ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Delivery trials have ended!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Phantom »

I've heard it's been a total f**k up anyone else shed any light on this farce!
CUT OFF!!!
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by rubberbond »

You sound surprised. Did you not read the article in the union magazine last week, it was a great insight into the way the trials have gone.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Phantom »

rubberbond wrote:You sound surprised. Did you not read the article in the union magazine last week, it was a great insight into the way the trials have gone.
Not enough detail in that I'm afraid.
CUT OFF!!!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Phantom wrote:I've heard it's been a total f**k up anyone else shed any light on this farce!
https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... NKED-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pages 8 and 9
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

When I saw the article in "The Voice" I thought, "Great an article about Delivery, something that applies to me" instead of pages of BT ,Romec & CWU articles that TBH have very little relevence to me. :hmmmm

However the article was as clear as mud, and did very little to explain what they were trialling. :crazy: I was thinking about the idea of having a seperate bundle for Pre-Sorted Households as I was stood on a doorstep. I was in that familiar pose of jamming the parcel against the doorframe as I rang the bell... scanning the item and typing in the details ready for when/if they open the door (trying not to drop the PDA).... seperating their mail from the bundle ready to include with the parcel.... trying not to drop the remainder of the bundle.... getting my pen out just in case I need it (I already had a 739 because I use them as a reminder for the packet). And some Bright Spark wants me to carry another bundle of households to slip in as I'm going along! FFS :arrrghhh

I only hope the Posties that are Trialling these ideas give an honest account... AND ARE LISTENED TO. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Postie45 »

the whole method sounds absurd, and im glad the posties didnt bend over backwards to try and make a bad idea work which saves the rest of us having to do it. Whoever comes up with this stuff seems to have never actually done the job.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

What RM should do is focus on eliminating all 1D barcodes and getting 2D barcodes on all parcels, ok it'll take a few seconds longer to scan each one, but it would make it easier for whoever books the docket left items in at the DOs as the address data can be grabbed from the 2D barcode. If RM could sort out a suitable portable printer (perhaps something on the lines of that used by guards on trains) then the 2D barcodes could be used to fill out much of the 739s just by scanning the 2D barcode
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by yellowbelly »

SpacePhoenix wrote:What RM should do is focus on eliminating all 1D barcodes and getting 2D barcodes on all parcels, ok it'll take a few seconds longer to scan each one, but it would make it easier for whoever books the docket left items in at the DOs as the address data can be grabbed from the 2D barcode. If RM could sort out a suitable portable printer (perhaps something on the lines of that used by guards on trains) then the 2D barcodes could be used to fill out much of the 739s just by scanning the 2D barcode
Good idea but the RM technology is just not up to it.

Smudged by rain/badly printed 2d's won't scan - 1d's are much easier to scan and input manually if the 2d scan fails.

At Xmas our 'extra' bods often don't have a PDA and have to deliver parcels using EPOD forms - try filling those in with the 2d barcode numbers. It's easier
for the person who has to transfer 1d barcodes from paper EPOD to 'the system' as well I would imagine.

The train guard printers seem to be flipping massive to me - wouldn't like to carry that bit of kit round with me. Another potential point of failure
if it fails when you're out on your round.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by cpsteve »

Well we all knew multi bundle would not work and its a no brainer that pre preped D2Ds would save time and be popular but is it cost effective?. For me the best and most accurate way of prepping is the way we do it now.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Celgar »

It failed and has been cancelled largely because 85% of mail had to be sequenced but some trial offices were only getting 65%. There were other problems such as overnight roadworks on motorways which delayed mail. In short it has been dropped as an idea. Shouldn't be any surprise to any postie that our current methods are successful and the best available.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

yellowbelly wrote:The train guard printers seem to be flipping massive to me - wouldn't like to carry that bit of kit round with me. Another potential point of failure
if it fails when you're out on your round.
If the 729 cards were to be printed on a portable printer then could they be made smaller, depending on the size of font used?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:It failed and has been cancelled largely because 85% of mail had to be sequenced but some trial offices were only getting 65%.
85% on wave 1 was never going to happen, and with changes in arrival times (mail coming into MCs from other MCs) and other potential changes the % sequenced on wave 1 is likely to go down with an increase in manual as well
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Grinder64 »

Bah, to think there I was looking forward to the introduction of some contraption along the lines of Dr. Octopus to assist in this brave new outdoor model of delivery... :d'oh!
http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures ... ctopus.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by clashcityrocker »

Dorset Plodder wrote: And some Bright Spark wants me to carry another bundle of households to slip in as I'm going along! FFS :arrrghhh
Once again this obsession with another bundle. Why would you have another bundle?
Think of it like this:
Under the present system
On Monday you deliver to Acacia Avenue and you tie up 2 - 50 in one bundle and 51 -1 in another.
On Tuesday you have the D2D for that section so you tie up 2 - 26, 28 -50, 51 - 33 and 31 - 1, with the D2D prepped in for each house.
(Unless you have my erstwhile park and loop partner who would insist on tying it up exactly as he had the day before ensuring I had 2 bundles, each one the size of a small multi storey car park)

Under the new system
On Tuesday you tie up exactly the same 4 bundles but instead of the D2D being prepped in for each house, they are all together at the back of the bundle.
There aren't any more bundles. There aren't any bigger bundles. The D2D are simply in a different location. Revolutionary I know.

Here is another thing I have learnt.
Sometimes if I am at a door and the bundle is a bit wobbly and I am struggling with the mail the packets the PDA and trying to get my pen out, guess what I do? I put the bundle down (I really like houses with bay windows and window sills) and bugger me I now have 2 free hands to deal with everything I need to do.
Revolutionary I know but sometimes you just need to think outside the box.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by worktotime »

did any of these great ideas :crazy: take into account pushing or pulling a lwt as we don't carry bags , :no no