ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

shorter working week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by sjnb6 »

I was under the impression that the shorter working week was in disagreement. po want it off at the start and Union taken off the end .
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by number one »

sjnb6 wrote:I was under the impression that the shorter working week was in disagreement. po want it off at the start and Union taken off the end .
“Po” ?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by aiden01 »

number one wrote:
sjnb6 wrote:I was under the impression that the shorter working week was in disagreement. po want it off at the start and Union taken off the end .
“Po” ?
Post office maybe?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by SpacePhoenix »

The Post Office isn't part of the Royal Mail group anymore (must be at least a couple of years ago now that they were split off). There's no way that the time will be taken off the ends of shifts, in MCs it would mean failing work and in DOs it's only a matter of time before dispatches from MCs get pushed back so it'll be pointless DO staff being in when they won't have any work to sort
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by Celgar »

The SWW is certainly in disagreement in some areas or ours at least. I don't know whether it is in disagreement nationally. To be honest you would think this kind of major detail would have been settled in the pay deal negotiations. Another example of how badly the business & the union is currently being run. We really need new bosses and upper level staff at both RM & the CWU.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

shorter working week

Post by NewPostieUK »

Celgar wrote:To be honest you would think this kind of major detail would have been settled in the pay deal negotiations. .
You'd think ALL the details would be sorted before the vote, but NONE were (apart from pay increase).
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I suggested to our DOM, "Why not take an hour OFF Saturdays"? Most of our staff manage to finish early. He said we'll probably have to start 12 minutes later ever day, he already wants us to work Longs & Shorts WHICH I BLOODY DISAGREE WITH (but it's been agreed by the Unit Rep, although I would have thought he might have taken it to a vote) :sad:

Because we knocked a minute off the last time we used to finish at 13.48, but because it's easier to work out I think most of us rounded it up to 13.50. So RM already made 10 minutes a week out of most of us. BUT I'm certainly not going to let them get away with 20 mins. Plus because of the Longs & Shorts the start/finishing times are different everyday FFS! :arrrghhh I'll just have to sharpen my pencil and get my notebook out. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by rambo1 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I suggested to our DOM, "Why not take an hour OFF Saturdays"? Most of our staff manage to finish early. He said we'll probably have to start 12 minutes later ever day, he already wants us to work Longs & Shorts WHICH I BLOODY DISAGREE WITH (but it's been agreed by the Unit Rep, although I would have thought he might have taken it to a vote) :sad:

Because we knocked a minute off the last time we used to finish at 13.48, but because it's easier to work out I think most of us rounded it up to 13.50. So RM already made 10 minutes a week out of most of us. BUT I'm certainly not going to let them get away with 20 mins. Plus because of the Longs & Shorts the start/finishing times are different everyday FFS! :arrrghhh I'll just have to sharpen my pencil and get my notebook out. :cuppa
You mean your hrs are still the same on Tuesday and Wednesday? You're not working say an hr or more less on a Tuesday? We've been on 6hr 50 min Tuesdays for yrs (full time) . Amazes me how different offices are run when its all the same company. If you ask me, we should all be on 4 day weeks.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by Dorset Plodder »

All our working days used to be the same 0600-1350. We have now gone to Shorts & longs were we work less on Tues & Sats but Longer on Weds & Thurs... I think. :crazy: It makes no difference to me because my duty has been too BIG for years (but I inherited it like that) so I was only just finishing within my time on Tues & Sat.... the rest I book Pressure, or use the cutting off procedure. :thumbup

Your right that no two DOs are the same in this Business... it's crazy :crazy: Our main problem is regardless of the last two revisions, one being done by planners the other Internally, we are still unable to equal the duties up. :arrrghhh The usual "Mafia" are able to grab the same dozen duties, which are considered easy, then the remainder have to squabble over the remainder. The last couple of Junior Posties are left with the Real Bastard Duties. :no no I feel really sorry for them but the same "Mafia" always seem to get away with murder. :thumbdown

The biggest problem is our inbalance between Indoor & Outdoor work. The "Mafia" invariably have little outdoor work (mainly being Rurals) so their duties are made up with a lot of indoor work. IMO they then "Skive Off" the indoor element... Sneak Away from IPS.... Prep their Duties when they should be Double Prepping other duties.... Bullying others to do longer IPS than they should be doing..... Not returning to IPS when everyones called back up by the DOM.... all the little skives that we all know so well. :no no Then once they're out IMO they "Stream" the mail and avoid a lot of the longer Rural Deliveries (that take much Longer) often leaving the really long ones for their Relief to do on their days off! :mad A few of them are matey with the PHG so he'll throw households off for them during the day, and one of thems even got the Romec Cleaner throwing her Households off for her.... I s**t you not! :no no

It's mainly due to some of these "Mafia" coming in too early and standing around doing nothing.... and Getting Paid for it.... that a new DOM pushed us to have an Internal Revision and a Resign (basically because it meant he didn't have to deal with these assholes) ..... and it didn't reallly effect these guys. Instead he could have just told them to stop taking the piss and added a chunk of Outdoor Work to their Duties. He also bought in the Longs & Shorts. Surprise Surprise the "Mafia" are still getting back an hour early a day. :arrrghhh Which is were we are now. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by Celgar »

The longer and shorter days is designed to match hours to workload which is meant to keep RM off the offices back. Tuesday duty time is often made longer to accommodate WTLL which is supposed to include watching badly made films and discussing them afterwards. There are so many variables though so sometimes a day that should be busy is quiet or you might get a Monday and/or a Saturday that is the busiest day of the week. There is a 'psychological' element to Saturdays which often results in many posties finishing earlier than any other day even if it is busy. Leave that one there for you to muse on ...........

