ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Diet for an average day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sellis1994
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 22:07
Gender: Male

Diet for an average day

Post by sellis1994 »

How many calories do you tend to burn on an average 8 hour day with no overtime (prep and walk)? I've been dieting pretty heavy for the last few months and have lost 3 stone something. However, since moving up from a 30hr contract to 37hr I have been crashing out as soon as I get home from work as the diet no longer cuts it with the extra hours added. How many calories do you guys eat daily to maintain a steady weight?
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Diet for an average day

Post by Murdoch »

sellis1994 wrote:How many calories do you tend to burn on an average 8 hour day with no overtime (prep and walk)? I've been dieting pretty heavy for the last few months and have lost 3 stone something. However, since moving up from a 30hr contract to 37hr I have been crashing out as soon as I get home from work as the diet no longer cuts it with the extra hours added. How many calories do you guys eat daily to maintain a steady weight?
I do about 27k-30k steps on a normal average day, and consume something in the region of 3.5k-4k calories to maintain weight.

I've found that what I eat makes a big difference in terms of how f****d I am afterwards. I recover far easier and have more energy left in the afternoon when I eat healthy, compared to when I consume junk and processed crap.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Diet for an average day

Post by Celgar »

I eat sensibly but what I like and my weight stays the same pretty much. Through the summer months my weight drops down by about eight pounds but then recovers in the lead up to winter. I think it's largely due to metabolism so some people are sedentary and others like me just burn food like a furnace. You can corrupt this scenario though by eating piles of **** food and then whatever body make up you would put on weight.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Diet for an average day

Post by postmanzach »

100% what you eat makes a big difference and well done on losing the weight, that’s great. You must find it physically a lot easier now, though like you say the earlier mornings wipe you out eh. I use to be full time and start at 5 I couldn’t do much after work. Start at 8 most days now so get to eat before but today’s 7 so eggs ina wrap before I go. Got veggie curry and il take fruit and a protein shake.
I was in a bad habit of buying pasties and cakes out on delivery for the energy but recently stopped that as need to be more careful wasting money here n there. Coffee is my main fuel which is ok on my round as go back to office several times and know where several toilets are but if I’m on another round m somewhere else I either suffer without it or risk going somewhere I probably shouldn’t or drive back to the office.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Diet for an average day

Post by rambo1 »

Probably burn about 8 Cal/min brisk walking, but remember, an hr of delivery isn't an hr of brisk walking. The extra from part to full time will tire you out more.