ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
I use to have to cycle a heavy bike loaded with mail 3-4 miles over a hill to just get to the start of my delivery. Now I just hop in and out the van, happy days. Though I do find I dislike the rain more I sit in the van.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
No because I'm out walking for 6 hours not 3 
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
Nope. It was much less tiring using a bike.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
The job is harder on the legs but better on the back, i feel sorry for the p/t posties who get the hard outside work and not the easy inside bit for much less money.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
no , 6 - 7 hours on the street is killing me now even with a lwt , but at least I don't carry bags anymore 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
I suppose in some respects it is easier and in others it is harder. There is probably more stress and pressure nowadays with cost cutting, not enough staff or duty hours, poor equipment and shortages of basics like redirection bags and other sundries. Back when we had bikes there were a lot more letters & flats and a pouch of mail would usually be well over the 16kg limit - not uncommon for the weight to be over 25kg in a pouch in the tray. We might have had an additional pouch on our shoulder with some packets/parcels so we resembled donkeys. The worst scenario was when it snowed a lot which thankfully didn't happen too often. On balance taking everything into consideration it is probably worse now and the future isn't bright.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
When i got my own duty 6/7 years ago i was determined that i wasn't going to carry 16kg bags, back in the day when we worked on our own my duty was 3/4 bag duty all heavy bags with 1 bag drop.
P&L arrived i changed that so all the bags were 1 bundle so we now have 6 bags each just on my duty all pretty light.
So the weight on my back is a lot easier unfortunately we lapse most days so psychically im doing more.
P&L arrived i changed that so all the bags were 1 bundle so we now have 6 bags each just on my duty all pretty light.
So the weight on my back is a lot easier unfortunately we lapse most days so psychically im doing more.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
Relative newbie so can't say, I will say however that it totally depends on duty. I've been covering a rural lately and it's like being on light duties, literally didn't need a bag. Biggest street I've been doing is 18 drops and any parcels I couldn't carry I dropped in the van. Been lovely to be honest!
Some of the duties in our office are massive however, you can't even access some by road so you've no choice to load the bags which end up ridiculously large.
Some of the duties in our office are massive however, you can't even access some by road so you've no choice to load the bags which end up ridiculously large.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
Back when I used to have a bike duty I think I had about seven bag drops - one pouch at each drop weighing about 25kg.lcook282 wrote:When i got my own duty 6/7 years ago i was determined that i wasn't going to carry 16kg bags, back in the day when we worked on our own my duty was 3/4 bag duty all heavy bags with 1 bag drop.
P&L arrived i changed that so all the bags were 1 bundle so we now have 6 bags each just on my duty all pretty light.
So the weight on my back is a lot easier unfortunately we lapse most days so psychically im doing more.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
+1DGH wrote:Nope. It was much less tiring using a bike.
-
plymouth3
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 06 Jul 2010, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
I think the bags have got lighter due to less mags however more packets obviously.
My office was very early in the park and loop switch, about 7 years ago.
We went from 3-3.5 hour cycle to about 4.5 to 5 hour walking.
I can say that injuries at walk have increased four fold. In an office of about 50, I would say about 20 have been made redundant or medically retired in last four years. Numerous back and hip problems however by far the biggest problem at the moment is plantar faciitis, currently 5 off long sick, 2 on light duties, and numerous been off and back on duty with this problem.
I feel this is a major problem due to erupt across the company.
My office was very early in the park and loop switch, about 7 years ago.
We went from 3-3.5 hour cycle to about 4.5 to 5 hour walking.
I can say that injuries at walk have increased four fold. In an office of about 50, I would say about 20 have been made redundant or medically retired in last four years. Numerous back and hip problems however by far the biggest problem at the moment is plantar faciitis, currently 5 off long sick, 2 on light duties, and numerous been off and back on duty with this problem.
I feel this is a major problem due to erupt across the company.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
Physically easier?

-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
A mixed bag of replies here,been in the job for 36 years have my rural driving duty,and at the age of 57 seem to be getting more aches and pains,just due to age and wear and tare I guess,and yes as I get older I get slower,that’s ageing for you,just annoyed every office is run different with budgets and lapsing issues be adhered to or not depending on how it’s managed,am after a job share with a work colegue as we look to wind down into retirement,
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
Injuries do seem to be much more prevelant than they used to be. I believe the bikes used to give your legs a rest when you were cycling. Now it's just slog...slog...slogplymouth3 wrote:
I can say that injuries at walk have increased four fold. In an office of about 50, I would say about 20 have been made redundant or medically retired in last four years. Numerous back and hip problems however by far the biggest problem at the moment is plantar faciitis, currently 5 off long sick, 2 on light duties, and numerous been off and back on duty with this problem.
I feel this is a major problem due to erupt across the company.
Agree that Plantars is a Bastard. I suffered with it for over a year, and I must admit it was the most painful, and soul destroying, injury I've had in this job! At least if you break your leg (we've got one of those and a broken arm) you're off work until it's sorted. With Plantars it just never seems to improve and you've just got to get on with the job! I was told by the Doctor it was probably caused by a suden increase in physical activity (You mean like when you take a bike of someone and they have to walk 8 miles a day)?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Anybody else find the job physically easy than it use to be?
No i have to say the job was alot easier using the bike than pushing an HCT round