ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Forced to work in other offices

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
iistuii
Posts: 9
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:04
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by iistuii »

In our office lots of new entrants who after a couple of months are told to go to another office to work, which is miles away too. It’s just so our office can continue to lapse rounds. I feel for them, they have no idea where to go & are completely lost in the new offices. All of them say they had no idea they were expected to go to other offices, & nothing was mentioned in their induction it’s a shame & especially as it’s about 10 miles away. Can they refuse ???
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by leolion855 »

most people are only insured to drive there car to one place work, so i always ask them to provide me with a company van to get there and back,and then take the travel time off my delivery which normally leaves time to do two loops. i dont get asked much now.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by jd9442 »

I’d love my office to send me to another office
By the time all the transporting me around has happened I’ll only be out delivering about 3 hours
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by Dorset Plodder »

This problem has been discussed in the past. Consensus is that your place of work is your own Delivery Office. Your time starts when you arrive at your DO. If required your DOM should provide/arrange transport to, and from, your DO to the DO that your working at. In theory you could finish at your "New" DO in enough time to return to your "Old" DO in order to finish at your contracted time. :hmmmm

IF you decide to use your own transport (bearing in mind what has been mentioned about insurance) you are entitled to a Travelling Allowance to cover your Fuel. Make sure you record mileage and get the correct rate. :thumbup I would suggest that it's basically how difficult you want to make it for your DOM. Some people enjoy working in other DOs, they're often run more efficiently, and may be friendlier, than your own DO. :crazy: IF you don't want to go use all your entitlements to make it akward for your DOM. I would also suggest that if this happens on a Regular Basis you could suggest to your DOM that there is a Rota so that everyone has a chance to work in the nearby DOs, not just the Newbies :thumbdown

I would also suggest that perhaps it should be the Posties who work their days off that could perhaps help out at these nearby DOs. :hmmmm There's nothing worse than when you're asked to go to another DO and you see someone working their day off, on their own duty! :thumbdown Good Luck :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by postmanzach »

Yeah like others have said make sure there booking the overtime including travelling time and claiming the 45p a mile petrol. I’m not 100% what rule is, as my DOM told me I had to but not sure this is true, like what if I didn’t have a car. I was being sent to different offices every day all over Cornwall after transferring down here then them not really needing me. I was on different rounds In the office I was in so wasnt much different and didn’t get on with the Dom so was quite nice to go to different offfices and see how things are done differently.
It’ was quite draining and I almost quit but all goood in the end, managers are glad to have you there and don’t mind if you bring stuff back as obviously you won’t get trained on the rounds. Now that I’m settled in a small office and have my own round, the best bit was getting 2 hours pay for driving to work, but now I have a round with customers I know well I could never do it again except on the occasional day off over time. I found the lovely office I work in now from working in different offices so that’s the big pro from it.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by yellowbelly »

Dorset Plodder wrote: I would also suggest that perhaps it should be the Posties who work their days off that could perhaps help out at these nearby DOs. :hmmmm There's nothing worse than when you're asked to go to another DO and you see someone working their day off, on their own duty! :thumbdown Good Luck :cuppa
But then (and I've seen it happen) the regular postie kicks off that they can't do their own round/own office on day off - so they're not doing it - manager
caves in and says ok you can do your own round - reserve/cover duty is sent to different office.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by Dorset Plodder »

yellowbelly wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote: I would also suggest that perhaps it should be the Posties who work their days off that could perhaps help out at these nearby DOs. :hmmmm There's nothing worse than when you're asked to go to another DO and you see someone working their day off, on their own duty! :thumbdown Good Luck :cuppa
But then (and I've seen it happen) the regular postie kicks off that they can't do their own round/own office on day off - so they're not doing it - manager
caves in and says ok you can do your own round - reserve/cover duty is sent to different office.
Yeah unfortunately I've seen it as well YB. :thumbdown That's the problem of expecting a Royal Mail Manager to have some balls! It has worked in my DO though, admittedly the Postie in question was an "Overtime Bandit" and did go to another DO to work his days off. :thumbup It really is pathetic how some Managers roll over so easily, God Knows where we get them from? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Forced to work in other offices

Post by Celgar »

On the subject of being sent to other offices NEVER EVER EVER offer to use your own vehicle to get to the other DO. If they want you to go there let them sort transport to and from the locations for you obviously within duty time. Your personal car insurance will likely not cover you for driving to another office unless you have paid for business insurance. If you get sent to other offices you are like the cavalry and they will likely be very friendly & helpful towards you.
A while back when we were fully staffed and another office wasn't we were expected to send staff there to level out the numbers. We started using a rota so everyone would get a go at being sent to another office. We didn't get far with that though as either they got more staff or we lost some.
On the subject of working days off to help cover walks I am willing to do it but I wouldn't volunteer if it meant I had to do a different walk.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Forced to work in other offices

Post by GT85 »

Working in another office is a reasonable request and therefore you cannot refuse :cry however you make it difficult for them and they will hopefully not pick you again :thumbup
We're all here because we're not all there