PS. We aren't able to book pressure/extended or cut off in our DO but I recognise most of what DP has written in some aspects. The seniority system has a lot to answer for IMO but it is so firmly entrenched within RM and more so in the CWU that I doubt anything will ever change.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by terry2972 »

Celgar wrote:The longer and shorter days is designed to match hours to workload which is meant to keep RM off the offices back. Tuesday duty time is often made longer to accommodate WTLL which is supposed to include watching badly made films and discussing them afterwards. There are so many variables though so sometimes a day that should be busy is quiet or you might get a Monday and/or a Saturday that is the busiest day of the week. There is a 'psychological' element to Saturdays which often results in many posties finishing earlier than any other day even if it is busy. Leave that one there for you to muse on ...........

PS. We aren't able to book pressure/extended or cut off in our DO but I recognise most of what DP has written in some aspects. The seniority system has a lot to answer for IMO but it is so firmly entrenched within RM and more so in the CWU that I doubt anything will ever change.
I don’t understand how can you not book extended if needed or cut off????
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by Celgar »

terry2972 wrote:
Celgar wrote:The longer and shorter days is designed to match hours to workload which is meant to keep RM off the offices back. Tuesday duty time is often made longer to accommodate WTLL which is supposed to include watching badly made films and discussing them afterwards. There are so many variables though so sometimes a day that should be busy is quiet or you might get a Monday and/or a Saturday that is the busiest day of the week. There is a 'psychological' element to Saturdays which often results in many posties finishing earlier than any other day even if it is busy. Leave that one there for you to muse on ...........

PS. We aren't able to book pressure/extended or cut off in our DO but I recognise most of what DP has written in some aspects. The seniority system has a lot to answer for IMO but it is so firmly entrenched within RM and more so in the CWU that I doubt anything will ever change.
I don’t understand how can you not book extended if needed or cut off????
It's difficult. They say if we want to do that then no one can go home before the duty time ends each day. Trouble is a lot of them don't want to do that. Which leaves me where I am .
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by superports »

I would love a Lino or Dom to tell me I couldn't claim overtime because someone went home before their duty end. Surely its illegal withholding payment for work performed.
Is the Dom so short sighted not to see if he wants people to stay to their duty finish, that he's going to be up s**t creek if everyone says they'll only work to their duty finish time when the mail gets heavy?
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by terry2972 »

Celgar wrote:
terry2972 wrote:
Celgar wrote:The longer and shorter days is designed to match hours to workload which is meant to keep RM off the offices back. Tuesday duty time is often made longer to accommodate WTLL which is supposed to include watching badly made films and discussing them afterwards. There are so many variables though so sometimes a day that should be busy is quiet or you might get a Monday and/or a Saturday that is the busiest day of the week. There is a 'psychological' element to Saturdays which often results in many posties finishing earlier than any other day even if it is busy. Leave that one there for you to muse on ...........

PS. We aren't able to book pressure/extended or cut off in our DO but I recognise most of what DP has written in some aspects. The seniority system has a lot to answer for IMO but it is so firmly entrenched within RM and more so in the CWU that I doubt anything will ever change.
I don’t understand how can you not book extended if needed or cut off????
It's difficult. They say if we want to do that then no one can go home before the duty time ends each day. Trouble is a lot of them don't want to do that. Which leaves me where I am .
It’s not easy for you glad I don’t work there as I would be Billy no mates as I need to cut off at times and I certainly wouldn’t work for free
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

shorter working week

Post by mickeymacca »

Celgar wrote:
terry2972 wrote:
Celgar wrote:The longer and shorter days is designed to match hours to workload which is meant to keep RM off the offices back. Tuesday duty time is often made longer to accommodate WTLL which is supposed to include watching badly made films and discussing them afterwards. There are so many variables though so sometimes a day that should be busy is quiet or you might get a Monday and/or a Saturday that is the busiest day of the week. There is a 'psychological' element to Saturdays which often results in many posties finishing earlier than any other day even if it is busy. Leave that one there for you to muse on ...........

PS. We aren't able to book pressure/extended or cut off in our DO but I recognise most of what DP has written in some aspects. The seniority system has a lot to answer for IMO but it is so firmly entrenched within RM and more so in the CWU that I doubt anything will ever change.
I don’t understand how can you not book extended if needed or cut off????
It's difficult. They say if we want to do that then no one can go home before the duty time ends each day. Trouble is a lot of them don't want to do that. Which leaves me where I am .
So if someone is going home early everyday, you can't claim docket if you go over every day.......... because you might upset their arrangment??
'Libraries gave us power'