ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trying to leave within my first month.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Hi guys,

30 hour contract here (8-2), but not happening: expected in at 7am and lucky if I leave for home at 2, if I don’t take my lunch. I had to get a manager to help me with my round today as I needed to be somewhere by 3 and would most likely have finished gone 3 without them. How on earth can a part timer do a duty between the hours of 8-2 regularly without coming in early?!?!

I know I am within every right to only do 8-2 but really don’t want to deal with the repercussions of what that would do and being in my probation period, I can imagine they’d find a reason to get rid of me. I am trying to leave now once I have a job in place. Would I still need to give a weeks notice? (My unpaid overtime would cover that easily)

If I did just phone up one morning and say I’m not coming in would that come back at me for not working my notice? As much as I think it’s bad to not work your notice, the way RM treat part timers I don’t think we owe them anything.

Thanks for the help guys. I can see this would have been a great job back in the day, but the workload and support is the worst I have experienced and can fully understand the huge turnover they have.

Thanks.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by hothothot »

Your supposed to work notice but as you say you just don't want to , I think they won't give a stuff , and probably say Good ridence nowing RM.
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Post12345 »

If it's only a week you could just self cert for 7 days
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by DrSatan »

This is the problem with RM. They expect you to work over your time when they demand! This is where the bullying and intimidation comes in.

They save on holiday, sick pay and extra pension contributions. They can save hours during times of low sickness and low holiday uptake.

Its just greed from the bosses. They are overpaid, useless and not worth the salary they are paid.

Part timers are abused by this company and it needs to stop.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Seymour Buts »

Overpaid? Linos make less than I do with the overtime I do. Useless many may be, but overpaid they aint!
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Post12345 wrote:If it's only a week you could just self cert for 7 days
Thanks for the reply!

What does self cert for 7 days mean?

Thanks
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Pheonix1 »

DrSatan wrote:This is the problem with RM. They expect you to work over your time when they demand! This is where the bullying and intimidation comes in.

They save on holiday, sick pay and extra pension contributions. They can save hours during times of low sickness and low holiday uptake.

Its just greed from the bosses. They are overpaid, useless and not worth the salary they are paid.

Part timers are abused by this company and it needs to stop.

I agree completely, I just cannot understand how such a large company can get away with this.

I’m with the union, but I doubt they can do anything and if I did I’d be a marked man. It’s a case of play by their rules or leave.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Tomolo208 »

Don't stress. I completely understand where you are right now.

It gets better. Like really really better. You've just started and you're getting messed around, which im sorry to say is the norm for all new starters. Talk to your colleagues, ask for tips on how to get quicker and that can really help your situation.

We had a new starter last year who went home hating the job every day for the first couple of months but is now very much part of the office and is so glad to have stayed.

Talk to your manager, if finishing later is the problem and you don't mind starting earlier (and getting paid overtime). Usually the conversation goes like this.
"I'm thinking of leaving, I've got commitments which mean I have to be done before 3".

Manager:"please don't leave, I'll be a staff down before Xmas. Come in earlier and I'll pay you the overtime or I'll get someone else to prep your job"

This close to Christmas you will be wanted to stay on.

Obviously it's your choice, but this can be a great job and I've seen from my own experience that it gets better. Any questions ever just ask on here, there's a few who are really good help. Don't just find something new without trying to make it better first
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Pheonix1 wrote:expected in at 7am .
You were asked if you would come in at 7am. You could have said sorry, no (if you think you need an excuse, say you are taking your wife to work or something), no manager would hold that against you.

So, you'd come in at 8am, you should (probably) being doing redirections, sorting packets, bundling up and going. When you come in and it isn't prepped, you go and get the manager. Ask him what's gone wrong. Your duty is meant to be prepped and it's not. Do that every day and eventually he'll get the message and start making sure it's prepped ready for you. Then, you'll have a chance of getting finished at 2.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Postie45 »

if youre thinking about quitting anyway, what exactly would the downside be to sticking to your 8-2 contract ? Id talk to the union rep that this is what you want to do, and to have them inform managers this is what you will be doing in future.
I think things will get better if you show youre only willing to work your contracted hours, the managers will work around it and put you on suitable duties.
Dryfox
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jul 2018, 12:25
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Dryfox »

Tomolo208 wrote:Don't stress. I completely understand where you are right now.

It gets better. Like really really better. You've just started and you're getting messed around, which im sorry to say is the norm for all new starters. Talk to your colleagues, ask for tips on how to get quicker and that can really help your situation.

We had a new starter last year who went home hating the job every day for the first couple of months but is now very much part of the office and is so glad to have stayed.

Talk to your manager, if finishing later is the problem and you don't mind starting earlier (and getting paid overtime). Usually the conversation goes like this.
"I'm thinking of leaving, I've got commitments which mean I have to be done before 3".

Manager:"please don't leave, I'll be a staff down before Xmas. Come in earlier and I'll pay you the overtime or I'll get someone else to prep your job"

This close to Christmas you will be wanted to stay on.

Obviously it's your choice, but this can be a great job and I've seen from my own experience that it gets better. Any questions ever just ask on here, there's a few who are really good help. Don't just find something new without trying to make it better first
And when exactly is this? New employees can remain on the reserve list for years - getting messed about with their days off, sent to other offices, working every Saturday and being last in line for overtime and holidays.

The general answer from managers and seniors is 'we've all been through it' but, THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

It's a completely unfair way of working which ruins what would otherwise be quite a pleasant job.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by baldrick »

Pheonix1 wrote:
Post12345 wrote:If it's only a week you could just self cert for 7 days
Thanks for the reply!
What does self cert for 7 days mean?
Thanks
You can go sick for up to seven days without a sickness note from doctor. You fill in a 'self certificate' about the sickness when you return to duty. Doctors won't issue a certificate for the first seven days off work anyway.
You are supposed to ring in as soon as possible before the start of your shift, either the day before, or on the first day of sickness to tell them you won't be in due to illness.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by panch1989 »

New starters have to give one month now. So if you hate it that much just walk away.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by mickeymacca »

The fact you have come on to this forum for advice on this matter speaks volumes about your integrity and decency, you'd never be cut out as a RM manager :Very Happy

If you really don't like it just don't come back, you're not gonna want or get a reference, and you certainly don't owe RM any loyalty, especially the way you say you have been treated.

Good Luck , hopefully you change your mind, its a good job when you settle in, and no-one should be felt bullied into leaving.
'Libraries gave us power'
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Creditshampoo »

Just don’t turn up