ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Left handed
-
Ringer21
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Worked for Royal Mail for 20 years I'm left handed never been a problem now the new manager is telling me I should be quicker throwing my trays in and to start using my right hand it takes me a out 13 mins to throw a full tray in any suggestions
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Left handed
What are the other left handers in the office doing ?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.
It’s a real pain.
Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.
Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
It’s a real pain.
Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.
Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I don't know about slowing you down when you're actually throwing in but a manager came round our gaff with similar story.SpacePhoenix wrote:Assuming that it's throwing the mail into your prep frame, why would it make any difference at all whether the person throwing the mail off is left or right handed?
He alleged that the longer time comes about during bundling up because delivery frames work from left to right.
A left hander I know puts mail into the frame with the address on an individual letter visible to the right hand side of the slot - so when
you're pulling mail out of the frame to bundle up it has to be pulled out slot by slot to maintain delivery sequence rather than 5/6
frame slots at a time when the address is showing on the left (which follows the progression of how
the frame delivery is set). He doesn't have any double slots on his frame - it's a rural. I would imagine a
frame with a lot of double slots makes it really awkward and slows it down more.
It must slow an experienced left hander down by maybe all of a minute.....
I know of another left hander who works around this by throwing the individual letters in upside down but with the address on the letter to the left in the slot.
All he has to do is turn the bundle the right way up after bundling with laggy band - whatever you do don't prep/help on his frame otherwise it all gets
screwed up!!!!
-
Blaine
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 20:07
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.
It’s a real pain.
Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.
Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.Blaine wrote:I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.
It’s a real pain.
Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.
Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
-
baz284
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I used to do the aplus and labels, for the left handlers in my office I redid the labels for them so they were suitable for them. so It can be done for left handed , just needs a bit of thought. So the frames just need 2 lots of labels. A frame once you have the labels could be changed.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Interesting technique.DrSatan wrote:I'm left handed and do it exactly the same way, I'm no slower than anyone else. It was suggested by a manager that I might be slower because I'm left handed when I first started. But I'm no slower than a right hander.Blaine wrote:I hold the bundle in my right hand with the addresses facing to the left (but can still read them obviously) rather than directly at me, then use the left hand to put them in the frame by grabbing the letter at the top end nearest to me. No flipping required and no slower than any right-hander. It was a bit awkward at first because but actually is really easy to do once you're used to it.LaggyBand wrote:Left handers who want to use their left hand to place mail in the frame have to flip over every letter before doing so.
It’s a real pain.
Could be solved by reversing frame sequence specifically for left handers.
Surprised it hasn’t been addressed sooner
I think what I meant is the same though, I hold the same, grab the same, but I use my right hand fingers to sort of drag the letter so that it sticks up at the edge you’re grabbing it with - that’s what I meant by the flipping action.
I feel it’s slower but maybe it’s just a card I like to play now and again.
I wonder if other forums are as exciting as this.
-
tansorboy
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!
-
trix138
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 14:56
- Gender: Male
Left handed
I'm left handed and put the mail into the frame with my left hand and have never had to flip a letter as described.
I also double prep, and would consider myself as quick.
Do not stand for it, its discrimination pure and simple.
I also double prep, and would consider myself as quick.
Do not stand for it, its discrimination pure and simple.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Correctscoobydo79 wrote:Tell Him You will report Him for discrimination
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Left handed
Me too and I'm right handed.tansorboy wrote:I bundle up backwards - the last loop first until I get to the start of the walk at the end. Works for me!
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Left handed
The screws will look at any spurious reason for some kind of perceived delay in you getting out of the office. I'm left handed too and throw the mail up held with the right hand and addresses showing to the left. Not slower. What slows you down is the debate about why you are suposedly slower. what a farce.