ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

11

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

11

Post by Seagull1983 »

11
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by arnold cheshire »

Everybody is rushing that's what the job has become
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Do not be bullied ! Take a meal relief before you leave the office , use a trolley , try neighbours with packets if time permits and walk at a safe / steady pace
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by Seagull1983 »

arnold cheshire wrote:Everybody is rushing that's what the job has become
BUT rushing to sit in the van ?! I’d understand more if we were rushing to complete !
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by arnold cheshire »

Seagull1983 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:Everybody is rushing that's what the job has become
BUT rushing to sit in the van ?! I’d understand more if we were rushing to complete !
Why do that ?
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by eastie »

Don't rush FULL STOP
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Seagull1983 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:Everybody is rushing that's what the job has become
BUT rushing to sit in the van ?!
And the PDA will show you sitting in the van for an hour at the end of your duty.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by nightcrawler »

This annoys me too when I get a relief partner (my regular partner is fine). If I know that we’ll get round in plenty of time then I’d rather just take my time than sit in the van for half hour (or however long) at the end.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by Seagull1983 »

nightcrawler wrote:This annoys me too when I get a relief partner (my regular partner is fine). If I know that we’ll get round in plenty of time then I’d rather just take my time than sit in the van for half hour (or however long) at the end.
I thought it was just me. I’ll be changing my attitude as of tomorrow. As long as I’m back to depot by 1.45 for 2pm leave that’s my job.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

One system I liked on Van Shares: Leave a Bag of mail for a street, or close, where the van is parked. First one back to the van has to deliver that extra street, or close. :hmmmm I thought it worked well.... If you worked with a "Runner" he had to do some more Running. If you were both fairly matched you used to end up doing a few each. :thumbup

I agree that Rushing around just to end up killing time in the van doesn't make sense. :crazy: And as pointed out nowadays with PDA Actuals this short of thing should stick out like a sore thumb, and hopefully get sorted. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by rambo1 »

Seagull1983 wrote:
nightcrawler wrote:This annoys me too when I get a relief partner (my regular partner is fine). If I know that we’ll get round in plenty of time then I’d rather just take my time than sit in the van for half hour (or however long) at the end.
I thought it was just me. I’ll be changing my attitude as of tomorrow. As long as I’m back to depot by 1.45 for 2pm leave that’s my job.
Ohhhh! To be able to finish at 1.45 . You're so lucky. Chance would be a fine thing, those days are long gone, more like 4pm now. Just another example of a discrepancy in what should be a normalised business. Royal mail is becoming more and more like a franchise with each office having their own times and rules and loaning posties out to other offices which is very inefficient, just because it won't come out the loaning offices budget. Makes no sense when all office budgets get rolled into the national one.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by postmanzach »

did someone have a gun at your head telling you to walk faster? I am very confused
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by postmanzach »

Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by postmanzach »

arnold cheshire wrote:Everybody is rushing that's what the job has become
speak for yourself yo i finished at today, one hour over my time. no rush, no stress, no worries. :cool
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Feeling rushed on a van share.

Post by Seagull1983 »

postmanzach wrote:Even more confused by you sittng in the van for an hour when you must be aware of PDA actuals.. wtf is going on in your head
I’m new, so what’s s pda actual ? The gun being pointed at me is a sarcastic woman with a face like thunder !! Maybe I’m overthinking it.