ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Recent PDA Updates
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Has anyone noticed how bad the PDA updates are now? they are so bad the keyboard has gone blue a black box keeps appearing with volume icons on, that annoying navigation still pops up, you can no longer get into the setting for auto rotate or brightness or bigger or smaller text, in fact my opinion its gone even slower or is just me? thoughts on this please!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Some issues might be down to the update of the Android software that the RM apps run onKings Norton wrote:Has anyone noticed how bad the PDA updates are now? they are so bad the keyboard has gone blue a black box keeps appearing with volume icons on, that annoying navigation still pops up, you can no longer get into the setting for auto rotate or brightness or bigger or smaller text, in fact my opinion its gone even slower or is just me? thoughts on this please!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
I didn't know there were options for auto rotate, brightness, or text size. Having said that the default screen options seem fine to me. The 'biue' update, as I shall name it here, seems to have reduced the occurance of timing out and the screen going black unless it's just me. You can now select upper & lower case letters although for the most part I don't see that much use for this option. The most popular annoyance is still joint number one 'incident report' & 'adhoc collections/delivery' coming up on screen. These two options should be much harder to select. I would remove the navigation option as well for obvious reasons.Kings Norton wrote:Has anyone noticed how bad the PDA updates are now? they are so bad the keyboard has gone blue a black box keeps appearing with volume icons on, that annoying navigation still pops up, you can no longer get into the setting for auto rotate or brightness or bigger or smaller text, in fact my opinion its gone even slower or is just me? thoughts on this please!
If I could turn back time I would go back to the paper collection sheets. Unfortunately the march of technology prevents us doing so.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Recent PDA Updates
I had three different PDA's last week, all were crap. Takes 2 or 3 goes to scan a 2d barcode, they kept freezing, going to random screens and at one point there was no light (no beam that scans).
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Ah yes it has been noticed that zapping a barcode will not necessarily bring the item up on screen. Our DOM has told us to not rely on the beeping sound and always check all the items are listed on the PDA screen. I don't know if this problem has been reported to the RM department responsible for PDA software.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Recent PDA Updates
On two days last week I had the scanning application crash on the PDA. The first time I did a soft reboot using the button, but the second time the PDA had totally locked up so I had to pull the battery.
I'm a float so it was different PDAs and I know others have had the same problem.
I'm a float so it was different PDAs and I know others have had the same problem.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
I had the software crash one day last week as well which doesn't usually happen that often. I had to do the usual setup process again from zapping the barcode on my ID badge onwards. Luckily it had kept the delivery and collection numbers otherwise I would have had to return to the DO.fb1969 wrote:On two days last week I had the scanning application crash on the PDA. The first time I did a soft reboot using the button, but the second time the PDA had totally locked up so I had to pull the battery.
I'm a float so it was different PDAs and I know others have had the same problem.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Do you have a wee blue pouch for collections? If PDA goes tits up we have been told that you can just use the collection barcode on the pouch for both delivery and collection. I also write both barcodes down and keep them in the van along with all the entry codes for apartment blocks and sheltered accommodation.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Just put 10 zeros in the pda as a delivery route if yours goes tits up. Works everytime.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Here’s an idea, why don’t they make a way for us to report PDA issues to the IT department? It seems they don’t know what issues we have as there’s no communication between us. They still haven’t addressed some of the key issues since the beginning... scanning an item but it doesn’t appear on screen, crashing after obtaining a signature, collections should be separate from delivery screen so we don’t keep clicking on the boxes. Blue text really isn’t helping much!!!
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Recent PDA Updates
That would make far too much sense, so will never happen. RM don't like people who do the job to have any input into how the job is done, therefore the person using the PDA is the last person they would ever want feedback from.Jpro747 wrote:Here’s an idea, why don’t they make a way for us to report PDA issues to the IT department?
Having said that - I am with you in what you are saying
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Recent PDA Updates
Would it make sense to have over 100 000 people being able to report back on whether they like the blue screen or not?
Probably not.
Probably not.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
You should be ashamed Jpro747, thinking a Communications company should let frontline staff talk with other departments, that's crazy talk! 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Recent PDA Updates
Electric gate codes is something I already have covered. I think I have the delivery barcode in the van glove box. The collections barcode is a more recent change so I don't have that in the van. Might be a good idea to have both codes on something laminated in the Vans officially or attached to collection keys for the deliveries. If I remember I will raise this one with our DOM.Sir Henry wrote:Do you have a wee blue pouch for collections? If PDA goes tits up we have been told that you can just use the collection barcode on the pouch for both delivery and collection. I also write both barcodes down and keep them in the van along with all the entry codes for apartment blocks and sheltered accommodation.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.