ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Winter of Discontent?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by crimson king »

So, almost a year on from us all 'rising up', what's the general consensus of morale up and down this septic isle?

In our DO we've had posties suspended from duty for the heinous crime of following the cutting off procedure and finishing on time, managers going back to being posties because of the DOM, other managers transferring to other depots or just leaving, daily battles between long duty holders and management about unrealistic workloads, part-timers continually being treated like second class citizens and an afterthought, newbies not lasting and...the list is exhaustive.

The SWW is a bone of contention too, with many posties now realising that starting ten minutes later is actually negated by the fact that they now lose ten minutes off their break and so have gained nothing. And the PDA actuals, as forecast by many have done absolutely nothing to stop those posties who get dropped off at home and don't come back to the depot, start work an hour early for nothing, go over for nothing or sorting out the discrepancies between longer and shorter duties, but are being used to compare postie's performance.

And, in our DO, posties are turning on each other, the 'runners' or those who finish more quickly than others are openly moaning about those who finish on time or can't complete their duties, because they're being sent out again with mail but...if your face fits or you know how to play your cards, you can finish at three and get paid til six for extra loops that you took out and did before three...

Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post, is the toxic atmosphere in the DO before getting out onto the sanctuary of my duty.

From what I read on here, it's not just our DO. It can't go on like this, can it? It has to come to a head eventually, surely? Christmas is lurking over the hill like a big, fat dark thing and walks are already failing on a daily basis, redeliveries and tracked items are routinely left on frames, bullying and harassment is still rife (I see posties on the verge of tears in the yard on an almost weekly basis), we're understaffed and everything is trying to be run on goodwill that is being trampled on at any given opportunity.

So, a year on from 'rising up', how do you foresee winter in your DO's?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Winter of Discontent?

Post by Navalron »

crimson king wrote:So, almost a year on from us all 'rising up', what's the general consensus of morale up and down this septic isle?

In our DO we've had posties suspended from duty for the heinous crime of following the cutting off procedure and finishing on time, managers going back to being posties because of the DOM, other managers transferring to other depots or just leaving, daily battles between long duty holders and management about unrealistic workloads, part-timers continually being treated like second class citizens and an afterthought, newbies not lasting and...the list is exhaustive.

The SWW is a bone of contention too, with many posties now realising that starting ten minutes later is actually negated by the fact that they now lose ten minutes off their break and so have gained nothing. And the PDA actuals, as forecast by many have done absolutely nothing to stop those posties who get dropped off at home and don't come back to the depot, start work an hour early for nothing, go over for nothing or sorting out the discrepancies between longer and shorter duties, but are being used to compare postie's performance.

And, in our DO, posties are turning on each other, the 'runners' or those who finish more quickly than others are openly moaning about those who finish on time or can't complete their duties, because they're being sent out again with mail but...if your face fits or you know how to play your cards, you can finish at three and get paid til six for extra loops that you took out and did before three...

Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post, is the toxic atmosphere in the DO before getting out onto the sanctuary of my duty.

From what I read on here, it's not just our DO. It can't go on like this, can it? It has to come to a head eventually, surely? Christmas is lurking over the hill like a big, fat dark thing and walks are already failing on a daily basis, redeliveries and tracked items are routinely left on frames, bullying and harassment is still rife (I see posties on the verge of tears in the yard on an almost weekly basis), we're understaffed and everything is trying to be run on goodwill that is being trampled on at any given opportunity.

So, a year on from 'rising up', how do you foresee winter in your DO's?

WHY are you not OUT on the street if you have oppos suspended for following the cutting off procedure. If nothing is changing them your DOM who sounds like a twat, will never change.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by crimson king »

WHY are you not OUT on the street if you have oppos suspended for following the cutting off procedure. If nothing is changing them your DOM who sounds like a twat, will never change.


Collectively? Um, pass.

Lack of unity in our DO? Posties only caring about themselves? Posties too worried about their own positions? Don't know. We do have a Union Rep and he's good and we have balloted before to strike in such an instance, but it doesn't happen every time. Don't know why.

If you're asking why I'm personally not on the street, the answer would be that I'd be worried about losing my job if I was to go out on the gate on my own.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by hero22 »

crimson king wrote:So, almost a year on from us all 'rising up', what's the general consensus of morale up and down this septic isle?

In our DO we've had posties suspended from duty for the heinous crime of following the cutting off procedure and finishing on time, managers going back to being posties because of the DOM, other managers transferring to other depots or just leaving, daily battles between long duty holders and management about unrealistic workloads, part-timers continually being treated like second class citizens and an afterthought, newbies not lasting and...the list is exhaustive.

The SWW is a bone of contention too, with many posties now realising that starting ten minutes later is actually negated by the fact that they now lose ten minutes off their break and so have gained nothing. And the PDA actuals, as forecast by many have done absolutely nothing to stop those posties who get dropped off at home and don't come back to the depot, start work an hour early for nothing, go over for nothing or sorting out the discrepancies between longer and shorter duties, but are being used to compare postie's performance.

And, in our DO, posties are turning on each other, the 'runners' or those who finish more quickly than others are openly moaning about those who finish on time or can't complete their duties, because they're being sent out again with mail but...if your face fits or you know how to play your cards, you can finish at three and get paid til six for extra loops that you took out and did before three...

Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post, is the toxic atmosphere in the DO before getting out onto the sanctuary of my duty.

From what I read on here, it's not just our DO. It can't go on like this, can it? It has to come to a head eventually, surely? Christmas is lurking over the hill like a big, fat dark thing and walks are already failing on a daily basis, redeliveries and tracked items are routinely left on frames, bullying and harassment is still rife (I see posties on the verge of tears in the yard on an almost weekly basis), we're understaffed and everything is trying to be run on goodwill that is being trampled on at any given opportunity.

