ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tony67
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by tony67 »

Well im nearly 52 and have worked at quite a few places over the years and have never experienced anything like this!
I am on a 30 hour a week (5 days) contract which at interview was supposed to be 8.50 until 14.50, that was total nonsense I am asked to go in for 7.30am every morning!
On the induction day it sounded quite impressive training wise, I was with another postie for two days then just out on my own, no real training at all!

Was told every week my day off would change 1st week Monday 2nd week Tuesday and so on, then they change the rotas and throw it all off, changed it again today to a different round and started from day off Monday again for the third time, i went to have a word with the manager because he assured me when i started i would get a Saturday off around every six weeks, today he has decided i am a reserve and will probably never get a Saturday off!! I only took the job because i thought id have the odd Saturday off (need it to go get my kids who live 180 miles away already told them it would be every 6 weeks instead of monthly), and on top of all that over the last 4 weeks they are skimming an hour of overtime off me, said they will sort it as of yet nothing. Asked me to give them the dates of holidays for next year filled the form in handed it in on the 31st August then few days later was told I couldnt have those dates (didnt put christmas) was a week during the kids Easter hols and 2 weeks end of July???

What sort of company is this?? I dont think our office even has a union rep, all the other posties ive spoke to have said they arent in the union!

Thing is, there is not much work round here and im getting on abit, another job will be hard to find and i cant afford not to work, feel like im trapped in this s**t!

Rant over! Actually feel abit better for it!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by fishtank »

The trick is not to think about it like a company but more like a dysfunctional teenage son, it smells bad, lies to your face, sulks and makes very little sense and will dip your pockets while you sleep.

Just like a teenager the only way to get through it is to make the most of the time when it's not around.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by worktotime »

are you a cwu member ? if you are and you don't have a rep contact the area rep and tell him / her what is going on and dont let the bastards grind you down , you have a start and finish time so its up to you if you want to start before your time or go over as o/t is optional and not compulsory , and as for not paying you or skimming your o/t you don't need it tell the dim that you want your money owed until then you will be finishing on time , and put a grievance in against the dim ,
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Tell them you have booked to go away the weeks you want next year.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by Chris413 »

Know how exactly how you feel, I am about your age and sick to the back teeth with the antics of this company and it's managers. Half way through the trial and I wish I could just tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. But like you it's almost impossible to find another job in my area. I am on a 35 hour contract but I go in early because if I don't I know I will be still on the route at tea time. Everyday 1 to 2+ hours overtime which I don't want, being treat like a child by a pedantic manager at my age ffs. Being told when I can take my last weeks holiday this year, and not even getting onto the subject of next year yet. The public realy need to know how bad this company is to work for.
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by postslippete »

Royal Mail is a big company that says all the right things with diversity, equality, fairness etc etc but the truth is on a local level they always look after the chosen ones. They are either 1. guys with over 30+ years experience (also known as the untouchables) or 2. guys that do copious amounts of overtime so they get well looked after - and I don't mean being asked to come in early but taking out the extra loops that other posties have thrown off :wink:
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by Jpro747 »

Don’t let them walk all over you or they will, the managers target the new ones because they don’t know their rights! Join the union.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by postmanzach »

Chris413 wrote:Know how exactly how you feel, I am about your age and sick to the back teeth with the antics of this company and it's managers. Half way through the trial and I wish I could just tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. But like you it's almost impossible to find another job in my area. I am on a 35 hour contract but I go in early because if I don't I know I will be still on the route at tea time. Everyday 1 to 2+ hours overtime which I don't want, being treat like a child by a pedantic manager at my age ffs. Being told when I can take my last weeks holiday this year, and not even getting onto the subject of next year yet. The public realy need to know how bad this company is to work for.
Sorry but it’s people like you ruining the job. You come in early your working for free. Come in on time, take your breaks. You want to finish on time you tell your union rep to join you in telling your manager this and take a guess at how much will be left and ask the manager which bit he wants you to leave. Of course they will leave you to finish it unless you tell them otherwise.
Stop coming in early working for free.
tony67
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by tony67 »

worktotime wrote:are you a cwu member ? if you are and you don't have a rep contact the area rep and tell him / her what is going on and dont let the bastards grind you down , you have a start and finish time so its up to you if you want to start before your time or go over as o/t is optional and not compulsory , and as for not paying you or skimming your o/t you don't need it tell the dim that you want your money owed until then you will be finishing on time , and put a grievance in against the dim ,
No, not a member yet, never seen a rep but I shall endeavour to find out how I join.
tony67
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by tony67 »

fishtank wrote:The trick is not to think about it like a company but more like a dysfunctional teenage son, it smells bad, lies to your face, sulks and makes very little sense and will dip your pockets while you sleep.

Just like a teenager the only way to get through it is to make the most of the time when it's not around.
Cheers for that, first time ive smiled for weeks!
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by hero22 »

Its sad that working for royal mail leaves so many people angry or depressed. I always thought it was just my office was run like sweatshop but seems its nationwide. In the past 8 weeks I think out of 5 new starts 3 have left and the other two haven't had long enough to realise they are about to be mentally violated by our wonderfully trained managers. Funny part is as soon as u r out of the office I enjoy the job.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by NewPostieUK »

tony67 wrote:that was total nonsense I am asked to go in for 7.30am every morning!
*Asked*. . just say no, you need your sleep, that's what I do.

As for the 1 in 6 saturdays, everyone is entitled to that, if you don't get at least 1 in 6 then you are being treated unfairly, go and see the rep.
tony67
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by tony67 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
tony67 wrote:that was total nonsense I am asked to go in for 7.30am every morning!
*Asked*. . just say no, you need your sleep, that's what I do.

As for the 1 in 6 saturdays, everyone is entitled to that, if you don't get at least 1 in 6 then you are being treated unfairly, go and see the rep.
I tried this yesterday, thats when i was told for the first time i was a reserve and am not entitled, like i say i will find out how i join the union.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Stick to your guns mate or managers will walk all over you.They will try to manipulate you with threats of 'you are not flexible or fast enough 'etc ,but a contract is a contract , if you don't want to start early or do overtime then don't, if they ask why not just say you have family commitments.

NO disrespect but you are just another mule like everybody else , some go for the carrot others don't.
Welcome to a company which is run on fear.
tony67
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by tony67 »

Chris413 wrote:Know how exactly how you feel, I am about your age and sick to the back teeth with the antics of this company and it's managers. Half way through the trial and I wish I could just tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. But like you it's almost impossible to find another job in my area. I am on a 35 hour contract but I go in early because if I don't I know I will be still on the route at tea time. Everyday 1 to 2+ hours overtime which I don't want, being treat like a child by a pedantic manager at my age ffs. Being told when I can take my last weeks holiday this year, and not even getting onto the subject of next year yet. The public realy need to know how bad this company is to work for.
It stinks, thing is if i had been told the truth at the interview stage i certainly would not have handed my notice in with my last job, i thought the less hours would afford me more family time which in a way still does but it does mean i will see my other kids alot less because I have to work every Sat and we wont even be able to book our usual family holiday next year in the school hols. From today i am working my contracted hours and will be taking my 20 mins, think il be very unpopular with the other posties who im on the rounds with because none as yet take the break but do end 20 mins earlier, if when the 6 months come i get told no thanks, so be it i wont be taken the p**s of!