ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Libertine1
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 05:58
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by Libertine1 »

Hi,

I've been on the packets duty in my office for the last 18 months and with a lot of new developments and the increase in packet traffic, the duty has become unmanageable for 1 person. I never signed for the duty and have now asked to come off the packets duty which they have granted.

However, the work place coach who does the rota has said I'm on the firm's duty next week. I have never done this duty and its not a simple one as I would have no idea where to go and where the drop off points are for each firm. I asked for training but was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be getting trained and I had no choice. There are 3 other people in the office who know this duty very well. I feel this is a deliberate act to get me to do a u-turn and stay on the packet duty.

What would you do?
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Advice

Post by pinstripe »

Go on the new duty, follow the cut off procedure, do your best, then bring back the half of the delivery that you don’t have time to deliver. Sod ‘em, you asked for training, they refused, their problem.
Nickvilla20
Posts: 788
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by Nickvilla20 »

I would say pinstripe have given you the best advice. So much your the work place coach supporting and training staff.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by LaggyBand »

I would just do my best and bring back what I couldn’t find, telling manager obviously, knowing that if I do really well then I’ll be moved all the time...
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by hothothot »

Tell the Dom your happy to take it all out , but as you've never done this walk before you don't no where the hell your going and the chances of you completing is zero , but I'll give it my best shot. At least then you've told him. Don't rush round and don't stress about it.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by leolion855 »

hothothot wrote:Tell the Dom your happy to take it all out , but as you've never done this walk before you don't no where the hell your going and the chances of you completing is zero , but I'll give it my best shot. At least then you've told him. Don't rush round and don't stress about it.

this :thumbup
Libertine1
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 05:58
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by Libertine1 »

Thank you for the replies. I will follow the good advice given here.

Its annoying as this is so avoidable and the work place coach has clearly done this out of spite as there are 3 other people who know the walk very well. If they want it to fail by not giving me training, I guess that's their choice.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Advice

Post by danterossetti »

Make your life a bit easier and ask the 3 people for some pointers.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Advice

Post by NewPostieUK »

hothothot wrote:Tell the Dom your happy to take it all out , but as you've never done this walk before you don't no where the hell your going and the chances of you completing is zero , but I'll give it my best shot. At least then you've told him. Don't rush round and don't stress about it.
That's exactly what I did. After refusing to do a duty I hadn't been trained on each Saturday for weeks, I 'negotiated' as above. Ended up leaving loads and taking loads back, I just couldn't find it. Did half a duty.

Problem is, as always, the idiots think you've done it once you can do it fine from now on. Had the same argument a week later. . Took slightly more out.