So, a year on from 'rising up', how do you foresee winter in your DO's?
You must work in my office :wave
Same issues etc too and not easy to be “on the streets” as whole office will not go together.
Once out of office and phone off it’s great job. Pity about the DOMs who wreck it.
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

Winter of Discontent?

Post by luddite »

Yep, sounds about right!
I work with people who routinely work 60-90mins free overtime and then are in my face because I've got it easy and finish on time!
Sick of the same arguments, ffs cut off you cowards!
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Winter of Discontent?

Post by twoloops »

crimson king wrote:
The SWW is a bone of contention too
SWW?
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by crimson king »

mattycash wrote:
crimson king wrote:
The SWW is a bone of contention too
SWW?
Shorter working week.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
BAILEY21
Posts: 25
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by BAILEY21 »

A lot of what you say is true,the pda actual not being used for the correct purpose upsets me the most.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

BAILEY21 wrote:A lot of what you say is true,the pda actual not being used for the correct purpose upsets me the most.
I think its mainly because they don,t like what they are seeing, they know that most walks are overloaded but they wont do anything about it because they know it would cost money :arrrghhh
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by Celgar »

RM official policy is to leave work for which there is no postie to deliver it in the frame. Then if any postie comes back before end of duty time they are meant to take out some of the undelivered work to use up their remaining duty time. RM official policy is for posties to take all their breaks and to take the first break before we start actual delivery. I recognise some of the stuff you talk about happening but we don't have the back-biting or toxic atmosphere in our DO.
The SWW was never going to work out as the CWU intended but I guess their heart was in the right place. Personally I feel we are not yet at the point where these 'fourth industrial revolution' ideas & policies need to be fully discussed & implemented. I was a member of the Green Party years ago when their policies regarding national incomes were being discussed. Eventually we are going to get to a point where there isn't enough or as much work to go around but we aren't there yet. There hasn't been a reduction in work yet - in fact the reverse has probably occurred - so the first two lots of SWW have largely resulted in more work being done unpaid.
If you talk to anyone in the union at the moment such as local reps etc they will still say the SWW is the best thing since sliced bread. Even the more intelligent ones are saying this which I can't get my head around.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by rubberbond »

Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post
If you don't feel,it's your problem, why are you worried? You cannot be forced to work before your time ,or after your time.so go home and forget the place. It is certainly not worth getting stressed about ,it's putting bits of paper through a door when all is said and done.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by Celgar »

30+YEARMAN wrote:
BAILEY21 wrote:A lot of what you say is true,the pda actual not being used for the correct purpose upsets me the most.
I think its mainly because they don,t like what they are seeing, they know that most walks are overloaded but they wont do anything about it because they know it would cost money :arrrghhh
We can hope that once RM have the AHDC set up as well that walks could be all redone again and many of the problems fixed. I think at the moment the PDA data is being used in offices where RM perceives posties are 'swinging the lead'. I would hope RM will later use the data to fix the problem of work being done unpaid but considering how the part timers are treated I am not optimistic this will happen.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by crimson king »

rubberbond wrote:Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post
If you don't feel,it's your problem, why are you worried? You cannot be forced to work before your time ,or after your time.so go home and forget the place. It is certainly not worth getting stressed about ,it's putting bits of paper through a door when all is said and done.
Who's worried? Who's getting stressed? Not me, that's for sure and I know all about working to time etc and do, cheers.

Just curious as to how it is elsewhere up and down the country, is all, hence my post and observations and questions within.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by hans solo »

cant wait for xmas 2 pm home time f**k it all
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by robbertwhitton »

crimson king wrote:So, almost a year on from us all 'rising up', what's the general consensus of morale up and down this septic isle?

In our DO we've had posties suspended from duty for the heinous crime of following the cutting off procedure and finishing on time, managers going back to being posties because of the DOM, other managers transferring to other depots or just leaving, daily battles between long duty holders and management about unrealistic workloads, part-timers continually being treated like second class citizens and an afterthought, newbies not lasting and...the list is exhaustive.

The SWW is a bone of contention too, with many posties now realising that starting ten minutes later is actually negated by the fact that they now lose ten minutes off their break and so have gained nothing. And the PDA actuals, as forecast by many have done absolutely nothing to stop those posties who get dropped off at home and don't come back to the depot, start work an hour early for nothing, go over for nothing or sorting out the discrepancies between longer and shorter duties, but are being used to compare postie's performance.

And, in our DO, posties are turning on each other, the 'runners' or those who finish more quickly than others are openly moaning about those who finish on time or can't complete their duties, because they're being sent out again with mail but...if your face fits or you know how to play your cards, you can finish at three and get paid til six for extra loops that you took out and did before three...

Not that I personally care about any of that, you understand- I just want to go in, on time, do my bit 'properly' and go home, on time. What others do, or don't do, or get away with is, well, not my problem. Then again, I suppose it is actually. What I do care about, and the reason for this post, is the toxic atmosphere in the DO before getting out onto the sanctuary of my duty.

From what I read on here, it's not just our DO. It can't go on like this, can it? It has to come to a head eventually, surely? Christmas is lurking over the hill like a big, fat dark thing and walks are already failing on a daily basis, redeliveries and tracked items are routinely left on frames, bullying and harassment is still rife (I see posties on the verge of tears in the yard on an almost weekly basis), we're understaffed and everything is trying to be run on goodwill that is being trampled on at any given opportunity.

So, a year on from 'rising up', how do you foresee winter in your DO's?
postmen suspended really?that can’t be right or happening in cutting off and working your hours?it can’t be right