ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Islander
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Islander »

Its that time of year I have been told that I have to pick holidays for next year, I have to give at least 6 choices. Are holidays picked on seniority as when I handed in my sheet I was told to pick more as I was way down the list.

What happens if you really need a certin week, there is a camp we have been going to for the last 10 years and I dont want to miss it.
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by nuns »

don't pick it go sick
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by greengiant »

nuns wrote:don't pick it go sick
Or ask colleague to do a holiday swap?
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by jd9442 »

Book it
Pay for it
Say it’s been booked for years
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Chris413 »

I was always under the impression that seniority didn't come into holidays, but found out this week that in my DO it does and I sit at the bottom of the list. So that's me fooked for next year.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by olilew »

I don't think they are allowed to do holidays on seniority now.I would stand to be corrected though. They are picked on a rota in ours, first this year middle next year and last the year after.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Celgar »

Islander wrote:Its that time of year I have been told that I have to pick holidays for next year, I have to give at least 6 choices. Are holidays picked on seniority as when I handed in my sheet I was told to pick more as I was way down the list.

What happens if you really need a certin week, there is a camp we have been going to for the last 10 years and I dont want to miss it.
I suggest you mention to the person organising the annual leave that you would really like that specific week and they will likely try and fix it for you. Alternatively you could try and swap with another postie for the week you need afterwards. I think most DOs use either seniority or variations of it to allocate annual leave.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by panch1989 »

Units should not be using seniority for leave slots.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Holidays

Post by k979aaa »

Islander wrote:Its that time of year I have been told that I have to pick holidays for next year, I have to give at least 6 choices. Are holidays picked on seniority as when I handed in my sheet I was told to pick more as I was way down the list.

What happens if you really need a certin week, there is a camp we have been going to for the last 10 years and I dont want to miss it.
Best thing to is see how it plays out but you can have special leave but it is a bit hard going sick if you have asked for it and being refused they don't making resourcing easy for themselves or for you do they it will be even worse if you go sick but their must be a resourcing problem in your office by the way it is not the only one in RM!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Creditshampoo »

Using seniority is not allowed
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Holidays

Post by General Mannerheim »

Celgar wrote:
Islander wrote:Its that time of year I have been told that I have to pick holidays for next year, I have to give at least 6 choices. Are holidays picked on seniority as when I handed in my sheet I was told to pick more as I was way down the list.

What happens if you really need a certin week, there is a camp we have been going to for the last 10 years and I dont want to miss it.
I suggest you mention to the person organising the annual leave that you would really like that specific week and they will likely try and fix it for you. Alternatively you could try and swap with another postie for the week you need afterwards. I think most DOs use either seniority or variations of it to allocate annual leave.
In our craphole if you put down you really want/need a certain week/s then the fat twat who does them makes sure you don't get them weeks as he thinks he's a manager and gets off on it when you kick off.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.