ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Left handed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ringer21
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Ringer21 »

Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by danterossetti »

What are the other left handers in the office doing ?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by scoobydo79 »

Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by LaggyBand »

Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by yellowbelly »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?
I don't know about slowing you down when you're actually throwing in but a manager came round our gaff with similar story.

He alleged that the longer time comes about during bundling up because delivery frames work from left to right.

A left hander I know puts mail into the frame with the address on an individual letter visible to the right hand side of the slot - so when
you're pulling mail out of the frame to bundle up it has to be pulled out slot by slot to maintain delivery sequence rather than 5/6
frame slots at a time when the address is showing on the left (which follows the progression of how
the frame delivery is set). He doesn't have any double slots on his frame - it's a rural. I would imagine a
frame with a lot of double slots makes it really awkward and slows it down more.

It must slow an experienced left hander down by maybe all of a minute.....

I know of another left hander who works around this by throwing the individual letters in upside down but with the address on the letter to the left in the slot.
All he has to do is turn the bundle the right way up after bundling with laggy band - whatever you do don't prep/help on his frame otherwise it all gets
screwed up!!!!
Blaine
Posts: 90
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Blaine »

LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by DrSatan »

Blaine wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.
I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.
baz284
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 13
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 20:19
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by baz284 »

I used to do the aplus and labels, for the left handlers in my office I redid the labels for them so they were suitable for them. so It can be done for left handed , just needs a bit of thought. So the frames just need 2 lots of labels. A frame once you have the labels could be changed.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by LaggyBand »

DrSatan wrote:
Blaine wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.

It’s a real pain.

Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.

Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.
I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.
Interesting technique.

I think what I meant is the same though, I hold the same, grab the same, but I use my right hand fingers to sort of drag the letter so that it sticks up at the edge you’re grabbing it with - that’s what I meant by the flipping action.

I feel it’s slower but maybe it’s just a card I like to play now and again.

I wonder if other forums are as exciting as this.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by tansorboy »

I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!
trix138
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 14:56
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by trix138 »

I'm left handed and put the mail into the frame with my left hand and have never had to flip a letter as described.
I also double prep, and would consider myself as quick.
Do not stand for it, its discrimination pure and simple.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by Creditshampoo »

scoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
Correct
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by rambo1 »

tansorboy wrote:I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!
Me too and I'm right handed.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Left handed

Post by redneck »

The screws will look at any spurious reason for some kind of perceived delay in you getting out of the office. I'm left handed too and throw the mail up held with the right hand and addresses showing to the left. Not slower. What slows you down is the debate about why you are suposedly slower. what a farce.