ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

am i in trouble?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by leolion855 »

Got back off my round late and I had agreed to take 3 loops out on a round id never done before afterwards before I went out.
I bundled them up loaded the van and drove vaguely in the direction I thought I should be going while the nav loaded on the pda, it crashed five times on the way due to no signal and froze the pda in between, I tried driving around to find the start of the first loop but couldn't find it and after 45 minutes of trying I drove back to the office having not delivered anything.

I will tell the dom or a lino in the morning as they had all left by the time I got back, am I in for it tomorrow?
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by citypostie »

At a guess I'd say they aren't going to be happy! Did you not have your doms mobile number to ring them? Was there no one about you could have asked for directions, like people always do to us? Im guessing that will be one of the first things you'll be asked
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by leolion855 »

citypostie wrote:At a guess I'd say they aren't going to be happy! Did you not have your doms mobile number to ring them? Was there no one about you could have asked for directions, like people always do to us? Im guessing that will be one of the first things you'll be asked
all our managers and linos leave at 2pm, this was happening at 3:30 so they wouldn't answer, I really had no other option than to use the nav on the pda which wasn't working.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by citypostie »

leolion855 wrote:
citypostie wrote:At a guess I'd say they aren't going to be happy! Did you not have your doms mobile number to ring them? Was there no one about you could have asked for directions, like people always do to us? Im guessing that will be one of the first things you'll be asked
all our managers and linos leave at 2pm, this was happening at 3:30 so they wouldn't answer, I really had no other option than to use the nav on the pda which wasn't working.
We have a list of numbers in the van who we can contact after the Dom or linos have gone. Our next contact is the mail centre managers etc. If you had an accident on delivery who would you call?
To be fair our managers have works mobiles(yours will as well) and will answer them even on days off If need be
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by leolion855 »

whats the worst im looking at?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Just fess up and explain what happened, say you're sorry and obviously know you won't be paid. You'll get a slap on the wrist if anything at all. This stuff happens; people in my office have just said they can't be arsed after a heavy day to merge now and left at their time.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by citypostie »

Next time they ask you to do overtime and you don't know where it is, tell them you'll only do it if they print out a map showing where it is. They do this I'm my do for people who come from other offices to do overtime. Nice map attached to the bags showing the area and the delivery highlighted, seems to work for the ones who come from all over the place to do overtime at ours
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

am i in trouble?

Post by twoloops »

Don't beat yourself up, no ones dead.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by leolion855 »

mattycash wrote:Don't beat yourself up, no ones dead.
hate feeling like a failure though, if I hadn't gone over on my round id have had chance to do things properly, ive looked on google maps and I went 3 miles to far and theres no street signs to state where you are.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yes exactly no one died,worse things have happened and usually down to miss management on there part,the training in this job now is pitiful,any decent boss would be sympathetic but sadly I fear he’ll be the big I am,and put the fear of god into you,must be great having to ring up with no answer to want to explain the situation,seems he’s not bothered either then,be interesting to know the outcome,sounds like you did more than many would do,
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by leolion855 »

well now ive checked on google where it is, I can offer to take it out at 6 tomorrow morning, then ill come back and take my round out.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

am i in trouble?

Post by arnold cheshire »

leolion855 wrote:well now ive checked on google where it is, I can offer to take it out at 6 tomorrow morning, then ill come back and take my round out.
Relax now maybe you were pressured into taking too much
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by DrSatan »

It's not deliberate wilful delay, you tried but failed which isn't necessarily your fault. I'm suprised they even allowed you to take stuff for somewhere you don't know or never delivered before. Fair enough you want to help or make more money but that's a bit silly on the managers part.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by Postie45 »

it wont be a big deal, the managers are covered from USO failure as they assigned someone to it, so doubt theyll be that mad.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

am i in trouble?

Post by postslippete »

leolion855 wrote:well now ive checked on google where it is, I can offer to take it out at 6 tomorrow morning, then ill come back and take my round out.

What you've done is wilful delay and its not as if its a street you couldn't find....but 3 loops. What on earth were you thinking??

You are trying to redeem yourself but be aware that the managers will automatically question why you didn't ask someone while you were out there, ring them up or even check google maps on your own phone as they will assume that most people have one. Next time, think!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.