ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Hi guys,

I am in my first week of a 30 hour (8-2) contract at a small office.
I am covering a round for the next month or so as the previous guy is off. I have had really good support so far and the office is really friendly.
This week I have had a mentor who does the round with me and we have been finishing early or on time.
I was told by the manager that this is one of the few offices where you can still come in early and then go home as soon as you have finished, instead of waiting till your official knock off time. So there are lots of guys who come in at 6:30am and are gone from 12 onwards.
There is only one person in the whole office who comes in at 8. So I have been coming in at 7, hoping to finish at least on time.
But I am staggered at how people can complete a round so quick. The amount of mail to me is crazy. I use the LWT as much as I can so I don’t do my back in and I am following procedures correctly. I am aware this will hold me up using the LWT but my back is more important than a job.
I am aware I will get quicker with time, but the whole idea of me taking this job was to be able to finish at 2. The days I can’t do my whole round I am aware I’d have to do a “cut off”, which I know is frowned upon.

Is it possible to actually do a round with a LWT following the correct procedures and finish in time?

If not what will happen if I have to “cut off” on a regular basis?

Many thanks guys!
wiltim7
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 18:06
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by wiltim7 »

It is possible to finish a round in the time provided sometimes , but usually you have to go at a fast pace and don't use a trolley if you cut off regularly they will find some reason to get rid of you
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by leolion855 »

negotiate before you go out. Take the full round on your first day and see how far your get round before your finish time, after that on the next day if you didnt complete then tell the manager you will be leaving a loop or two, also ask for help prepping your d2ds it will save u a load of time.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by Tomolo208 »

Obviously it will all depend on your circumstances.

If you can't complete (which you aren't expected to as a new part timer) then have a chat with your manager.

Your options:
I can come in earlier and be paid overtime.
I'm ok to finish later and claim overtime.
I can only finish on time and not take all the mail out.

Those are pretty much your 3 options, manager will be happy with the first 2.

Try chatting to your colleagues, if others want the overtime then you can say I wont be able to complete but this legend of a Posty has said he/She will take a little off me to help me out.

Good luck, stick with it and enjoy. For me it's the best job I've ever had.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by citypostie »

Do what the rest are, lob the lwt in a corner , get in at 6 and go home at 12. I'd love a transfer to an office that still works like that. Being allowed to work like that is alot better than what the majority of us are having to do now!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by Postie45 »

citypostie wrote:Do what the rest are, lob the lwt in a corner , get in at 6 and go home at 12. I'd love a transfer to an office that still works like that. Being allowed to work like that is alot better than what the majority of us are having to do now!
sounds great at every office until the DOM is seen by his area manager at why his office is wasting so many man hours per day, then youre all given extra work and expected to carry on running around.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by rambo1 »

Don't come in early, use correct equipment. Your office will probably soon be officially finishing at three anyway. If people came in at 6 at our place they'd be sat about for an hr waiting for the wagon to bring the first wave. I've a feeling from now on after that profit warning, things are gonna tighten right up. Nobody will be getting flyers. It's how it should be really. If the boot were on the other foot , would you be paying your employees to sit at home on their back sides?
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by postmanzach »

citypostie wrote:Do what the rest are, lob the lwt in a corner , get in at 6 and go home at 12. I'd love a transfer to an office that still works like that. Being allowed to work like that is alot better than what the majority of us are having to do now!
I disagree, I see your point but more work load- more power imo. No one makes you work past your hours but most of need the money. We finish far later at 1545 on long days but have a rota so that every 4 weeks we get Friday Saturday. Monday Tuesday days off. Then if you want and there’s work you can do 9 hours OT, worth coming in for.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by postslippete »

I find it incredibly frustrating when I arrive to the depot on time to find posties who have turned up over an hour early (unpaid) and have already got their mail and packets in. Obviously they do manage to leave the office first and finish their duties before anyone else. But all it does is give managers scope to lapse duties that otherwise wouldn't be lapsed. Now in the OPs case I am aware that as they work in one of the smaller offices they probably don't have to endure all the usual clap that we have to face in larger offices with office budgets, health&safety and Work time learning. But we are a business and if you ran a business, would you happy paying your staff to finish 2 hours before their finish time when you could perhaps get a little bit more productivity out of them?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by NewPostieUK »

First of all, it's a 'walk' or 'duty'.. not a 'round'.
Pheonix1 wrote: Is it possible to actually do a round with a LWT following the correct procedures and finish in time?
Not on your first week!

Tell the manager you have to be finished by 2, and with it being y our first week, you'll need help. Put the ball in his court, he needs to get you this help. It will probably involve you leaving something for someone else to do.

After a few weeks you might be able to start and finish on time, you might be a natural, who knows? If you are struggling after a few weeks, get some advice from your rep.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by arnold cheshire »

Should now be called a run or a marathon not a walk or duty
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by Seymour Buts »

citypostie wrote:Do what the rest are, lob the lwt in a corner , get in at 6 and go home at 12. I'd love a transfer to an office that still works like that. Being allowed to work like that is alot better than what the majority of us are having to do now!
Time is limited for that. Ours was exactly the same up untill about 6 months ago, literally 10:30 - 11 most Saturdays despite being paid till 1:30; same on Tuesdays. Never really went over on anyday and done early most. Then the Union came in and explained that we were a high impact union for hours being lost and Royal Mail wanted to know what's going on.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Don't know if I will be able to complete round.

Post by Navalron »

postietom wrote:
citypostie wrote:Do what the rest are, lob the lwt in a corner , get in at 6 and go home at 12. I'd love a transfer to an office that still works like that. Being allowed to work like that is alot better than what the majority of us are having to do now!

Time is limited for that. Ours was exactly the same up untill about 6 months ago, literally 10:30 - 11 most Saturdays despite being paid till 1:30; same on Tuesdays. Never really went over on anyday and done early most. Then the Union came in and explained that we were a high impact union for hours being lost and Royal Mail wanted to know what's going on.
What is going on is posture coming in early (unpaid) running about like idiots to try and job and trot. The union have have posties advice and even RM themselves give you trolleys and tell you how to do the job properly, but there is so many still used to job and trot or knock, and they just can't seem to stop f.....g it up for you and themselves.