ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by crimson king »

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, couldn't see it anywhere though

In our DO for the past couple of weeks we are met by a manager as we get back and asked a dozen or so questions from a spread sheet. These include:

Did you encounter any h &s issues on your duty today?
Did you complete?
If not what did you cut off?
Did you deliver your specials by one?
Any issues with your PDA?
How many form lefts did you bring back?
Did you try neighbours?
Have you signed back in?
Have you lost the will to live yet?

It's a pain in the ass, I can tell you, especially when there are five or six posties in front of you at two minutes to three! And if you don't do it and just slip out the door they take it that you never came back...

Anyway, any other DOs doing this or is it just a local thing?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by Smir »

Sounds like a right jobsworth,

One at our DO hides all the signing out sheets, and stands there looking at everyone lol
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by Celgar »

It's probably a good idea if they ask about any faults with the PDA especially if they are going to pass that info higher up the chain but the other stuff isn't necessary. It just shows a lack of trust.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Sounds like a Local Idea...... Never had anything like that! :crazy: As we know there's about 1000 Delivery Offices in the Business so it's no surprise that different Areas, and Offices, try different ideas. As mentioned on another post PDA actuals can be used to "Look at duty structures", I resist saying Check Performance (although I'm sure some Dickhead DOM will try that out before much longer). :no no

Although I'm not a Company Man I am aware that we work with some lazy bastards. The ammount of people we employ suggests that there could be quite a lot of them about. :shock: If different Delivery Offices are trying different approaches to try and sort their problem out it only makes sense. :hmmmm It may be a pain having to wait to answer the DOMs questionaire but just book it as OT if you go over your hours. In the past I've had to book OT for the ammount of time the DOM wasted trying to convince me that I had enough time for lapsing. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by robbertwhitton »

As much as a pain it seems I would welcome to see a manager when I return,and if they will act on any issues you raise,but as ever I fear it’s a meaningless tick box exercise that will achieve nothing,and wish they hadn’t started no doubt,please don’t start interfering now and showing a bit of interest on how our day has been,and the general problems on a daily basis which we have to deal with usually un managed!are they trying to up there game to justify there jobs etc.the constant examples on here on how they manage and treat staff doesn’t make good reading however way you look at it,and if you let it get to you it will mess you up,ive often wondered what the brief is for new and existing managers,(I can guess)and why would you want a job as such in this hostile environment,what’s the pay like?
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by zipmeister »

My DOM showed me the briefing for this the other day so I think its national but they haven't started doing it yet.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by robbertwhitton »

And better still he can see your back late and authorise the appropriate amount of overtime that your due,brilliant!,, bring it on
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by robbertwhitton »

Smir wrote:Sounds like a right jobsworth,

One at our DO hides all the signing out sheets, and stands there looking at everyone lol
Ha! God he sounds like a right laugh? Great to see him making the most of his time in annoying staff ,to what purpose,what does he want to achieve?
soltan
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Aug 2007, 12:34

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by soltan »

Would this time be added to your poaching off time and the end of your duty
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by postslippete »

Sounds like a local idea. It gives the managers something to do I suppose.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by rubberbond »

postslippete wrote:Sounds like a local idea. It gives the managers something to do I suppose.
I noticed it a few months back ,so I don't think it's a local initiative,they haven't got the wherewithal to think independently. It's to do with engaging with staff, or "our people" ,as we are patronisingly referred to. It's all part of a wider picture, because they consistently get hammered on "have your say" ,for their complete inability to deal properly wth people,it's part of the overall strategy, which is why you get propaganda like The Courier and all the rest of the drivel they send out,telling you how lucky you are to work for such a fantastic company ,thankfully I don't get any of that because I sent it back as refused and they stopped sending it.
Personally I found it a bit unnerving and unnatural,as I try not to engage with the awful mamnagement that we have.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by NewPostieUK »

I can't see a manager using the phrase 'cut off', but what do I know, there's nobody around by the time I get back. I doubt they'd hang around long enough to ask me anything.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by scoobydo79 »

Lol.Tried it with us.We asked them have You got My leave sheet sorted? Have My shoes arrived yet?Have You redone My frame yet? Pelt them with the same s**t they drip feed You and they will soon stop it
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by crimson king »

scoobydo79 wrote:Lol.Tried it with us.We asked them have You got My leave sheet sorted? Have My shoes arrived yet?Have You redone My frame yet? Pelt them with the same s**t they drip feed You and they will soon stop it
Awesome! Thanks for the replies, guys, but this is the one I'm going to adapt and use. Love it.

Especially "have you redone my frame yet?"

Double awesome! I love this place.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

End of Day Managerial Meet & Greet

Post by crimson king »

NewPostieUK wrote:I can't see a manager using the phrase 'cut off', but what do I know, there's nobody around by the time I get back. I doubt they'd hang around long enough to ask me anything.
Mate, it's common terminology in our DO, posties and management.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.