ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sending a parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by Pathfinder »

So when you go into post office to send a parcel at what point does the parcel being sent go from Royal Mail to
Parcelforce? I’m guessing size / weight etc

I send quite abit and have always wondered about this, especially as some parcels I deliver are sometimes bigger and heavier that what cost me nearly £15 today to send via Parcelforce. Do Post offices earn more if they get parcels sent through Parcelforce?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by number one »

I think anything over 20kg goes with parcel force automatically, you can also request items to be sent parcel force as somtimes the 24hr Delivery is cheaper that special delivery depending on size and weight
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by Pathfinder »

20kg parcels I can understand, but this was a little bigger than shoe box and no more than 3kg. I’ve had bigger in me pouch bag!
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by zipmeister »

Size of tracked 24 parcels being increased to 30kg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

zipmeister wrote:Size of tracked 24 parcels being increased to 30kg.
Not heard anything about that here
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Sending a parcel

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:I think anything over 20kg goes with parcel force automatically, you can also request items to be sent parcel force as somtimes the 24hr Delivery is cheaper that special delivery depending on size and weight
Thats changing https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=87676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at least fro tracked items.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Sending a parcel

Post by glenfiddich »

I had a glass topped coffee table to deliver the other day weighing in at 22kg the lady asked me to carry it inside and I was half expecting her to ask me to build it for her as well :d'oh!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by Celgar »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:I think anything over 20kg goes with parcel force automatically, you can also request items to be sent parcel force as somtimes the 24hr Delivery is cheaper that special delivery depending on size and weight
Thats changing https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=87676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at least fro tracked items.
It says on that link that they don't want RM to take business from Parcelforce. If that is the case they will have to make prices from both services the same. But then if they did that then what is the point in having the two services except to give larger items to Parcelforce to deliver. Then quite often we seem to get larger items that barely deliver in our smaller Vans when those items could fit easily in the much larger Parcelforce vans.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by rubberbond »

glenfiddich wrote:I had a glass topped coffee table to deliver the other day weighing in at 22kg the lady asked me to carry it inside and I was half expecting her to ask me to build it for her as well :d'oh!
I take it you were offered suitable recompense in monetary terms for your outstanding customer service ,which you rightly declined, or were you left standing outside?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Sending a parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Still not heard anything officially about it, until we do anything over 20kg will just get sent back as overweight