Hello,
I have worked for Royal Mail for ten years now and the work environment is I would describe as colourful.
Most of the staff are really nice and I see them as brother figures.
There seems to be or has been a recent drive to employ more woman esp in the office I work in which is great but I never like to see my Sex as a big deal. I think Royal Mail should be driving for equality but with a new mag ( well 4 page booklet) especially for women I feel like this is unfair.
I would like to know others thoughts...
I also have a fellow colleague who likes to basically snitch to managers on other employees including myself, how would people suggest I tackle this.
I feel this particular persons behaviour is deflection as he is constantly late and has been moved on from at least one other office to my knowledge. I have tried to let it not get to me but I’m actually really angry... again it all comes down to equality and respect.
Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated
T.I.A
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
-
Rach.s
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 10:06
- Gender: Female
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
I would say just ignore the troublesome postie. If they are that bad they will likely get moved on again, leave, or get the sack themselves.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
A booklet for women? Never heard of one to be honest. I know there's a drive to recruit women as managers, same as there is with ethnic minority groups, because they're underrepresented I guess. It's fine, but we've had people in our office literally become managers within months of becoming a postie, they're still learning the job themselves! All of whom either have left since or become posties again. It's daft and is a box ticking exercise it seems at times.
As for the troublesome postie, we've all got them, just ignore them and make sure you do everything by the book if you work with or around them. Give them nothing on you. It's annoying, but it is what it is.
As for the troublesome postie, we've all got them, just ignore them and make sure you do everything by the book if you work with or around them. Give them nothing on you. It's annoying, but it is what it is.
-
Rach.s
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 10:06
- Gender: Female
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
Thank you for the comments, the booklet is like a courier for women. It’s a fairly new thing again could be a box ticking exercise but yes there is such a thing,mine went straight into the recycling...The sad fact of the matter is I probably did get the job because I was female, I guess that’s why I always want to prove that I earn my place in the company by being an asset and not just to make up the numbers.
Ignoring the snitch is probably for the best as you say, I find it such a shame but yes it is what it is.
Ignoring the snitch is probably for the best as you say, I find it such a shame but yes it is what it is.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
Most of the new starts over the last yr or two in our office have been female. Our Dom does like the ladies, which is totally wrong and as you say, doesn't make you feel good about getting the job, with some coleuges maybe thinking you didn't get the job on merit. I'm totally not suggesting that by the way, it's just some low life may see it like that. Just prove your worth, and don't be concerned with what anyone thinks. Just be a good postie ( gender neutral, not post man or post woman) . We're all posties trying g our best to do a tough job.Rach.s wrote:Thank you for the comments, the booklet is like a courier for women. It’s a fairly new thing again could be a box ticking exercise but yes there is such a thing,mine went straight into the recycling...The sad fact of the matter is I probably did get the job because I was female, I guess that’s why I always want to prove that I earn my place in the company by being an asset and not just to make up the numbers.
Ignoring the snitch is probably for the best as you say, I find it such a shame but yes it is what it is.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
My DO has about 30% Female Posties. I personally have no problems with them, if they want to recruit more fine. In my DO the "Top 5 Dickheads" are all male.
I don't believe any of them try to use their sex as an excuse, nowadays it's as likely to be a young Dad asking about time for child care as it is a young Mum.
As for your Snitch, how is he affecting you? Managers must get Office Gripes all the time.... "He's coming in early".... "She's not doing any IPS" etc. and TBH I think the better ones just say, "Yeak OK.... Thanks for letting me know" and then forget about it. I'd ignore these playground politics and just get on with your job, you only have to put up with it while you're indoors. However .... If it's something more serious, or perhaps personal, then it needs to be sorted. You could talk to your Office CWU Rep, who should support you, and if need be take it to the DOM (without mentioning your name if necessary). Sometimes a colleague can sort the problem simply by talking to the idiot in question. There is a Bullying Hotline if you feel the situation warrants it.
From your post it doesn't sound as if it's too serious, but it's always a good idea not to give these people ammunition to use against you. It's a fact of life in this job that far too many people spend far too much time worrying about what others are doing...... instead of just getting on with their own job.
As for your Snitch, how is he affecting you? Managers must get Office Gripes all the time.... "He's coming in early".... "She's not doing any IPS" etc. and TBH I think the better ones just say, "Yeak OK.... Thanks for letting me know" and then forget about it. I'd ignore these playground politics and just get on with your job, you only have to put up with it while you're indoors. However .... If it's something more serious, or perhaps personal, then it needs to be sorted. You could talk to your Office CWU Rep, who should support you, and if need be take it to the DOM (without mentioning your name if necessary). Sometimes a colleague can sort the problem simply by talking to the idiot in question. There is a Bullying Hotline if you feel the situation warrants it.
From your post it doesn't sound as if it's too serious, but it's always a good idea not to give these people ammunition to use against you. It's a fact of life in this job that far too many people spend far too much time worrying about what others are doing...... instead of just getting on with their own job.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Rach.s
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 10:06
- Gender: Female
Equality in workplace and how to respond to Snitches.
Thank you for the comments: the person in question has put yet another grievance in against my line manager ( who is probs the best we have had in the ten years I’ve worked there) so he’s making a lot of enemies, he put in a grievance because he questioned why I had been paid 2 hours SA in the morning when I did one which the manager was aware of by me then the lads have reported back to me today that he was 20 mins late on SA earlies today. He is just a prat. I have stopped the earlies and am distancing myself from him at work. He is just making waves and it angers me that the union is duty bound to look into crap like this.. life is too short.