Everybody where I work has been superb, but they can only help me up to a point. I can put together the half of the round I’ve done so far and deliver it. I have learnt how to do PDA machine, what needs signing etc.
Ok. The bits I’m struggling with:
1) the big parcels, do they go in the little boxes, put in street name and number and placed in van ?
2) Why are there so many of the big parcels just in the van with me not having a clue why they are in no order or “we’ll just do it on the way round”. I rely sooo heavily on my partner knowing what they are doing I feel like a child.
3) DPG (new building sites). Trying to tie up for these is mental. There might be a number 10, not got a clue once we go on to site.
4) people talking in the sorting office about roads and houses like I could talk about football. It’s quite impressive to hear as a newbie but does send me near panic attack when I don’t understand a thing.
Would a good idea to be ask a trainer after the place empties to just go through the things I struggle with and ask questions, the mornings I just tend to nod like a dog so I don’t become a problem.
It will click I’ve been told.
This post may be more about getting stuff off my chest than anything. And to reiterate, the staff have been great.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
8 days in: Some thoughts...
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
[quote="Seagull1983"]Everybody where I work has been superb, but they can only help me up to a point. I can put together the half of the round I’ve done so far and deliver it. I have learnt how to do PDA machine, what needs signing etc.
Ok. The bits I’m struggling with:
1) the big parcels, do they go in the little boxes, put in street name and number and placed in van ?
2) Why are there so many of the big parcels just in the van with me not having a clue why they are in no order or “we’ll just do it on the way round”. I rely sooo heavily on my partner knowing what they are doing I feel like a child.
3) DPG (new building sites). Trying to tie up for these is mental. There might be a number 10, not got a clue once we go on to site.
4) people talking in the sorting office about roads and houses like I could talk about football. It’s quite impressive to hear as a newbie but does send me near panic attack when I don’t understand a thing.
Would a good idea to be ask a trainer after the place empties to just go through the things I struggle with and ask questions, the mornings I just tend to nod like a dog so I don’t become a problem.
1&2. big parcel i put right at the back of the van in street order and make a list of them that i have the cd player in the van hold for me so i can glance down at it when i arrive in each street.
3, everybody struggles so dont worry.
4. 8 months in and im the same eg can you do walk 26? where is it? behind you, no where is it? oh its over the bridge and 2nd right....
it will just click!
Ok. The bits I’m struggling with:
1) the big parcels, do they go in the little boxes, put in street name and number and placed in van ?
2) Why are there so many of the big parcels just in the van with me not having a clue why they are in no order or “we’ll just do it on the way round”. I rely sooo heavily on my partner knowing what they are doing I feel like a child.
3) DPG (new building sites). Trying to tie up for these is mental. There might be a number 10, not got a clue once we go on to site.
4) people talking in the sorting office about roads and houses like I could talk about football. It’s quite impressive to hear as a newbie but does send me near panic attack when I don’t understand a thing.
Would a good idea to be ask a trainer after the place empties to just go through the things I struggle with and ask questions, the mornings I just tend to nod like a dog so I don’t become a problem.
1&2. big parcel i put right at the back of the van in street order and make a list of them that i have the cd player in the van hold for me so i can glance down at it when i arrive in each street.
3, everybody struggles so dont worry.
4. 8 months in and im the same eg can you do walk 26? where is it? behind you, no where is it? oh its over the bridge and 2nd right....
it will just click!
-
Daveg50
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
It will take some time to get your head around the job, it takes a good 4 to 6 months to understand, learn, digest and build up your speed. When new starters are taken on the guide line is they are to stay on the same round or van share for 3 months. The way you are describing the job it sounds as if you are on a van share, as long as you have a good partner who is has patients and is willing to show you the ropes you will be a pro by Christmas. But be warned in a months time we will be going into Christmas presser our busiest time, get through that and the rest of the year is a walk in the park pardon the pun. Good luck stick and stick at it. 
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
As the weeks go by it gets easier and easier. Just stick with it , good luck.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
Hi, first off, everyone is the same when they start. Some pick it up quicker than others, you just have to give it time. If you're struggling on anything in particular, make a list and ask a workplace coach there, hopefully you have one and you've been introduced, hell, maybe they even trained you up. Don't be afraid to ask about ANYTHING you are unsure of, don't just nod, however silly it may seem to you. Remember EVERYONE was in your position at one time so there should be some level of understanding how you feel. Stick at it, you will naturally get quicker at everything. Don't get too quick though, wouldn't want to be labelled a 'runner' lol.
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
I can only dream of being called a runner :)
Workplace trainer is excellent so I’ll ask him when I’m next in about a few things. My current problem is parcels and how to make them easily identifiable in the van and what letters they should go with.
Workplace trainer is excellent so I’ll ask him when I’m next in about a few things. My current problem is parcels and how to make them easily identifiable in the van and what letters they should go with.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
Write a 'p' on any letters that have packets for that address. If no mail turn the preceding letter around to remind you there's a parcel. When loading van put big packets with the appropriate loops bags, or write a list in the order to be delivered and remember to cross them off as you do them. It should be driver doing oversized though. Any you can't get of, put in grey sack to keep separate. You'll get the hang of it don't worry.Seagull1983 wrote:I can only dream of being called a runner :)
Workplace trainer is excellent so I’ll ask him when I’m next in about a few things. My current problem is parcels and how to make them easily identifiable in the van and what letters they should go with.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
8 days in: Some thoughts...
All newbies rely on their partner to begin with, it's fine. Sounds like you've got a good one, which is great as you'll learn the job from him. People do things in different ways; I just load the oversized in walk order and pull out as I go, others write lists. Remember to check for double ups; my pet hate is going somewhere twice and carrying packets around that there's no need to because you've been there with oversized already.