ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postman2015
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 Dec 2014, 17:46
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by postman2015 »

Dear all.

We were told by the DOM that from end of this month there will be a new late parcel delivery service starting from 3.30pm to 7.30pm.
I am on 25 hours part time contract but most of the time end up working 40+ hours per week by doing overtime.

The manager told that this is a good opportunity to become a Full time Staff if chosen to work for this new service.

1) So if i opt for this new job role will i be working 45 hours per week (25+20)?
2) Is this a better option rather than doing overtime to get more hours so I almost get around 40 hours per week?


Thanks in advance
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Rumple »

Your DOM is only telling you part of the tale.
It is an opportunity for you to become full time IF you are the most senior person who applies for the role.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Mobey »

Just another way to boost your hours up to full time temporarily, you go off a week you'll only get your basic rate unless your dom is prepared to change your hours! Which I doubt!
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Jacko29 »

Just seen this in our delivery! It’s put down as Scheduke attendance which you do get paid when on holiday apparently.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by clashcityrocker »

Jacko29 wrote:Just seen this in our delivery! It’s put down as Schedule attendance which you do get paid when on holiday apparently.
But you wouldn't get if you broke your leg and were off work for 6 months.
However with a full time contract......
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Celgar »

I would think carefully on it before you try and sign for the LAT. Do you really want to be out in the dark at night knocking on doors on walks from other DOs ?? I know I wouldn't.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Seymour Buts »

Celgar wrote:I would think carefully on it before you try and sign for the LAT. Do you really want to be out in the dark at night knocking on doors on walks from other DOs ?? I know I wouldn't.
I second this. Includes Saturday doesn't it? F**k that.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Brandy »

Celgar wrote:I would think carefully on it before you try and sign for the LAT. Do you really want to be out in the dark at night knocking on doors on walks from other DOs ?? I know I wouldn't.
Possibly stuck in traffic queues as well ,then they will wonder why you didnt or couldnt deliver as much as they expect you to.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by jd9442 »

Brandy wrote:
Celgar wrote:I would think carefully on it before you try and sign for the LAT. Do you really want to be out in the dark at night knocking on doors on walks from other DOs ?? I know I wouldn't.
Possibly stuck in traffic queues as well ,then they will wonder why you didnt or couldnt deliver as much as they expect you to.
But every day is the same, and traffic is the same every day and people answer the doors in the same amount of time every day
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Interested-seeker »

I would not touch it with a barge pole.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by DB1100 »

Did he mention that you will probably have to do other folk's cut offs as well?
For we were soldiers once,and young
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by danterossetti »

Sounds like the DOM is not expecting many takers.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by k979aaa »

danterossetti wrote:Sounds like the DOM is not expecting many takers.
They could put any new starts on it if they so wish need a good excuse!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Whatever you decide I'd make sure I got the T & Cs in writing before I signed up for it. :hmmmm I appreciate when you're on a short contract it's pretty important to try and get that FT contract. If there's not a lot of takers it might help your bargaining position :thumbup Don't make your DOMs life easy for him though..... you make sure you're happy with the deal. Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postman2015
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 Dec 2014, 17:46
Gender: Male

Late Parcel Delivery Service 3.30pm to 7.30pm

Post by postman2015 »

Thank you all for the replies.Ill check all the terms and conditions before taking a decision. So far no full timers have shown interest. I'm the most senior part timer right now but I'll still consider what you all have mentioned here before taking a decision

Cheers