ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking bags home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Walking boots
Posts: 26
Joined: 12 May 2017, 21:30
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Walking boots »

Is it normal for each postie to have there own bags.
It’s the way it’s done in my office and everyone gets quite possessive of there bags to the point that they take them home every day so they don’t get stolen, I went to a different office recently where the bags are for the walk rather than the person and it seemed a much better way.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by LaggyBand »

Posties at ours take one bag home to carry personal stuff in, adding that bag to the mound of bags under the frame once there. The bulk stay at work.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Jpro747 »

Plenty of manky old bags at our place, I wouldn’t take them home personally. :thumbup
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Taking bags home

Post by arnold cheshire »

Take them home and wash them
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Celgar »

Generally there should be enough pouches for any walk that needs them. More can be ordered by your DOM if they get worn out or torn. One guy that transferred into our office recently wrote his surname on a load of pouches so I guess that happens in other offices.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Taking bags home

Post by twoloops »

Sad b4stards :left: No bags, use trays, you only need one bag.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Jpro747 »

It doesn’t just stop at bags either. Some people think they own a duty, and the van that goes with it.
Mailman300
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Apr 2017, 09:10
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Mailman300 »

arnold cheshire wrote:Take them home and wash them
Ha ha ha, good one. Manky bag won’t ever see the inside of my washer. I’m sure they’re only meant for laundry. Pretty sure that will shorten the life span of the washer.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by postmanzach »

Each round should have its own bags for sure. Ideally labelled up for each loop. Stacked back in order to make picking up easier. If someone goes sick there’s going to be shortage of bags. Sounds like Dom just needs to order few dozen in so there’s plenty to go around. How big is your office?
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by CPTNemoUK »

In my office if you leave a bag unattended it will disappear. On eday my drink leaked in my bag so I hung it up to dry. Came back off delivery and it was gone. :left:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Taking bags home

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattycash wrote:Sad b4stards :left: No bags, use trays, you only need one bag.
especially if you use inserts, much quicker.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rockmanrock
Posts: 69
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 19:05

Taking bags home

Post by rockmanrock »

Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t just stop at bags either. Some people think they own a duty, and the van that goes with it.
Having a set duty or Walk is surely a good thing. The experience a regular worker has of a Walk is best for both the customers and the worker.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Seymour Buts »

There's a couple who take their bags home at our place, even do it when they're away leaving none for whoever covers the duty. Does my head in and it shouldn't be allowed; they're Royal Mail's bags, not the duty holders!
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Pathfinder »

My bag is my own, it’s moulded around the shape of my body. It comes home with me everyday without fail. Most posties do unless you have your own round and van it’ll only go missing otherwise.
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

Taking bags home

Post by Grinder64 »

This is my mailbag. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My mailbag is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my mailbag is useless. Without my mailbag, I am useless. I must load my mailbag true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My mailbag and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…

My mailbag is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my mailbag clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My mailbag and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.