ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Weekly van checks
-
Mel73
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 10:47
- Gender: Female
Weekly van checks
Silly question possibly, but do weekly van checks have to be done on a Monday or can you vary the day depending on how busy you are?
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Got to be done by first driver of the week, usually Monday, unless of course it hasn't been used Monday. Tick weekly check in logbook, first driver of the day after the weekly check ticks daily and if you're 2nd driver of any day tick duty. Hope that helps.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Never heard about the first driver of the week thing. We do the weekly check on every Tuesday usually as that is nearly always a light day in terms of amount of mail. Therefore there is always time to do it and no excuse not to.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
The weekly van check should have the correct allotted time built into the " 318" of the person who has been nominated to carry out such a check for the vehicle that is designated to the duty.
On completion of duty the relevant boxes will have been ticked in the vehicle log book that the weekly check has been completed and countersigned by manager.
If van check highlights that the vehicle is unroadworthy the vehicle is rejected and a subsequent PMT completed identifying the reason for the rejection.
On completion of duty the relevant boxes will have been ticked in the vehicle log book that the weekly check has been completed and countersigned by manager.
If van check highlights that the vehicle is unroadworthy the vehicle is rejected and a subsequent PMT completed identifying the reason for the rejection.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Weekly van checks
Ours are all planned in for Tuesdays.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
It’s clear sometimes the van checks aren’t done especially when it’s a spare van ,as if it was it would be taken out of service,take the point no excuses for it not to be done,but what a can of worms it opens if it’s not road worthy and the delivery is in jeopardy!,and you have to find a manager to manage the incident and come up with a plan,and do a bit of managing and fix the problem,have I said enough??
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Thats the managers problem and what they get the big bucks for. If a problem with the vehicle comes to light and effects the delivery being completed after a weekly van check has been endorsed by the employee guess who will be the first port of call by that manager. Need I say more.robbertwhitton wrote:It’s clear sometimes the van checks aren’t done especially when it’s a spare van ,as if it was it would be taken out of service,take the point no excuses for it not to be done,but what a can of worms it opens if it’s not road worthy and the delivery is in jeopardy!,and you have to find a manager to manage the incident and come up with a plan,and do a bit of managing and fix the problem,have I said enough??
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
I don't think '318' are looked at that much nowadays. Most posties will have a van to use so each postie does the weekly check on the van they are using. In addition the DOM checks the weekly check for, in the case of our DO, two vans each week.rehabron wrote:The weekly van check should have the correct allotted time built into the " 318" of the person who has been nominated to carry out such a check for the vehicle that is designated to the duty.
On completion of duty the relevant boxes will have been ticked in the vehicle log book that the weekly check has been completed and countersigned by manager.
If van check highlights that the vehicle is unroadworthy the vehicle is rejected and a subsequent PMT completed identifying the reason for the rejection.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Weekly van checks
In all Health and Safety legislation and guidance, work vans need to be checked by a 'competent person'. Therefore, RM must prove that it has been completed by a competent person. Telling the postie to do it does not remove the managers responsibility, it is up to him to prove competency of the person completing ie training COMPLETED, applicable previous experience etc. If I had an accident due to a fault after a so called check I'd say I've never implied/ said or been asked if I'm competent to check. I signed up to deliver the post and was not asked about vehicle checks in the application process or interviews.
Organisations think they can shunt responsibilty onto others with a video session and signing something. In a court this proves nothing because you are not tested on competency. But managers are always ACCOUNTABLE. Just because you watch a kidney transplant on video and sign to say you watched and understood, is not the same as competency.
Organisations think they can shunt responsibilty onto others with a video session and signing something. In a court this proves nothing because you are not tested on competency. But managers are always ACCOUNTABLE. Just because you watch a kidney transplant on video and sign to say you watched and understood, is not the same as competency.
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
This is one of my pet hates, collection, cover, adhoc all use the van I use on a daily basis, and I am always coming back of day off annual leave ect to find food waste, boxes in the back, damage to the van which I then have to sign off as the other people that use are lazy twats, no one takes responsibility so if I left it all the tyres would be bold, and there would be loads of problems with the van, Basically no one can be arsed to sign the van of which takes 2 mins to sign the sheet, or take there stuff out of the van.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Weekly van checks
Is it covered in the changeover?azza30 wrote: I signed up to deliver the post and was not asked about vehicle checks in the application process or interviews.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Tuesday is a shorter working day so the van checks could be done on any day.Celgar wrote:We do the weekly check on every Tuesday usually as that is nearly always a light day in terms of amount of mail. Therefore there is always time to do it and no excuse not to.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Duty hours on each day are different in our DO to try to align to workload. Duty hours on Tuesdays are a bit longer to cover for WTLL etc so there is time available on Tuesdays to do the weekly van checks.bmccoll wrote:Tuesday is a shorter working day so the van checks could be done on any day.Celgar wrote:We do the weekly check on every Tuesday usually as that is nearly always a light day in terms of amount of mail. Therefore there is always time to do it and no excuse not to.
It isn't rocket science to do a weekly van check. You only need basic common sense knowledge to do it. Fluids,lights,controls,cleanliness,damage,Tyre tread depths & pressure. Voila!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Kick the tyre once and check there is four wheels attached is about the depth of checks most people go to if we're honest.
I check the bulbs and the tyres are legal, basically what I do to my own car otherwise I have never once been trained to do anything else. There's two guys who do the checks at our office, they're full timers and that's all they do all morning and (I assume) have been given some training in doing it.
I check the bulbs and the tyres are legal, basically what I do to my own car otherwise I have never once been trained to do anything else. There's two guys who do the checks at our office, they're full timers and that's all they do all morning and (I assume) have been given some training in doing it.