I'm a part timer on a 25 hour contract and had been doing 7.30 till 12.30(inc. meal break) until now. This morning I arrived at 7.30 and finished throwing my frame off. Then the manager came and told me I should have started at 7.50 am this morning. He stated the times for my duty are 7.50 till 14.10. and asked if I'd be ok. I just said I would probably end up leaving some mail in order to complete when it was busy, so he said to talk to the main manager tomorrow and mention "family friendly" I work these hours because I have a 4 year old who is in nursery and I have to pick him up, so I need to leave at 12.30 at the very latest.
I have been covering this duty for about 9 months now and have been working 7.30 till 12-12.30 at the latest without a break and booking it if I go past 12 as meal relief/Ext. I come in on time and don't run round my duty, I still manage to complete within the hours I'm on most of the time (not including busy Christmas times) but it does cheese me off that anyone else covering this duty gets paid till 14.10 for the same amount of work. I'd only heard of the full timers having to start their duties later and never heard anything regarding the part timers. I checked the board and the duty I am on states the following:
Mon:06.20-14.10 total hours 7.50
Tue:06.20-13.50 total hours 7.30
Wed:06.20-14.30 total hours 8.10
Thur:06.20-14.30 total hours 8.10
Fri:06.20-14.30 total hours 8.10
Sat:06.20-14.00 total hours 7.40
What are my options just so I know what to mention to my main manager tomorrow,
Come in at the new times and only take out what I can complete in the time, take my break and get back for 12.30. This is sounding like my only option really.
or ask to still come in at 7.30 and continue to book any o/t as I have been doing.
Although when I went to book my o/t today the manager said that I shouldn't be booking o/t time today as I should have come in at 7.50 not 7.30. I still filled in the o/t sheet but was told to ask the main manager tomorrow to confirm I would be paid. I hadn't been told of my new start time until this morning, even though the manager said it was on the sheet pinned on the board. I went to check and there was no mention of my 7.50 Start time, just what was printed above. :/
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Earlier Start Time for Part timers Advice
-
Flora
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 09:25
- Gender: Female
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Earlier Start Time for Part timers Advice
You should have said no, my time is 7.30 till 12.30, you have made a mistake. If you want me to start later you need to give me my new time in writing with plenty of notice. My finish time will be 5 hrs after starting. Keep things simple, so he understands.Flora wrote: He stated the times for my duty are 7.50 till 14.10. and asked if I'd be ok
Last edited by NewPostieUK on 01 Oct 2018, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Earlier Start Time for Part timers Advice
If you start at 07.50 your finish time should be 12.50 then at 25 hours a week?
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Earlier Start Time for Part timers Advice
tell your manager you are on a 25hr contract and want to stick to so put you on a duty to reflect those hours
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Earlier Start Time for Part timers Advice
They're trying it on mate. You have a start and finish time.
"If you start me later it means I can do less work"
say that
"If you start me later it means I can do less work"
say that