ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Post12345 »

Grrrr .
So when I applied the role was 9-2.. I was very honest in interview and from the outset. I can never work past two due to childcare commitments....
Caused a few issues over the months, I had to cut off a few times and so they moved me about, all good in the end...
Went in today and on the sign in sheet it had me down as finish 1415....
Is that just to match with the full timer and I can still say I'm off at 2 (which I have done every day for a year) or are they now trying to force my hand?.
It's just one thing after another with this place. I NEVER would have taken the job if I had known finish times change....
And I know its only 15 mins today but when you are arguing with a full timer that you will have to cut off to have that on the sheet is a nightmare, will it's say 1445 next Wednesday??
Do I raise it? Obv my contract is just 5 hours a day... annoyingly.
I feel like this is the start and I'll end up leaving before I have to fight every day up to Xmas just to finish to get my kids ....
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Sir Henry »

Go see the rep asap. Are you also starting 15 minutes later or are they making some of your other days shorter?
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
ninja
Posts: 193
Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by ninja »

Depends on what your contract states. So please check if it states 9-2 or just states your contractual hours.

If it states 9-2 then they would need to honour these times or agree a new contract.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by rambo1 »

We don't even have any duties that finish that early. You're lucky you've had it for a year. We used to finish at 12 yrs ago which was great, meant you had a life in the afternoon. It's 3-5pm now. Just gotta accept it or move on I'm afraid. If you're life doesn't fit into the delivery times for you're office then you may have to organise childcare or look for a morning only job. I'm afraid the business isn't geared up to working Flexi time. May sound harsh but having kids to pick up shouldn't be a reason for special treatment.
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Post12345 »

Thanks all. Sorry for ranting! Got me at a stroppy moment.
Yep spoke to my area rep, basically agrees I've had it good for a year and it's over. Doubt I'll ever get those times in a flexible working agreement. Contract is just hours...
Sadly I just can't afford to put my kids in child care longer on the possibility I'll work late and get the OT some days and not others.
Looks like a bowing out before the Xmas rush
This really has been a great resource and kept me in this long but you are right part time posty just doesn't work for a single mum with small kids.
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Post12345 »

Sir Henry wrote:Go see the rep asap. Are you also starting 15 minutes later or are they making some of your other days shorter?
Today it still said 9am....
Should they tell me before hand if they are starting me later the next day? I don't see the sheet untill that morning
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by NewPostieUK »

I wouldn't pay any attention to the signing in sheet. Mine has me working 7:30 - 4pm. I work 9 - 3 so I cross it out and put 9 - 3.

If you are worried about it, just see the manager and tell him there's a mistake on the sheet, you finish at 2.

If they want you to finish 15 mins later they'll have to tell you that and give you notice, and also tell you to start 15 mins later.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Celgar »

Start and finish times shouldn't change from day to day. They should be set the same every week. It's common to have different duty times each day to match duty hours to expected workload but, for example, every Monday should have the same duty times for every walk.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by jd9442 »

rambo1 wrote:We don't even have any duties that finish that early. You're lucky you've had it for a year. We used to finish at 12 yrs ago which was great, meant you had a life in the afternoon. It's 3-5pm now. Just gotta accept it or move on I'm afraid. If you're life doesn't fit into the delivery times for you're office then you may have to organise childcare or look for a morning only job. I'm afraid the business isn't geared up to working Flexi time. May sound harsh but having kids to pick up shouldn't be a reason for special treatment.
3-5?
Do they tell 5 hour staff to come in at midday if they’re only going to work their 5 hours?
Nobody goes out later than 10 in my office so 5 hour staff would never have to work past 3, 2:30 with the break off the end if they didn’t want to
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by Navalron »

jd9442 wrote:
rambo1 wrote:We don't even have any duties that finish that early. You're lucky you've had it for a year. We used to finish at 12 yrs ago which was great, meant you had a life in the afternoon. It's 3-5pm now. Just gotta accept it or move on I'm afraid. If you're life doesn't fit into the delivery times for you're office then you may have to organise childcare or look for a morning only job. I'm afraid the business isn't geared up to working Flexi time. May sound harsh but having kids to pick up shouldn't be a reason for special treatment.
3-5?
Do they tell 5 hour staff to come in at midday if they’re only going to work their 5 hours?
Nobody goes out later than 10 in my office so 5 hour staff would never have to work past 3, 2:30 with the break off the end if they didn’t want to
No you don't just have to accept it or move on, that's what contracts and the union's for. Never heard so much garbage before.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Why is everything such a fight ALL the time?!

Post by rambo1 »

Navalron wrote:
jd9442 wrote:
rambo1 wrote:We don't even have any duties that finish that early. You're lucky you've had it for a year. We used to finish at 12 yrs ago which was great, meant you had a life in the afternoon. It's 3-5pm now. Just gotta accept it or move on I'm afraid. If you're life doesn't fit into the delivery times for you're office then you may have to organise childcare or look for a morning only job. I'm afraid the business isn't geared up to working Flexi time. May sound harsh but having kids to pick up shouldn't be a reason for special treatment.
3-5?
Do they tell 5 hour staff to come in at midday if they’re only going to work their 5 hours?
Nobody goes out later than 10 in my office so 5 hour staff would never have to work past 3, 2:30 with the break off the end if they didn’t want to
No you don't just have to accept it or move on, that's what contracts and the union's for. Never heard so much garbage before.
Oh yeah the Union, that's why we start and finish later now than we used to. Most posties would rather have the old hrs.