ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

f J

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

f J

Post by Seagull1983 »

11111
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 07:15, edited 2 times in total.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by NewPostieUK »

I don't really understand that. Why were you on edge about lapsing when you knew you'd easily finish?

How did you manage tofinish so early? What is your proper finish time.

Why shouldn't she go home?

Why are you prepping door to doors when you are part time ?
(presumably you are part time as you say you are new).
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Postie45 »

by lapse you mean youd cut off ?
As a new starter there is less expectation that youll be up to speed, apart from some of the "runners" ie postmen who just rush and get done ASAP.
As for putting in your d2d when you got back, you should have just gone home like she did, leave the d2d for the next day seeing as your partner sees it as ok to just go straight home.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Seagull1983 »

ghjj
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Seymour Buts »

I assume you mean she phoned the office to say she wouldn't be lapsing coz she didn't have time yet you finished early? If so then yes, try to avoid that coz she's taking the micky a bit! If you're ever in that situation just sit in the van at the end and go back right at your time.

As for going home depends of your office, if yours is still job and finish just leave like everybody else!
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Seymour Buts »

And prep depends on your office, many don't realise this. In some part timers never prep because the full timers do it all; in our office I prep my own despite not being full time. I start at 8 and am expected to full prep my duty, on heavier days they'll have a full timer throw some in or ask me to come in early on overtime to do it. So part timers do prep d2ds depending on your office.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by leolion855 »

postietom wrote:And prep depends on your office, many don't realise this. In some part timers never prep because the full timers do it all; in our office I prep my own despite not being full time. I start at 8 and am expected to full prep my duty, on heavier days they'll have a full timer throw some in or ask me to come in early on overtime to do it. So part timers do prep d2ds depending on your office.

im part time and prep TWO rounds inc all d2ds, they do get me in at half six instead of 9 though.. :Boo hoo!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by NewPostieUK »

Seagull1983 wrote:She’d phone the office to say wed probably lapse, which put me right on edge during the shift, I knew we’d easily finish it (I’m new).

Tell me that’s not right ???
It's not right.

It makes no sense.

Who would phone the office to say they can probably lapse. Never heard anything so stupid.

Obviously part timers who go in early and work additional hours will be asked to do things such as prep a duty. Generally speaking part timers don't prep. It depends on the duty and how many days a week you work etc but generally speaking, if you work 5 or 6 hours a day you should be going in, doing redirections, sorting packets and bundling up.

If you get back early, it's debatable as to what you should do. It's up to the manager to give you work, but it's understandable if you would prefer to do some door to doors. I've done this myself on th every very rare occasion I finish early. I hate doing door to doors on a saturday, so I prep them whenever I get time. It's not my job, it's the person who preps my frame's job, but they won't do saturdays until saturday (obviously) so I do them.

Just out of interest, when time did you start when you finished so early?
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Seagull1983 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Seagull1983 wrote:She’d phone the office to say wed probably lapse, which put me right on edge during the shift, I knew we’d easily finish it (I’m new).

Tell me that’s not right ???
It's not right.

It makes no sense.

Who would phone the office to say they can probably lapse. Never heard anything so stupid.

Obviously part timers who go in early and work additional hours will be asked to do things such as prep a duty. Generally speaking part timers don't prep. It depends on the duty and how many days a week you work etc but generally speaking, if you work 5 or 6 hours a day you should be going in, doing redirections, sorting packets and bundling up.

If you get back early, it's debatable as to what you should do. It's up to the manager to give you work, but it's understandable if you would prefer to do some door to doors. I've done this myself on th every very rare occasion I finish early. I hate doing door to doors on a saturday, so I prep them whenever I get time. It's not my job, it's the person who preps my frame's job, but they won't do saturdays until saturday (obviously) so I do them.

Just out of interest, when time did you start when you finished so early?
Her 8am and me at 8.30.

I’d prefer another colleague to be honest or a single van round but hay ho. I know she’d prefer a single van round.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Glp28357 »

Seagull1983 wrote: She’d phone the office to say wed probably lapse
I think you've got your terminology wrong here - when you say "we'd probably lapse", what exactly do you mean?

I think you mean "cut off", but I'd like to hear exactly what you mean
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by Seagull1983 »

Glp28357 wrote:
Seagull1983 wrote: She’d phone the office to say wed probably lapse
I think you've got your terminology wrong here - when you say "we'd probably lapse", what exactly do you mean?

I think you mean "cut off", but I'd like to hear exactly what you mean
I do mean “cut off”. Got the terminology mixed up.
BAILEY21
Posts: 25
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by BAILEY21 »

Just how easy is your delivery if you can finish so early with one starting at 8 and another at 8:30,!!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

BAILEY21 wrote:Just how easy is your delivery if you can finish so early with one starting at 8 and another at 8:30,!!
Unless it's designed that way. It's not like the old days when every duty was 3.5 hours outside, now they can mix match. We have one duty that has a 2 hour outdoor element and the rest is inside.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by rambo1 »

BAILEY21 wrote:Just how easy is your delivery if you can finish so early with one starting at 8 and another at 8:30,!!
Maybe another full timer throws their mail in instead of doing ips?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Getting rushed by van share then ....

Post by NewPostieUK »

8.30 - 1.30 for a part timer working 25 hrs over 5 days (I'm guessing). Without a break that would mean they didn't actually get back early and should be claiming overtime and not taking lapsing.

And if that is the case, I'd be surprised if they are meant to be doing much indoor work at all.