ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New postie - 8 weeks in
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Hi everyone. I've passed the 8 week mark and despite a bumpy start (cocking up a special, a tracked parcel and made a number of misdeliveries) I'm still here! At the moment I'm on a hct and I'm finding it easy now and am usually one of the first out and back. However I'm bound to be put on a other duty any time now and I'm worried about going out on delivery in a van. I've done some overtime on van deliveries but it's already been bagged up and I've been told where to go and park up, so haven't had much to think about. So my question is, how much more difficult are van duties from hct duties? How do you bag up? How do you organise parcels? Etc.
Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
-
Mask
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 13:09
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Glad you’re enjoying it so far, don’t listen to all the negative people its a decent job tbh.
Most likely will go on van shares at some point which you’ll pickup parking up points and if you get trained on rurals or single van rounds you’ll get 2-3 days training if not just refuse and state you have had inadequate training (your well within your rights to do this)
Write down every large packet that’s not in a loop bag to start with when you get to start driving as you’ll forget a lot trust me haha, also write down specials separately and mark 1pm next to the ones needed so you can pop off and do them if it’s getting close.
Don’t worry too much about finish times aslong as your finishing within your hours you’re doing the job fine regardless if anyone says otherwise.
Have fun and Christmas isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be!
Most likely will go on van shares at some point which you’ll pickup parking up points and if you get trained on rurals or single van rounds you’ll get 2-3 days training if not just refuse and state you have had inadequate training (your well within your rights to do this)
Write down every large packet that’s not in a loop bag to start with when you get to start driving as you’ll forget a lot trust me haha, also write down specials separately and mark 1pm next to the ones needed so you can pop off and do them if it’s getting close.
Don’t worry too much about finish times aslong as your finishing within your hours you’re doing the job fine regardless if anyone says otherwise.
Have fun and Christmas isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be!
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Thanks for the reply. I'll take note!
Tbh I've had terrible jobs in the past. Stressful, low paid, badly treated. This is by far the best job I've had (so far at least). For those complaining I guess each delivery office is different and once you've been on the job for years you end up having an axe to grind. Fair enough. I just intend to make the most of it.
Tbh I've had terrible jobs in the past. Stressful, low paid, badly treated. This is by far the best job I've had (so far at least). For those complaining I guess each delivery office is different and once you've been on the job for years you end up having an axe to grind. Fair enough. I just intend to make the most of it.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Nice to hear somebody is enjoying it, I still do to be honest! There's far worse jobs about and it's rather easy for what we get paid.
As for vans, don't worry about it. If you're on a shared duty your partner will naturally take the lead if you don't know the walk. Do it for a day or two and you'll know it anyway. The only real difference is you'll have to do oversized if you're in a van, as somebody said about just write them down if you're unsure about a duty. Make sure you check them against parcels in your bag so you don't end up carrying stuff you don't need to.
You've mastered the job by the sounds of it, which after 8 weeks is impressive. It may take you another month or 2 to get used to moving duties but you'll be fine. It's got to the point in my office I've done all the duties anyway so whichever one I'm on isn't a problem.
As for vans, don't worry about it. If you're on a shared duty your partner will naturally take the lead if you don't know the walk. Do it for a day or two and you'll know it anyway. The only real difference is you'll have to do oversized if you're in a van, as somebody said about just write them down if you're unsure about a duty. Make sure you check them against parcels in your bag so you don't end up carrying stuff you don't need to.
You've mastered the job by the sounds of it, which after 8 weeks is impressive. It may take you another month or 2 to get used to moving duties but you'll be fine. It's got to the point in my office I've done all the duties anyway so whichever one I'm on isn't a problem.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
I still love the job 3 years in.
The weather will start to become more of a challenge now and the run up to Xmas can get stressful if you're not up to speed on a duty.
Organisation in your van is key, make sure you know where everything is and put it in the same order every day. I find routine is the best way to minimise mistakes.
I put specials in a separate tray near the door when you open the van, so that they're the first thing you see and dont forget about.
This job is about accuracy, managers have scanning percentages on your parcels you deliver, so make sure you're always scanning every parcel and you won't go far wrong in the job.
Best of luck for Xmas, I hope you get moved into a good round!
The weather will start to become more of a challenge now and the run up to Xmas can get stressful if you're not up to speed on a duty.
Organisation in your van is key, make sure you know where everything is and put it in the same order every day. I find routine is the best way to minimise mistakes.
I put specials in a separate tray near the door when you open the van, so that they're the first thing you see and dont forget about.
This job is about accuracy, managers have scanning percentages on your parcels you deliver, so make sure you're always scanning every parcel and you won't go far wrong in the job.
Best of luck for Xmas, I hope you get moved into a good round!
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Regards big packets, you'll only do these if you're the driver in the van share. If so, write a list of them all, in order of which loop theyre on, and write any special delivery separate if you're not gonna be there before one. Cross the packets off the list as you do them. Simples.
-
abuch1980
- Posts: 226
- Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 12:30
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
How many hours is your contract for ? Remember to fill in any overtime done on your sheet and keep a note yourself.MrBrinks89 wrote:Hi everyone. I've passed the 8 week mark and despite a bumpy start (cocking up a special, a tracked parcel and made a number of misdeliveries) I'm still here! At the moment I'm on a hct and I'm finding it easy now and am usually one of the first out and back. However I'm bound to be put on a other duty any time now and I'm worried about going out on delivery in a van. I've done some overtime on van deliveries but it's already been bagged up and I've been told where to go and park up, so haven't had much to think about. So my question is, how much more difficult are van duties from hct duties? How do you bag up? How do you organise parcels? Etc.
Any advice/tips would be greatly
appreciated!
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
dfyh
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Thanks again for the replies.
Another thing, what are the 3 and 6 month reviews like?
Another thing, what are the 3 and 6 month reviews like?
25. I often do early prep and the odd bit of a delivery or my oversize parcels for overtime. Probably average 32/34 hours. Yeah I fill the o/time sheet out.abuch1980 wrote:
How many hours is your contract for ? Remember to fill in any overtime done on your sheet and keep a note yourself.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
I've not heard of any new starter to actually have a review. Offices are so short staffed that the managers dont tend to waste time on it and would rather you get out on delivery.
Unless there are major problems, I wouldn't worry
Unless there are major problems, I wouldn't worry
-
Glp28357
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
I'm 18 months in and never had a review of any sort in that time.MrBrinks89 wrote:Thanks again for the replies.
Another thing, what are the 3 and 6 month reviews like?
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
New postie - 8 weeks in
Cool, good to know!
-
Jacko29
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
- Gender: Female
New postie - 8 weeks in
I had my 3 month review not long ago and it was pretty basic but good news as I got took off trial!MrBrinks89 wrote:Thanks again for the replies.
Another thing, what are the 3 and 6 month reviews like?
25. I often do early prep and the odd bit of a delivery or my oversize parcels for overtime. Probably average 32/34 hours. Yeah I fill the o/time sheet out.abuch1980 wrote:
How many hours is your contract for ? Remember to fill in any overtime done on your sheet and keep a note yourself.