ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Does it really get easier?
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Does it really get easier?
Just completed week eight and tbh I am still pretty much useless after a shift. I walk on average 15km with a filled HCT and pouch.
I have shin pain when I wear the RM boots and throbbing foot pain when I wear the RM waterproof trainers. I end up having a nap in the afternoon when I get back and before I know it it's the evening and basically the day is pretty much over. Then I get to do it all over again the next day.
Is this the norm for posties everywhere? Does this job consumer other people's lives like this or am I just weak?!
I have shin pain when I wear the RM boots and throbbing foot pain when I wear the RM waterproof trainers. I end up having a nap in the afternoon when I get back and before I know it it's the evening and basically the day is pretty much over. Then I get to do it all over again the next day.
Is this the norm for posties everywhere? Does this job consumer other people's lives like this or am I just weak?!
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Does it really get easier?
no its everyone cookie welcome to royal mail 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Does it really get easier?
That is normal we all are back every day to do our half marathons
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Does it really get easier?
September was horrible and this week has been to bear with it
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Does it really get easier?
No sooner do you start to get the hang of this job then old age starts kicking in and it gets harder and harder again 
-
jon_gardner85
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 12 May 2016, 12:14
- Gender: Male
Does it really get easier?
I had blisters all over my feet for the first two weeks of the job. Lost two stone after first two months of job. Work 6 days a week, still knackered after every day but just learnt to grin and bear it better!
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Does it really get easier?
Not had blisters yet - but am sure they're in the post
I've lost 5kg in weight so far which is great but now I weigh less than the HCT!!
I only work 5 days a week but my feet throb daily and my shins have been worryingly painful too. Using ibuprofen gel and massaging the feet in the evenings.
I'm a long distance walker who would happily walk 15km+ a day and consider myself fairly fit; but this does not prepare you for the onslaught that is concrete pounding, pushing a full HCT in heavy wind, those pesky ground level letter boxes, the hills and the stairs.
I've lost 5kg in weight so far which is great but now I weigh less than the HCT!!
I only work 5 days a week but my feet throb daily and my shins have been worryingly painful too. Using ibuprofen gel and massaging the feet in the evenings.
I'm a long distance walker who would happily walk 15km+ a day and consider myself fairly fit; but this does not prepare you for the onslaught that is concrete pounding, pushing a full HCT in heavy wind, those pesky ground level letter boxes, the hills and the stairs.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Does it really get easier?
Try a soak in an Epsom Salts bath when you get home, it will help heal the pain. 
We're all here because we're not all there
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Does it really get easier?
Try putting an extra layer of supportive insoles in the footwear.
-
grandypants
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Does it really get easier?
Nearly 20 years in and its only getting harder, considering we get told at least once a week that we are delivering less than we ever have done I have NEVER been so tired in my life, I would love the clowns who thought of park and loop to come and do it for a month and see how they get on, I'll bet they are some pen pushing prats who have never done delivery in there life

-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Does it really get easier?
I think so.
Last edited by postmanzach on 07 Oct 2018, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Does it really get easier?
Assuming you work 5 days a week and have 4 weeks annual leave. That’s
15km/day
75km/week
300km/month
3300km/year
For just 12 years service you would have walked nearly the same distance as around the world
So yeah it’s pretty normal to feel knackered in this job.
15km/day
75km/week
300km/month
3300km/year
For just 12 years service you would have walked nearly the same distance as around the world
So yeah it’s pretty normal to feel knackered in this job.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Does it really get easier?
They wouldnt last five minutes being a postie,yet they think they can tell you what to do.Until you have walked in my shoes comes to mind!grandypants wrote:Nearly 20 years in and its only getting harder, considering we get told at least once a week that we are delivering less than we ever have done I have NEVER been so tired in my life, I would love the clowns who thought of park and loop to come and do it for a month and see how they get on, I'll bet they are some pen pushing prats who have never done delivery in there life
![]()
![]()
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Does it really get easier?
Is this the formal term for parking your HCT, filling a pouch with parcels, packets and letters then delivering, then returning to refill? Or does it apply to van runs too?grandypants wrote:park and loop
I'd love to know what it's like doing a round with a van. Is it easier than on foot? Or is it harder because you have to take everything - including oversize - which could then be quite hard going.
Would anyone use an HCT without a pouch and do the whole delivery from the trolley? Would it take forever or is it more efficient?
I'm still not even sure of the definition of a loop - but I am sad enough to love learning the new terms.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Does it really get easier?
Oh and I've just ordered some epsom salts and a few extra pairs of insoles.
Thank you for all the advice!!
Thank you for all the advice!!