ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking your dog on delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by cookiewise »

Here's a wee question.
Is there an official RM rule on this?
Not long after I first started with RM my DOM suggested I take my dog with me on my route.
But I have also heard that being caught with your dog on route can be an "instantly sackable offence".
So if that is the case, why would the DOM suggest it?

Just wondering. If anyone knows the official line and can point me to it I would be very grateful.
Thanks.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Decky Boy »

He (or she) will need training first in the use of the Paw... D..A :left:

Seriously though... this is a mad windup ? ? ?
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by postmanzach »

I know a someone that does it, definitely not aloud but management turn a blind eye.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

deetee wrote: definitely not aloud .
Even the quiet ones can get up to no good. Definitely not recommended. You have to keep your dog under close control at all times in a publc area, and what about walking up paths, that's private land. .. .a whole can of worms.

Personally, I'd be horrified if a postman walked up my drive with a dog.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by wacko74 »

We're under enough time pressure and have enough to concentrate on without having to keep an eye on even a very well behaved dog.

And I don't think it would be beneficial for even a young fit dog to be walking 10-14 miles a day on hard pavements, it would result in the same long term damage to joints that we suffer from.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by cookiewise »

wacko74 et al
I totally agree! The DOM suggested it yet it's forbidden?!
My dog is a wee Jack Russell Terrier and very well behaved. I did take her with me once, attached to my belt when I knew it would be a long day and therefore unfair for her to go even longer than me without a pee. She hated it and whined when it rained. Now at 7.50am she is delighted to jump into her crate with a jar smeared with peanut butter when I put my jacket on, knowing she has the next 6hours all to herself.

Decky Boy - definitely not a "mad wind up". A genuine question and I've heard of other posties on van routes who take their dogs.
Was jus t wondering if anyone knew the officla line since DOM had suggested I take the dog yet union rep advises it's a sackable offence. So many mixed messages in my workplace.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

Your DOM is either joking or an idiot. Probably both.

Personally I've never heard of anyone doing this and I can't imagine any postman being stupid enough to try.

We spend all day trying to keep away from the $%&*ers ! :Very Happy

Dogs not DOMs. Well, both actually.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by rubberbond »

It’s not a mixed message if your union rep advised it’s a sackable offence , why do it?
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

I know someone who's been taking his dog on delivery or going home to walk it during work hours for years. He''s been caught a few times and even got suspended when he got involved in a bust up with another dog walker.

But he still does it. Stupid is as stupid does! :arrrghhh
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Mobey »

Why would you?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by arnold cheshire »

Mobey wrote:Why would you?
It's a joke post
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by cookiewise »

arnold cheshire wrote:
Mobey wrote:Why would you?
It's a joke post
Not a joke post.
A genuine request for other peoples experience.
My DOM suggested I take my dog. Others are suggesting that I leave her at home.
But nobody has pointed me to the relevant clause in RM legislation.

Does such a clause exist? If so, please point me to it. Thanks.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Creditshampoo »

Why would you want to put your dog through 12 miles of walking in a single day 5 days a week it is cruel and it wouldn’t last long
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Janet Brum »

Creditshampoo wrote:Why would you want to put your dog through 12 miles of walking in a single day 5 days a week it is cruel and it wouldn’t last long
correct, that would be animal cruelty!
I thought for a moment you are joking, apparently and sadly not, my advice is to leave your dog at home and keep your job.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Taking your dog on delivery

Post by Decky Boy »

There is no need for legislation one way or the other. You are in an employment relationship (or contract) with your employer... Your dog is not !!! Think about it seriously ... it!'s so inappropriate on so many levels that it's almost farcical you ask the question ?

Like you I have a love of dogs and they can be good buddies on a long walk... but not on a postal delivery :thumbdown

Your manager (I'm afraid) is a buffoon.