ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Taking your dog on delivery
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Taking your dog on delivery
Here's a wee question.
Is there an official RM rule on this?
Not long after I first started with RM my DOM suggested I take my dog with me on my route.
But I have also heard that being caught with your dog on route can be an "instantly sackable offence".
So if that is the case, why would the DOM suggest it?
Just wondering. If anyone knows the official line and can point me to it I would be very grateful.
Thanks.
Is there an official RM rule on this?
Not long after I first started with RM my DOM suggested I take my dog with me on my route.
But I have also heard that being caught with your dog on route can be an "instantly sackable offence".
So if that is the case, why would the DOM suggest it?
Just wondering. If anyone knows the official line and can point me to it I would be very grateful.
Thanks.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
He (or she) will need training first in the use of the Paw... D..A
Seriously though... this is a mad windup ? ? ?
Seriously though... this is a mad windup ? ? ?
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
I know a someone that does it, definitely not aloud but management turn a blind eye.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Taking your dog on delivery
Even the quiet ones can get up to no good. Definitely not recommended. You have to keep your dog under close control at all times in a publc area, and what about walking up paths, that's private land. .. .a whole can of worms.deetee wrote: definitely not aloud .
Personally, I'd be horrified if a postman walked up my drive with a dog.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
We're under enough time pressure and have enough to concentrate on without having to keep an eye on even a very well behaved dog.
And I don't think it would be beneficial for even a young fit dog to be walking 10-14 miles a day on hard pavements, it would result in the same long term damage to joints that we suffer from.
And I don't think it would be beneficial for even a young fit dog to be walking 10-14 miles a day on hard pavements, it would result in the same long term damage to joints that we suffer from.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Taking your dog on delivery
wacko74 et al
I totally agree! The DOM suggested it yet it's forbidden?!
My dog is a wee Jack Russell Terrier and very well behaved. I did take her with me once, attached to my belt when I knew it would be a long day and therefore unfair for her to go even longer than me without a pee. She hated it and whined when it rained. Now at 7.50am she is delighted to jump into her crate with a jar smeared with peanut butter when I put my jacket on, knowing she has the next 6hours all to herself.
Decky Boy - definitely not a "mad wind up". A genuine question and I've heard of other posties on van routes who take their dogs.
Was jus t wondering if anyone knew the officla line since DOM had suggested I take the dog yet union rep advises it's a sackable offence. So many mixed messages in my workplace.
I totally agree! The DOM suggested it yet it's forbidden?!
My dog is a wee Jack Russell Terrier and very well behaved. I did take her with me once, attached to my belt when I knew it would be a long day and therefore unfair for her to go even longer than me without a pee. She hated it and whined when it rained. Now at 7.50am she is delighted to jump into her crate with a jar smeared with peanut butter when I put my jacket on, knowing she has the next 6hours all to herself.
Decky Boy - definitely not a "mad wind up". A genuine question and I've heard of other posties on van routes who take their dogs.
Was jus t wondering if anyone knew the officla line since DOM had suggested I take the dog yet union rep advises it's a sackable offence. So many mixed messages in my workplace.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Taking your dog on delivery
Your DOM is either joking or an idiot. Probably both.
Personally I've never heard of anyone doing this and I can't imagine any postman being stupid enough to try.
We spend all day trying to keep away from the $%&*ers !
Dogs not DOMs. Well, both actually.
Personally I've never heard of anyone doing this and I can't imagine any postman being stupid enough to try.
We spend all day trying to keep away from the $%&*ers !
Dogs not DOMs. Well, both actually.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
It’s not a mixed message if your union rep advised it’s a sackable offence , why do it?
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Taking your dog on delivery
I know someone who's been taking his dog on delivery or going home to walk it during work hours for years. He''s been caught a few times and even got suspended when he got involved in a bust up with another dog walker.
But he still does it. Stupid is as stupid does!
But he still does it. Stupid is as stupid does!
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
Why would you?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Taking your dog on delivery
It's a joke postMobey wrote:Why would you?
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
Taking your dog on delivery
Not a joke post.arnold cheshire wrote:It's a joke postMobey wrote:Why would you?
A genuine request for other peoples experience.
My DOM suggested I take my dog. Others are suggesting that I leave her at home.
But nobody has pointed me to the relevant clause in RM legislation.
Does such a clause exist? If so, please point me to it. Thanks.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
Why would you want to put your dog through 12 miles of walking in a single day 5 days a week it is cruel and it wouldn’t last long
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Taking your dog on delivery
correct, that would be animal cruelty!Creditshampoo wrote:Why would you want to put your dog through 12 miles of walking in a single day 5 days a week it is cruel and it wouldn’t last long
I thought for a moment you are joking, apparently and sadly not, my advice is to leave your dog at home and keep your job.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Taking your dog on delivery
There is no need for legislation one way or the other. You are in an employment relationship (or contract) with your employer... Your dog is not !!! Think about it seriously ... it!'s so inappropriate on so many levels that it's almost farcical you ask the question ?
Like you I have a love of dogs and they can be good buddies on a long walk... but not on a postal delivery
Your manager (I'm afraid) is a buffoon.
Like you I have a love of dogs and they can be good buddies on a long walk... but not on a postal delivery
Your manager (I'm afraid) is a buffoon.