ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Marking packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'm working with somebody next week who I know is going to moan because I don't mark my packets. I always did, but then worked with somebody for 3 weeks who refused so just got used to not. It's much quicker prepping. I suspect this person will complain to a manager if I don't, do you HAVE to mark them? I can't really remember if we're trained to do it or not :hmmmm
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by jd9442 »

Well you ain’t allowed to write on envelopes/mail to show there’s a packet for that house
Everyone does though
How did you manage whilst out for 3 weeks?
Remembering 15 packets for 15 doors seems worth the time it takes marking them in prep
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Seymour Buts »

I just put them in order in the bag, the order in which you're gonna deliver them. It's easy once you're used to it to be honest.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Marking packets

Post by Stormproof »

I've never marked a packet, just turn for them in the bundle.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Celgar »

It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Chris413 »

Celgar wrote:It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
What I do I put a 739 into a slot with the address on the 739. being in a van I also put a L or S for large or small item. This way I don't miss any packet or parcel.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by cpsteve »

Chris413 wrote:
Celgar wrote:It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
What I do I put a 739 into a slot with the address on the 739. being in a van I also put a L or S for large or small item. This way I don't miss any packet or parcel.
Thats a no-no just turn a letter.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Chris413 »

cpsteve wrote:
Chris413 wrote:
Celgar wrote:It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
What I do I put a 739 into a slot with the address on the 739. being in a van I also put a L or S for large or small item. This way I don't miss any packet or parcel.
Thats a no-no just turn a letter.
Lol no thanks tried it spent all day going back on packets I found, I don't have a great memory and this works for me.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Jpro747 »

Celgar wrote:It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
Rural delivery here too. I just load my parcels in the back of the van in the order they get delivered then keep a mental note of where the next one is.

Image
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Seymour Buts »

Jpro747 wrote:
Celgar wrote:It's not covered in the training as far as I know. From what I remember a lot of the training isn't relevant to doing the actual job anyway. 'Many ways to skin a cat' as they say.

Personally I'm on a rural delivery on my own so that is obviously less bother than shared walks in this respect. I divide the walk into the same seven sections each day - one going into a pouch to walk a small estate and the rest into six separate large trays. Where possible the small packets go into the bundles and anything larger goes into each or on top of the respective tray. I partially remember what is there and have a look in the tray I am working from occasionally. Sometimes I have to go back on myself but not very often. I put an elastic band around SD items and they either go into the bundles or in the trays depending on size. I can usually remember how many of those I have and if there are any for the end or last third of my delivery I will usually break off route early on when convenient and get them delivered.
Onto the main question I think the most common method is to turn a letter round the wrong way for any houses that have parcels. One postie at our office writes the house name for any parcel on a P739 card and inserts in the relevant spot in the bundle. Or you could do something like turning a letter upside down or writing a small asterisk in the corner of a envelope. Trouble is these little things all take more time of which we never have enough of. :hmmmm
Rural delivery here too. I just load my parcels in the back of the van in the order they get delivered then keep a mental note of where the next one is.

Image
Same. No marked packets, no oversized lists. Packets in order in the bag, oversized in order it's gonna be delivered. Just look at what's next; remember that one.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Marking packets

Post by NewPostieUK »

If I have a bag that someone else has packed, I have no idea what is in it. How am I supposed to know which house has a packet? I need either letter turned round or some other way of knowing.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by CPTNemoUK »

If I have a packet I turn the letter for that address. If there Is no letter I put a p739 in the slot. Putting packets in order in your bag saves you time while out also.
2Shedz
Posts: 50
Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by 2Shedz »

just line them up in perstop and make a mental note of next one.
Smiffy
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Marking packets

Post by fb1969 »

Never marked anything for packets. I put them in the pouch next to, or on top of, the bundle they are for - or start a bundle at the house with a packet. If there is a packet for the last house I've never seen the logic of the packet being anywhere other than at the back of the pouch.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Marking packets

Post by Justanotherstar »

Put a blank 739 in or turn a letter, the time spent doing that will be less than the time it takes to go back to missed addresses...if I have anymore than 2 packets a loop with no markers i'm screwed :chuckle