ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working My Holiday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

Hiya everyone good morning.

I just have a quick question in regards to pay. I have next week down as a holiday and I have volunteered to work on four days on full time hours. I am contracted to work 30 hours but my main question is this. Do I only have to work an additional 10 hours before my hourly rate increases (due to being paid my normal 30 hours) or do i have to work 40 hours overtime before it happens?
Numerically:
30 hours (holiday pay) + 30.2hrs overtime pay (at normal rate)
or
30 hours (holiday pay) + 10hrs overtime pay normal rate + 20.2hrs overtime pay at increased rate?

Its just so i know what I should be due.

Many thanks
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Seymour Buts »

Are they actually paying you or giving you the leave back? :hmmmm

I've worked a whole week on overtime before and I'm sure it had to be split into the next week because there's a cap on the amount of overtime you can. It's something ridiculous I think, but if you're working 4 days paid while on leave you might hit it.
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

hiya my manager said i will be getting paid for both my holiday and the overtime. Its the only reason I agreed to do it as I would be on for a double wage.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by jd9442 »

Lol waste of a holiday
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Seymour Buts »

jd9442 wrote:Lol waste of a holiday
Double bubble though. Was my spends for my trip to Vagas the following week when I did it!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Celgar »

jd9442 wrote:Lol waste of a holiday
This ^^.
I can see you might want to do it for the money or maybe just to help in a crisis. I have done it before but wouldn't again as it causes problems with the RM payment system as you are down to not be at work. Once I never got paid for coming in a day or two to help out.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Ringer21
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Ringer21 »

We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
so is my manager correct then in what he said? The only reason I have agreed to work this overtime is because i will be getting paid both my holiday pay and the overtime. I'm getting a little worried as I am due in tomorrow morning and if i only get one or the other I would prefer to stay at home.
Wornoutpostie
Posts: 100
Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Wornoutpostie »

If your on annual leave,you can't come into the office to work - national agreement
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Seymour Buts »

markfisher3 wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
so is my manager correct then in what he said? The only reason I have agreed to work this overtime is because i will be getting paid both my holiday pay and the overtime. I'm getting a little worried as I am due in tomorrow morning and if i only get one or the other I would prefer to stay at home.
Officially they're not allowed to do it, but they do. It happens in our office all the time. Just look for your name on the overtime sheet. Everyday will be down as pressure overtime.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Celgar »

Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
This is what we have been told by our DOM although some people on this site have said it isn't the case in the past. I think some DOMs may ask or offer for you to come in on your annual leave but there is no guarantee you will get paid or you may have to chase it up for ages. The best option is to swap the annual leave for days at another time but then only if there are spaces you want still free on the AL sheet.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

Celgar wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
This is what we have been told by our DOM although some people on this site have said it isn't the case in the past. I think some DOMs may ask or offer for you to come in on your annual leave but there is no guarantee you will get paid or you may have to chase it up for ages. The best option is to swap the annual leave for days at another time but then only if there are spaces you want still free on the AL sheet.
The only reason I agreed to doing the overtime was because of getting almost double pay which would come in very handy as I am due to go away for a few days the week after. I wouldnt be bothering for anything other than that reason really. Having to nag for getting paid right is an almost constant thing anyways so wouldnt be anything new there.
Wornoutpostie
Posts: 100
Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Wornoutpostie »

markfisher3 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
This is what we have been told by our DOM although some people on this site have said it isn't the case in the past. I think some DOMs may ask or offer for you to come in on your annual leave but there is no guarantee you will get paid or you may have to chase it up for ages. The best option is to swap the annual leave for days at another time but then only if there are spaces you want still free on the AL sheet.
The only reason I agreed to doing the overtime was because of getting almost double pay which would come in very handy as I am due to go away for a few days the week after. I wouldnt be bothering for anything other than that reason really. Having to nag for getting paid right is an almost constant thing anyways so wouldnt be anything new there.
How can you be paid whilst on leave,and whilst at work in the same week???
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Creditshampoo »

You’re either on leave or working. I wouldn’t do it, it’s a very bad idea.
There was a chap a week or two ago who said he wasn’t paid overtime for working his week of. They simply cancelled his holiday and paid his normal rate.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Working My Holiday

Post by arnold cheshire »

markfisher3 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
This is what we have been told by our DOM although some people on this site have said it isn't the case in the past. I think some DOMs may ask or offer for you to come in on your annual leave but there is no guarantee you will get paid or you may have to chase it up for ages. The best option is to swap the annual leave for days at another time but then only if there are spaces you want still free on the AL sheet.
The only reason I agreed to doing the overtime was because of getting almost double pay which would come in very handy as I am due to go away for a few days the week after. I wouldnt be bothering for anything other than that reason really. Having to nag for getting paid right is an almost constant thing anyways so wouldnt be anything new there.
38 hours overtime and your normal pay or did you think you would get paid triple?