ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Had enough already, advice needed.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
leo123
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 15:19
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by leo123 »

Hi everyone,

I started on a 24 hour contract around 4 months ago now and I have decided that its just not for me!

I am getting absolutely no job satisfaction from posting and I spend my whole round overthinking the job, my daily work consists of turning up at 9.30, getting straight in a van with an older fella who doesn't want to speak to anyone because he hates the job himself, rushing to finish in time without a break as they don't want to pay overtime. The only time anyone wants to speak when I get back to the office is a union rep that persistently tells me to join the union because 'you'll need me one day', there is no teamwork in my office and the divide between the posties and managers is unbearable, I really miss the teamwork and being around positive enthusiastic people.

I have come here to ask for help in moving forward, I would like to move on and would like to ask the following question;

What jobs out there are for me that currently being a postie would help me get?

I understand that its un-skilled so that only gives limited opportunities so has anybody any experiences in moving on or know any postmen that have moved onto more fulfilling full time roles?

I do love working outdoors and don't mind hard graft, I have just recently applied for a track technician for network rail so anything along them lines would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by Decky Boy »

leo123 wrote:
I understand that its un-skilled so that only gives limited opportunities so has anybody any experiences in moving on or know any postmen that have moved onto more fulfilling full time roles?
Sorry to hear that the job doesn't appear to be working out for you. My advice would be to give things a little more time ? Many of us find the job boring and repetitive and unfulfilling a lot of the time. The trick is to make it interesting and keep yourself upbeat and positive ? Sure it's hard graft . . . but because of that you have the satisfaction of knowing that every penny earnt is well deserved and hard won ? ? ?

I take issue with your assumption that posties are un-skilled. . . good posties are highly skilled individuals. Delivering mail in the 21st century is not an easy job and it is unlikely you'll have the skills-set needed yet to be a competent and happy postman ?

I know workloads can be unmanageable and partners challenging to get on with. . . but it's still a great job :thumbup

Give it more time brother . . .
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by greengiant »

leo123 wrote:Hi everyone,

I started on a 24 hour contract around 4 months ago now and I have decided that its just not for me!

I am getting absolutely no job satisfaction from posting and I spend my whole round overthinking the job, my daily work consists of turning up at 9.30, getting straight in a van with an older fella who doesn't want to speak to anyone because he hates the job himself, rushing to finish in time without a break as they don't want to pay overtime. The only time anyone wants to speak when I get back to the office is a union rep that persistently tells me to join the union because 'you'll need me one day', there is no teamwork in my office and the divide between the posties and managers is unbearable, I really miss the teamwork and being around positive enthusiastic people.

I have come here to ask for help in moving forward, I would like to move on and would like to ask the following question;

What jobs out there are for me that currently being a postie would help me get?

I understand that its un-skilled so that only gives limited opportunities so has anybody any experiences in moving on or know any postmen that have moved onto more fulfilling full time roles?

I do love working outdoors and don't mind hard graft, I have just recently applied for a track technician for network rail so anything along them lines would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
I know a couple of posties which left, and ended up getting into the BT Openreach Trainee Engineer scheme. The world, as they say, is your oyster. Good luck for the future whatever you decide. However I do think you need to give it a bit more time. Perhaps you'll be moved to work with a different partner rather than Mr Grump?
leo123
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 15:19
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by leo123 »

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at some trainee engineer jobs as that sounds like me!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by clashcityrocker »

This is one of the problems with part time contracts.
Working for RM should be like being at a big family wedding.
Unfortunately for many part timers they are made to feel like the illegitimate offspring of a distant cousin and nobody really knows who invited them to the big day.
You simply do not belong.

If you are able, ask if there is any prep overtime available in the morning.
You will get to see some different faces in the morning and some of them might be a bit more friendly.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by Shaders »

track technician for network rail so anything along them lines :left:



Very good, I like that :Applause
leo123
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Sep 2018, 15:19
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by leo123 »

Shaders wrote:track technician for network rail so anything along them lines :left:



Very good, I like that :Applause
If only my van share colleague shared the same sense of humour :chuckle
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by hothothot »

How about ice cream man.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by scoobydo79 »

This is the sort of letter the current director of Royal Mail should get to see.Says much about the way this job is now. :sad:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by k979aaa »

scoobydo79 wrote:This is the sort of letter the current director of Royal Mail should get to see.Says much about the way this job is now. :sad:
Maybe that is the way they want it.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by Tomolo208 »

It sounds like you need a transfer to a better office. If you don't take your breaks then you should be booking them as overtime.

Christmas is coming, you have the power to get a better contract because they will need you to work more hours. I started in a similar position to you, but I have transfered and am enjoying the job again.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by world class male »

scoobydo79 wrote:This is the sort of letter the current director of Royal Mail should get to see.Says much about the way this job is now. :sad:
afraid the thinking will be "plenty more who will fill a vacancy"
in my opinion RM are after getting rid of as many long serving posties as possible at whatever cost, then fill it with part timers reliant on overtime.
basically we are pit ponies
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by scoobydo79 »

k979aaa wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:This is the sort of letter the current director of Royal Mail should get to see.Says much about the way this job is now. :sad:
Maybe that is the way they want it.
Hmm good point.Id not thought of that.
supertouring
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 21:47
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by supertouring »

I have passion for activities outside of work, the RM job is to cover the bills, so I spent a lot of the time at work thinking about my other activities.

I come from a high pressure job so actually having time to think about my personal activities is refreshing, which make the actual postal work less tedious.
foxyjarvis
Posts: 51
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
Gender: Male

Had enough already, advice needed.

Post by foxyjarvis »

Leo, what a well written insightful post. I'd look on Royal Mail as a temporary pit stop, while pursuing other employment. 4 months can quite easily turn into 20 years, your instinct is clearly saying it's not for you. Best wishes.