments about mental health, but unsurprisingly only the easy fix comments were ever mentioned publicly.

The office s**t stirrers then pounced and started making up false allegations presumably simply only for their own entertainment, all of which were entertained by management but thankfully not upheld, but didn't stop me repeatedly getting pulled in to the office and being questioned about some nonsense or other

Today I was out in the van and was very close to being in what would have been a nasty accident (wouldn't have been my fault) when I spotted The idiot in the mirror was genuinely torn between hitting the breaks or carrying on and letting them hit me.

I have asked more than once to not be put on driving duties I really don't trust myself sometimes

Does Royal Mail care, no they f***ing don't, apparently if I can't do the job I should look for work elsewhere.

I have asked that the rota is kept relatively stable, but that doesn't stop my week changing several times, sometimes I'll walk in a morning and I'll be moved 3 or 4 times within the first hour.

Sod pay rises, sod shorter working weeks, sod the f***ing flu jab voucher that came 3 weeks after I had flu, all it would take for me to almost happily go into work each day would be to be treated with a bit of respect, you know like you would a human being or the family dog.
But that is just too much for Royal Mail.
Just to be clear; I like my job, I just absolutely despise the employer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Just to be clear; I like my job, I just absolutely despise the employer - me in a nutshell
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by fb1969 »

All part of the "culture" that the cwu mention but do absolutely nothing about, despite having had a massive mandate to get things sorted.

I have been very close to resigning a few times, and I probably will up some point. Its all well and good some coming on here and saying people should stand up for themselves and the like, but everyone is different and none of the "culture" should be happening in the first place.

To go back to the OP's original question "How do you feel Royal Mail handles mental health issues?" the answer is that it doesn't. Just like every other problem in RM, it buries its' head in the sand and does nothing at all.

Yep, I still like the job itself. But the working environment is abysmal and the company is appalling.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Borusa1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 16:08
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by Borusa1976 »

Indeed - sometimes you got to think that you aren't just a joke to most of your so called collagues......
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by tommyrep »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Just to be clear; I like my job, I just absolutely despise the employer - me in a nutshell
I think all delivery staff are of the same opinion. BUT the staff who endure the grief of working for a despot employer only for a quiet life are doing the job no favours at all ! the screws have won the battle easily because pissing people off, constantly intimidating bullying and harassing - their relentless target - has provided them with all they could wish for.
Not content with that, they still press and push for even more. It becomes a drug they feed off and become tyrants.
You- certainly I - cannot believe it is soooo easy for them to operate in such a corrupt way without consequences of their actions ! Truly uncomprehencible. Why is it accepted ? Grrrrr
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by crimson king »

Maccas40 wrote:I awake at 3am most mornings worrying about work.
by 4.30am I am normally thinking of my own death.
By 5.30am I get up tired and anxious, go to work and try and make it through the day.
Life of a depressed postie.
If this is genuinely how you feel, please, please talk to someone. Loved one, doctor, even PM me if you need to.

I know it's a cliche but life really is precious and not worth throwing away.... especially over a job that is, at the end of the day despite what others try to make it, only walking pavements and sticking paper through holes in doors.

Talk to someone, share and believe that it will get better, because it invariably does. Take care.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by leolion855 »

crimson king wrote:
Maccas40 wrote:I awake at 3am most mornings worrying about work.
by 4.30am I am normally thinking of my own death.
By 5.30am I get up tired and anxious, go to work and try and make it through the day.
Life of a depressed postie.
If this is genuinely how you feel, please, please talk to someone. Loved one, doctor, even PM me if you need to.

I know it's a cliche but life really is precious and not worth throwing away.... especially over a job that is, at the end of the day despite what others try to make it, only walking pavements and sticking paper through holes in doors.

Talk to someone, share and believe that it will get better, because it invariably does. Take care.

maccas, your not on your own its depressing similar to how my life is at the moment, the death bit normally comes at 9pm for me though. Ive transferred to a different smaller office to give it a fair crack, because despite all the sadness, when im out on my own im not bad.Hope you find some enjoyment somewhere soon.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Mental Health and Bullying

Post by hothothot »

If your being serious about being depressed and unhappy and are thinking about death you should see your doctor imidiatley. If you need time out from work get your GP to sign you off for a few weeks. If offered counciling take it , talking does help. Remember your health is more important than a job.